X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bubby
    replied
    Re: Missouri Friends Please Check In

We are doing well in Licking, MO. We had a scary spring, but nothing to compare to Joplin. Our community is doing it's best to help those in Joplin. Even little gestures mean so much to someone who has lost everything. Barb

Leave a comment:

• Bubby
    replied

I'm in south central Missouri. While we were not hit nearly as hard as Joplin, we had a tumultuous Spring with several tornadoes on the ground around us. Our home was struck by lightning about 6 weeks ago and all our electronics were destroyed. Our community has been doing a great deal to help our neighbors in Joplin.....the devastation there is staggering. I was told the quilt shop in Joplin was completely destroyed but the owner and her employee were not hurt.

Leave a comment:

• Susan M
    replied

Glad you both are fine. Better to be safe than sorry so go to the basement. Everything in life can be replaced except for our lives. Take care.

Leave a comment:

• GlendaSue
    replied

He probably is not paranoid...just very cautious. I am not afraid of bad weather (of course, I haven't been where tornadoes happen every time I turn around) But...I do have a great respect for what can possibly happen. Better to be safe than sorry??!!
    I am so glad that you all are fine and safe. My prayers and sympathy goes out to the families that did lose someone in all the tornadoes...in Missouri and Alabama.
    Last edited by GlendaSue; May 24, 2011, 03:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SuzyQue
    replied

Ditto on Sandy. We live in the country, so can't hear sirens. The local TV broadcasters are great on reporting.....till it gets into the country, then they sign off, leaving us a little stranded. There are radio warning systems, but you get to hear reports from every county ......can be very annoying. Better to be annoyed and safe, I guess. Sometimes the funnels drop out of the sky so suddenly without much notice....and it can be a rather lovely day. Generally, the weather is warning enough, but at night............no one can tell because you can't see. We are to have rather large ominous storms tonight with possible tornadoes. Just might sleep in the basement......we'll see.

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

We're in the country - and if we are really concentrating we can barely hear the sirens in the closest city - barely. We have a very good weather radio system in place and keep up with daily weather reports. The last tornado that went through our property was in 1994 and it took out trees - no structural damage. We had more damage from the ice storm in 2007 though.

Leave a comment:

• MaryB
    replied

Thoughts and prayers to everyone affected by this new disaster. Hope all our quilting sisters are OK.

Mary B.

Leave a comment:

• mamaquilt
    replied

Glad you're ok. It must have been a really bad tornado, according to the news and the pictures we'd in the papers. I was wondering if you have a "tornado warning-system" that tells you when you have to go to the basement?

Leave a comment:

• Loonwatcher
    replied

SusieQue and Sandy, so glad you both are ok. I can't imagine what it is like. I'd be scared all the time; especially at night.

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

NW Mo here - away from all the severe damage. We had a tornado hit about 15 miles from us followed by hail as large as soft balls - but we only had winds here about 30 miles an hour. No damage. Up and kicking and worried about friends in Joplin. So far almost all have reported in as safe. I am married to a VERY paranoid man who insists on heading to the basement if it rains!

Leave a comment:

• SuzyQue
    replied

In Missouri---but North of Joplin by quite a ways. Small F1 about 10 miles away----mostly trees and roof damages. It was humid and weird here, but I wasn't even aware we were in a warning zone till it was all over! Suppose to get nasty storms here tomorrow night. The news channels are suggesting we sleep in our basements then. I so hate night time tornadoes! Can't see them coming! We are in the country, so no sirens. MUST plug in that pesky weather radio! Prayers for all of Joplin!

Leave a comment:

• Loonwatcher
    started a topic Missouri Friends Please Check In

Missouri Friends Please Check In

Here's a call for all our Missouri friends in the area of the Joplin tornado. Please check in we are all worried about you and sending our prayers your way.

Hugs,
Working...
X