A minute and a half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A minute and a half

So I got up this morning and decided to head to a quilt shop that I had never been to before. Because I live so far from EVERYTHING the trip was 60+ miles away one way, but I had looked at their website and it looked like it was going to be fabulous. Additionally, their newsletter indicated that they were going to have a great FMQ class starting in June so I wanted to talk to the owners or teachers about this class, their Janome machines, and of course check out their fabrics. Well, my total time spent in the store was about 90 seconds. WHAT A HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT! My local Walmart has more fabric (admittedly different quality) and quilting supplies. There was one man there (I assume the owner) who said hello when I walked in, but he quickly went to the back of the store to sew. Never offered to show me anything in his store never said, "Can I sell you an expensive sewing machine?", never really even looked up from his sewing. Needless to say, I left after seeing nothing of interest. Well, at least now I can say I went there....first time....last time. The best part of the day was the drive since the weather is beautiful and the Bradford pear trees are in bloom so I cranked up the radio and sang (loudly) for 125 miles!!!
    Judy

Re: A minute and a half

Judy, let me know where it is so I don't make the same mistake....have you gone to Webfabrics? They have a great brick and mortar store to go along with their web one. I love that place and the folks are great. My only complaint is that they don't do classes.

There is also a nice store in Winchester? Is is Karens? I am drawing a blank right now.....
    Home is where your mother is..........;)

Comment

What a disappointment but at least now you know
      Sharon

Comment

That is SO disappointing! BTDT! I seem to have gotten lucky with the last two but I have been to a couple that were dreary and crowded and not fun to shop in at all...and your experience sounds a lot worse. I think next week I am going to take myself to Toronto to the fabric district...it is SO cool there! There's about four blocks of NOTHING but fabric shops! Wish I had someone to go with me...my DH usually goes but with the way things are...well yah. Anyway, sorry that didn't turn out. Sounds like you had a lovely drive though so that's worth something!

Comment

Judy, which one was it? Was it in Roanoke area? Floyd? Or closer. Have you been to The Sewing Studio in Martinsville? Not my favorite but once the peeps there get to know you, they are friendlier. And by then you know all their aches, pains and etc. LOL. I haven't been in there for a year! Just not enough time to be able to drool there.
          Just outside of Roanoke is Old Trinity Schoolhouse Quilts. I've been there many times when I had a dear friend living in Roanoke. Luscious and I used to go and spend the weekend in Roanoke and hit the LQS's there. Not many of those left I am thinking, but, I know Schoolhouse is because I get their emails. Nice group of folks there. website: Old Trinity Schoolhouse Quilt Shop - Home Page
          There are a few in Lynchburg as well and if you are really wanting a drive there is one in Phenix Va. Virginia Quilt Shop & Quilting Retreats at Threads Run Thru It Inc.
          When I tell you that it is in the middle of nowhere, I mean it. Wish it wasn't so far from me. I felt as if I were halfway to Richmond! And probably was. A few years back when we were making a quilt for Douwe, they were the only ones I could find that carried the fabric I needed. Couldn't wait for online order to come in. It was a fun ride with hubs and we wound up eating dinner in Lynchburg.

Originally posted by jsmetcalf View Post
          So I got up this morning and decided to head to a quilt shop that I had never been to before. Because I live so far from EVERYTHING the trip was 60+ miles away one way, but I had looked at their website and it looked like it was going to be fabulous. Additionally, their newsletter indicated that they were going to have a great FMQ class starting in June so I wanted to talk to the owners or teachers about this class, their Janome machines, and of course check out their fabrics. Well, my total time spent in the store was about 90 seconds. WHAT A HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT! My local Walmart has more fabric (admittedly different quality) and quilting supplies. There was one man there (I assume the owner) who said hello when I walked in, but he quickly went to the back of the store to sew. Never offered to show me anything in his store never said, "Can I sell you an expensive sewing machine?", never really even looked up from his sewing. Needless to say, I left after seeing nothing of interest. Well, at least now I can say I went there....first time....last time. The best part of the day was the drive since the weather is beautiful and the Bradford pear trees are in bloom so I cranked up the radio and sang (loudly) for 125 miles!!!
          Sewing mends the soul.
          sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
          Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
          ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

I'm not in the middle of nowhere in my part of VA, but I do like to know what shops to avoid.

I like to stop at the Quilter's Corner in Midlothian whenever I need to head into Richmond.

Comment

I have driven almost 3 hours before and been treated like that.....never to return again! If shop owners/staff only understood how important it is to be gracious to paying customers.
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Pandabear, whenever I have been up your way, I like that store as well. A good day's drive for us in the SW corner.
                Sewing mends the soul.
                sigpic

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

I almost hate to mention the name of the store for fear it is owned by a member's cousin , but the store is in Greensboro, NC. I'll have to try some of the other ones mentioned. Just gives me another opportunity to drive around singing!!!!
                  Judy

Comment

Wow, well I am so sorry that happened to you...(at least I know its not just me) lol

Keep on singing!!

Jo

Comment

Originally posted by jsmetcalf View Post
                      I almost hate to mention the name of the store for fear it is owned by a member's cousin , but the store is in Greensboro, NC. I'll have to try some of the other ones mentioned. Just gives me another opportunity to drive around singing!!!!
                      I don't like any of the LQS's in GSBO. Snooty doesnt even begin to describe. Wish I'd a known, I could've told you. Now there is one in Winston Salem that one of our sweet sister's from here shops at, but that is a pretty far piece for me to drive to. Dang, Judy, we just need to get together with Allie and take a day trip. hmmm. Let's see what we can do. Can you tell I have Spring Fever??
                      Sewing mends the soul.
                      sigpic

~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie View Post
                        I don't like any of the LQS's in GSBO. Snooty doesnt even begin to describe. Wish I'd a known, I could've told you. Now there is one in Winston Salem that one of our sweet sister's from here shops at, but that is a pretty far piece for me to drive to. Dang, Judy, we just need to get together with Allie and take a day trip. hmmm. Let's see what we can do. Can you tell I have Spring Fever??
                        Spring fever? Hmmmm.....that's why I sing! By the way, I did look up the info on the shop in Phenix. Looks like a delightful place. Not only do we need to get together, but we might need to consider making a retreat out of it up there. Ahhhh....a reasonably local peaceful place to sew, sleep, and eat. Doesn't get much better than that!
                        Judy

Comment

They just opened up the retreat center. Hope you signed up for their newsletter - it doesn't come out too often. And from what they have told me in the past they get a TON of NC quilters that drive up that way all the time as part of their guild. Good grief, how do they do that with the price of fuel? I know, car pooling.
                          We;ll talk soon, girl
                          Sewing mends the soul.
                          sigpic

~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Working...
                          X