Washing and Red Dye bleeding!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washing and Red Dye bleeding!

I tossed the Red Wings Fleece blanket (red, white, black colors) into the wash last night, even tossed in a color catcher.
    The red really bled into the large areas of white on one side. Was pretty bummed about it. I washed it again I think two more times with color catchers, each time they came out a lil lighter and the color faded a bit in the white. Then I googled and found that it said that using Synthrapol and some color catchers to fix it. Well I dont have Synthrapol but I did remember seeing on Pinterest about using DAWN dish soap instead of the Synthrapol as it did the same thing. I tossed in two more color catchers and some dawn dish soap and set it to wash again and went to bed. I checked it this morning and the color catchers were still white and the red was gone from the white fabric too, even took it out in the bright morning sun for DH to check and it was back to white. I'm so excited and impressed that some of the simplest stuff works wonders.
    Dena :icon_hi:

Re: Washing and Red Dye bleeding!

So glad it turned out okay! I'm always so nervous when washing for the first time, but that Dawn trick is good to know!
    Ellen =^..^=

Comment

Putting that on my looooooong list of tips to remember! Thanks

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I have used Dawn to wash quilts in but good to know about the red fabric.
        Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

So, tell me about using Dawn. How much, do you need to use the color catchers if you're using Dawn,etc?

Comment

be careful if you are using a front loader. Too much suds is what is bad for them. That is why you have to use HE detergent in them, less sudsing.
            Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

This is very helpful information. Thanks for posting it!

sigpic
              Marci

Comment

I made a red and white herringbone quilt and when I washed it, I put it in the wash with four or five color catchers and I didn't have any red on my white. I think when it's a color that you know will bleed a lot, you have to use more color catchers. The dawn idea is a great idea, but I have a front loader and would be afraid of too many suds.
                I'm really glad that you got your quilt cleaned. Please post a pic, I would love to see it.
                Cil
                A quilt is a blanket of love
                http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
                http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

That's good to know. I have never heard of Syntropal (sp?)
                  Donna

Comment

Do all red fabrics bleed? I'm getting ready to wash a red, white and black quilt I just made for a gift and am wondering how many color catches I should put in the washer. It's a baby quilt, so it's small. Also, I never heard of using Dawn, so do you think if I used that right away it would stop the bleeding?

Comment

When you wash a quilt it's a good idea to take it out of the washer as soon as it's done washing. Wet fabric in a heap is asking for trouble if the dye is bleeding. I'm happy to hear the Dawn worked on your quilt!!
                      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I made a quilt of valor in February, and the red turned the entire quilt hot pink, I had used 3 color catchers in it and it still faded all over the white, I just kept washing and adding more color catchers and after 5 washes the last one with some oxiclean added it finally came out white, so if I had used some dawn in the washer would this not have happened?

Comment

Sorry to be slow getting back. I used maybe a teaspoon or so it was not a lot at all just a quick squirt. I have used Dawn many many times washing diapers and it only takes a small amt. My machine is a new top loading machine, so I am not aware how it would work in a front loading. The quilts I have made before never bled like this and I also used color catchers so I am not sure if because its fleece that it may have bled more.
                          I am not aware how it would work in a front loader.
                          Just a quick squirt really, I use dawn and bleach to clean the ports in our Jacuzzi tub and have went over board and the suds were terrible, but the kids thought it was funny.
                          Dena :icon_hi:

Comment

Working...
                          X