Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have problems with fraying fabric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WendyI
    replied
    Re: Do you have problems with fraying fabric?

What I want to know is how you actually remember to do this! I get all zoned out when I'm cutting just trying to remember the math and how many pieces I need to cut and I guess I don't really understand which IS the best way to cut the fabric and once it's all in squares how do you remember to sew each one to the proper grain direction? I mean when piecing I'm just grabbing them and putting them together...is this not how you do it? lol

Leave a comment:

• JudyAnn
    replied

Thank you both so very much for your help. I see (now) that you're right Denis, that's exactly why it's raveling so horribly. I always try to make certain it's cut on the grain but I must have really goofed this time... lesson learned and thank you again

Leave a comment:

• Lilly
    replied

Mine is not the voice of long experience but I have lots of screw-ups to reference. When things start fraying on me I give them lots of spritzes of Best Press. Every seam I press I spritz again and by the time the quilt is made things are pretty set. I find that most of my raveling problems are from fabric that is just too soft - maybe too cheap? But maybe I fell in love with it.

Leave a comment:

• Denis
    replied

If fabric is fraying it's because it wasn't cut on the grain. Cutting it exactly on the grain is not easy to do and I don't thing anyone can get it perfect unless you tear it. At this point,, the only way to get it to stop fraying would be to do a zigzag as best you can along the seams if you've already sewn in the strips. I would zigzag both layers in the seam. Doesn't have to be perfect, just enough to stop the fraying. The outer border will get sewn into the binding so I wouldn't bother with it.

Maybe others will have more advice for you.

Leave a comment:

• JudyAnn
    started a topic Do you have problems with fraying fabric?

Do you have problems with fraying fabric?

Hey everyone!

I'm working on a quilt for my granddaughter's birthday. The main fabric is moda and has been great, but the sashing and border fabric is fraying so badly. (very frustrating) ... and it's a Bella solid from M*. I'm just wondering if you have had that problem too?

Have a great day and a Blessed Easter
Working...
X