Quilting Arts with Pokey Bolton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting Arts with Pokey Bolton

Just finished watching. She had a guest - did not catch her name, but she showed a neat way to make hexies!

You start with a circle, and working from the back side of the fabric, you take a tiny stitch in the center, then you go to the edge, real close but not so close that it frays, and take a small stitch, pull the tread so the edge goes to the center. Then you just keep going, taking a small stitch on the folded points, until you wind up with a hexie, with all the edges folded in to form six sides. Really neat.

Any one else seen this? Maybe have a link to a video showing the technique?
    Vonnie

Re: Quilting Arts with Pokey Bolton

It would be interesting to see this!

Comment

Was it Peggy Rhodes? She has a book out with this method.
      Quick & Easy Hexie Quilts: Rhodes, Wood: 9781604600551: Amazon.com: Books

She was the speaker at my first guild meeting and I was a very new quilter, the thought I came away with was "I can do this".

Comment

Claire - that's it!

Also found this blog: Hexie?s From Circles-31 Days of Scraps | Nita Beshear ? A Patchwork Life

Just a note, she did not make up this method, she watched some Amish women do this so it's not an original design but still awesome.
        Vonnie

Comment

Here we go, a free pdf: https://shop.americanquilter.com/med...s/261/1248.pdf

opps - just pictures of what you can make with the hexies.

Here's a method using an iron: http://www.rileyblakedesigns.com/cut.../6/3/hexagami/
          scroll down about half way.
          Last edited by Vonnie; April 12, 2014, 08:13 AM.
          Vonnie

Comment

I saw it and although I've never been a fan of hexes I'd like to try this method.

Comment

I tried looking for a video and did not find one. If someone finds a video please post a link. It's a lot easier to understand it with a video than looking at the pictures.

I was wondering, if we cut a small hexie out of batting and used it in the center, then maybe a glue stick to hold the sides together, how would that work?

She showed on Quilting Arts how to make a big one, then a small one placing the small on on top of the big one (big one wrong side up with folds showing and small one wrong side down) and using your machine stitch it down. She show what a quilt as you go would look like done this way - really pretty.

Here's a picture of that quilt: http://www.quiltingdaily.com/cfs-fil..._5F00_0173.gif
              Last edited by Vonnie; April 12, 2014, 10:09 AM.
              Vonnie

Comment

Here's a method using an iron: http://www.rileyblakedesigns.com/cut.../6/3/hexagami/

Did you see the sheep quilt at the end of this link? Adorable!!!!
                ~Kathy~

Comment

Originally posted by bkthomas View Post

Did you see the sheep quilt at the end of this link? Adorable!!!!
                  Page Not Found

We're sorry, but the page you're trying to access does not exist. We apologize for this inconvenience.
                  K is for Karen 😊​..................
                  Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                  T - is it TRUE?
                  H - is it HELPFUL?
                  I - is it INSPIRING?
                  N - is it NECESSARY?
                  K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                    Page Not Found

We're sorry, but the page you're trying to access does not exist. We apologize for this inconvenience.
                    try this and see if it works. Riley Blake Designs -- Cutting Corners: Hexagami ~ Dimensional Hexagons!

Kathy, you're right - that is adorable!
                    Vonnie

Comment

Working...
                    X