Hand sewing binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand sewing binding

I'm in the home stretch of a quilt I'm making for a very good friend; her birthday is in September so I have lots of time. I machine stitched my binding to the front yesterday, and even made the final join without twisting and having to unsew it several times! After I make my cut to over lap by the width of the binding, I nest the two ends together and then put the right sides together quickly. It seems to keep them in the correct orientation when I go to sew the bias join. I'm now hand sewing it to the back, and I'm not real good at it (but I like the stitchless look of it.) My question is, do you have to give the thread a good tug when you are stitching it? I have made a couple of other quilts, and sometimes you can see the binding slightly pulling away from the backing if you look very closely. It seems if I pull it snugly, it lays flatter. I think I'm doing it just the way Jenny does in her ultimate binding tutorial.
    I will post pictures of the finished quilt here, but I can't do it on FaceBook because it is a surprise!

Re: Hand sewing binding

I usually give the thread a little tug, but not too tight or it might bunch up and make it not lie flat. Just enough to snug it up.
    Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

I tug it snug and also take a double stitch about every 5th stitch or so, just an added precaution in case the thread breaks somewhere during the life of the quilt, just a small part will come undone.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

Thanks for the tips, my binding is looking pretty good. I don't like doing the corners, but the rest is coming along. It seems to take forever! I can't imagine how it will be when I do my first queen size quilt later this year.

Comment

Have you tried the binding tool? Jenny did a tutorial... BOOM easiest thing ever!

Comment

Working...
          X