Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment....

we shall see. I went to WalMart and looked at the mechanical sewing machines they had 1 Brother machine and 1 Singer machine. The Singer machine has an auto needle threader and an all metal frame. So I bought the Singer, it was a little less than $100. So if it breaks in the next week or so I can just take it back....after that...well I'm not out that much money.

I finally managed to get the bobbin out that they had in it and put one that I wound in. Got it threaded and took about 5 minutes figuring out the needle threader - so I didn't break it.

I sewed 3 charm squares together and I must say it has a really nice stitch (so far).

So I guess I'll see how it works when I get ready to do some real piecing on it. I am going to see if the snap on feet I have for my other machines fit.
    Last edited by buckeyequilter; April 8, 2014, 05:59 PM.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Re: Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment....

let us know! Never hurts to have a backup machine, and for less than $100....

Comment

Originally posted by songbird857 View Post
      let us know! Never hurts to have a backup machine, and for less than $100....
      I was thinking this very same thing!
      Hope you come to love it, Shirley!
      I really need to get off the exclamation point.
      It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

Well I sewed enough charms together for a tote and got a perfect 1/4" seam with the regular foot on it. The rows nested really nice...so she may be a keeper, if she don't fall apart.

Comment

Cool! Sounds like you have a new toy to have fun with and to love! My new toy comes tomorrow! Can't wait!
          LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

This is the one I bought....simple is what I wanted Looks like I could have ordered it a little cheaper...but oh well I didn't have to wait for it.

singer_machine.jpg

Singer Sewing Machine, Simple 23-Stitch 2263 - Walmart.com

Comment

I just bought a Brother CX155LA for the same reason - a good back up machine. My Singer needs to go in and it just seemed like a good time. It was VERY affordable, has some nice stitches, auto needle threader which I really love. I hear good things about Brother so..........we'll see.
              download (2).jpg
              sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

I like the Brother machines and have had some bad luck with Singers. I wanted a mechanical machine just for piecing and the mechanical Brother didn't have the auto threader. So I hope this one works out for me. I will use my other machines for some of the quilting.

Comment

I think you will find the feet interchangeable. I can use my babylock feet on my singer and vice versa.
                  pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I've got a Janome Horizon 8900 which is sewing just rubbish. My backup machine is a lovely Brother Compal Opus which my daughter has 'borrowed'. A few weeks ago I bought a Singer 99. Yeah! it doesn't spit out the needles, mess up the stitches and it works in a power cut. I love you 99 xxxxxx

Comment

Good Luck with your new machine!
                      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Good luck with your new machine Shirley.
                        Sharon

Comment

I have a $99 Singer that I have had for over 10 years. I've done a lot of sewing on it and it goes right along. I've gotten my money's worth already. I like it because it has a stretch stitch and has a serger attachment. The only thing it does not have is a nice blanket stitch for doing applique.

Comment

Singer was bought by a company in China and the quality dropped. Then a couple of years ago it was purchased by another sewing machine company and the quality has gone back up. I can't remember what company, but it was a good one like Bernina or Viking.

Comment

This is what I found on wiki: It is now part of SVP Worldwide, which also owns the Pfaff and Husqvarna Viking brands, which is in turn owned by Kohlberg & Company, which bought Singer in 2004

Comment

Working...
                              X