X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angelia
    replied
    Re: Basting with hair spray?

I'm an Elmer's washable school glue user. It is nothing more than a starch, and it washes out easily. The sprays smell so bad--and hairspray with all those chemicals is not for me.
    (And for some reason, my autocorrect tried to turn "hairspray" into "Shakespeare"! What's up with that? )

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

I use windex for ants but I don't think it would work on a quilt.

Leave a comment:

• Genny
    replied

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
    Doesn't the hairspray make a mess when you spray the spider? Hmm, I wonder if hairspray will prevent you from getting lice in your hair?

BTW, vacuums work great, they not only suck up the spider, but the web as well.

Anybody a Big Bang Theory fan? Leonard and Sheldon get Penny to kill spiders for them.
    I don't remember having a mess...but the spider was sure stiff!

Leave a comment:

• Annette Ackley
    replied

Using hair spray was mentioned at our Quilt Guild meeting. I tried it. It didn't seem to stick. I would rather use a basting spray instead. I do like the idea of using hair spray for an ink stain. I could of used it , when my DH got ink on one of my quilts. I could of killed him. His response was: I don't know how that happened. Men!!!! lol

Leave a comment:

• Vickie1965
    replied

Originally posted by coffeebreak View Post
    At Joann's the 505 or is it June Tailor..whichever the brand... is $13. I wait till I get 40/50% off coupons and will always use a 50% off and get a can. That is the only way I can afford it! I pick up a can every month at 50% off. I use it a bit sparingly and with pins. I tend to use it mostly in the middle and pin more on the sides. Don't think I'll bother with hair spray unless I am desperate!
    I bought some at Joanns with a coupon, it was June Tailor basting spray. It's nothing like 505, terrible fumes and just sticky mess. Very thankful for the posts about 505 being on sale. Thank you!

And don't think I'd try the hairspray either.

Leave a comment:

• Vonnie
    replied

Doesn't the hairspray make a mess when you spray the spider? Hmm, I wonder if hairspray will prevent you from getting lice in your hair?

BTW, vacuums work great, they not only suck up the spider, but the web as well.

Anybody a Big Bang Theory fan? Leonard and Sheldon get Penny to kill spiders for them.

Leave a comment:

• CARRIE M
    replied

Don't know about using hair spray as a basting spray BUT it's great for taking ink stains out of fabric. I had an ink pen leak in my shirt pocket and a co-worker told me to use hair spray on the stain. It worked better than a stain stick.

Leave a comment:

• Kateskloset
    replied

@Kateskloset: Doesn't the glue stick clog up the needle?
    I saw that tip on Facebook from a quilting page. It never has gummed up my needle. I have probably basted 4 baby quilts with it and it washes out beautifully. I have even basted with the purple washable stick glue and it washed right out. Plus you can get a pack of 4 at the Dollar tree. And when school starts it will be on sale really cheap...I will stock up!

Leave a comment:

• WendyI
    replied

Originally posted by Annav View Post
    Using hair spray is something that never crossed my mind. It is not made for fabric -- it is made for hair (and killing spiders -- I thought I was the only one that had to use hair spray when her husband wasn't around to save me).
    LOL! That's hilarious! Why haven't I ever thought of this!?! Brilliant!

I would also pass...hair spray is too gummy...be worried for my machine.

Leave a comment:

• Annav
    replied

Using hair spray is something that never crossed my mind. It is not made for fabric -- it is made for hair (and killing spiders -- I thought I was the only one that had to use hair spray when her husband wasn't around to save me). 505 and other spray basting is made for fabric so it won't ruin it, and it won't gum up your machine either, assuming you use it appropriately. I don't know what hair spray would do to my quilt or my machine, and I paid too much money for both my fabric and my machine to take that chance. I'll pass on this idea.

Leave a comment:

• coffeebreak
    replied

Originally posted by New York Sue View Post
    Thanks for the 'hot tip', Denise! That's a really good buy!

I wouldn't try the hairspray, because....
    Blondie, the hairdresser has spoken!

No way, no how, am I going to ruin my investment (because it IS not exactly an inexpensive hobby...) on a whim.
    Just sayin'....
    At Joann's the 505 or is it June Tailor..whichever the brand... is $13. I wait till I get 40/50% off coupons and will always use a 50% off and get a can. That is the only way I can afford it! I pick up a can every month at 50% off. I use it a bit sparingly and with pins. I tend to use it mostly in the middle and pin more on the sides. Don't think I'll bother with hair spray unless I am desperate!

Leave a comment:

• Bubby
    replied

No way would I do that!

Leave a comment:

• New York Sue
    replied

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
    No I would not attempt this! The 505 spray adhesive which will not gunk up your needle is on sale at Connectingthreads.com for $7.79 a can, 40% off, unitl May 5th

505 Spray & Fix from ConnectingThreads.com

I pin baste because of health concerns unique to me, but I would use 505 spray if I could.
    Thanks for the 'hot tip', Denise! That's a really good buy!

I wouldn't try the hairspray, because....
    Blondie, the hairdresser has spoken!

No way, no how, am I going to ruin my investment (because it IS not exactly an inexpensive hobby...) on a whim.
    Just sayin'....

Leave a comment:

• Blondie
    replied

I wouldn't use hairspray. It could stain your fabric.

Leave a comment:

• Genny
    replied

I'm just wondering what it would do to your iron! The only thing I use hairspray on is my hair...oh and one time there was a large spider between our window and our screen and my husband wasn't home to save me so I sprayed it stiff with hairspray.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X