Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well if you use the same colored thread....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cathym
    replied
    Re: Well if you use the same colored thread....

I'm still a novice at FMQ though I've tried it intermittently over the years. The main suggestion I have is to use a patterned fabric rather than a solid on the back if you use different threads for bobbin and top. The pattern helps hide errors, too. My LQS owner also recommends using the same thread bobbin and top and she's a great LAQ er, but it doesn't always seem practical.

Leave a comment:

• Sheena
    replied

I agree with Cindirae. Lots of mistakes disappear in the overall picture. I quilted some freehand flowers which were all supposed to have five petals. But some have six! And it doesn't apoil the quilt at all.

Leave a comment:

• cindirae
    replied

One of the biggest lessons I've learned is that after you've quilted the entire quilt, those errors won't show at all when you look at the overall quilting. I just finished a quilt that has mistakes in every.single.block. but when you hold it up, they're not noticable at all! The eye looks at everything, not just one little section. Plus, I have a mantra: Stand back 6 feet from the quilt. If you can't see the mistake, it's not a mistake at all, but a design element! Mistakes are nothing more than proving you're human, and didn't quilt it perfectly via a computer program. I love seeing mistakes in quilts - they show the love and hard work that was put into making the quilt

Leave a comment:

• Annav
    replied

its good to practice with contrasting thread though. You can test your tension and see better where your problems are. You can also see where you need to practice more, like around curves and see how changing the speed of your hands and foot pedal make a difference. But practice and machingers definitely help!

Leave a comment:

• jsmetcalf
    replied

And hubby is right...the same color thread will help too. Have fun with it!

When I do my quilt I will use the same thread, but to practice I wanted to be able to see it so I could tell how I was doing. Well, the contrasting color did just that....showed every error VERY clearly!!!

Leave a comment:

• Mimis-quilts
    replied

Judy, I promise it will get easier. It's like anything else you do that is new...you concentrate so hard at first and then with practice you barely think about it at all. In place of the supreme slider go to walmart and buy a silicone oven matt...the quilt will glide over your table easily that way. The gloves definitely help. And hubby is right...the same color thread will help too. Have fun with it!

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

Practice definitely helps! Weariness: you need to set a timer & get up at least every 20-30 min. to stretch & move around. Putting on relaxing music helps, too. The FMQ gets me in the neck & shoulders, sometimes in my wrists. You definitely need to take breaks. It really helps to wax your Sew Steady extension table (or table surface) & use the Supreme Slider. The quilt will move more easily. Also use the Machingers quilting gloves. Pretty soon you'll be an old hand at it. JCY

Leave a comment:

• jsmetcalf
    started a topic Well if you use the same colored thread....

Well if you use the same colored thread....

Today I spent the day practicing FMQ. I tried freehanding it...then I copied patterns off the internet, traced them onto tracing paper and followed the design onto a small sandwich...then I tried the pounce thing. All in all, it didn't come out toooooooo badly, but I definitely need to improve the steadiness of my hands and making my stitches more even. Got to say though...it's exhausting!! Really had to concentrate! I'm hoping that someone will reassure me that practice will improve my steadiness and weariness.
    So anyway, I brought my handiwork down to show my husband what I had practiced and his comment was "Well, if you had used the same colored thread I bet no one would notice where you messed up, but for your first try, I think you did okay." I THINK that was a compliment! At least he didn't laugh!
Working...
X