Into the Stratosphere!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Into the Stratosphere!

Just when you thought a high end sewing machine coudn't possibly cost any more, Bernina goes into the stratosphere with their new 880--MSRP $14,000! Yikes! Makes putting butterflies on a onesie a rather expensive operation! For thse who want throat space, it has 12" by 5", quite generous! I could have bought a Gammill longarm for less than that!

http://www.bernina.com/en-US/Product...ernina20140408

http://www.bernina.com/en-US/Product...ernina20140408
    If you get one, let us know how you like it! It had better be fabulous!

Re: Into the Stratosphere!

Wow! As consumers, we have to say enough is enough. If we pay it, they will charge it. If we refuse, they will bring prices down to something resembling reasonable. Bernina makes some nice machines, no denying it. But if we as consumers pay these absurd prices (and make no mistake, this machine and many others from this manufacturer as well as a few others are very, very over-priced) then we have no one to blame but ourselves for not only allowing these companies to gouge us financially but even sadder, it makes some of the best machines only available to the wealthy quilters among us. And what a shame!

And that's my two cents worth!
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

That's too rich for my pocketbook! I don't think any home sewing is worth that much to me.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Ummm, I think I'll take....the new car!

I know many of you love your high-end computerized machines. To me, they scream - "GIANT HEADACHE!"

And I agree, as long as consumers pay the price, they will keep charging it. Stop buying, prices will come down.
        Donna

Comment

Wow.........that is expensive! For that price it should come with an attendant that will clean up your sewing area while you work on your project! Love the "butterflies on a onesie comment"!
          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
          Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I can't imagine paying that much for a sewing machine. It should spin thread into gold for that price.
            *~* Myrna *~*
            *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Too rich for my blood... I would have to make and sell a ton of things to pay for something like that. AND I thought my Pfaff was expensive and that was under $2000. I don't believe any machine is worth that kind of money. It better press and sandwich too maybe make drinks on the side.

Ummm, I think I'll take....the new car! I have to agree here!
              sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
              Time spent with cats is never wasted.
              Sigmund Freud

Comment

I think I'll pass on that one. If I were spending that much money I would get a new long arm.

I have seen some gorgeous projects come from 'cheap' machines. After I finish a quilt that I'm working on...I'm going to a mechanical machine for piecing....they make the nicest stitches and really all I need for piecing is a straight stitch.
                Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Lol pretty pricey! I doubt any dealer will get 13999 for it. The sad thing is it probably doesn't come with the software! To rich if my blood!
                  Mary
                  SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                    Just when you thought a high end sewing machine coudn't possibly cost any more, Bernina goes into the stratosphere with their new 880--MSRP $14,000! Yikes! Makes putting butterflies on a onesie a rather expensive operation! For thse who want throat space, it has 12" by 5", quite generous! I could have bought a Gammill longarm for less than that!

B 880 ? The top model with fully automatic features from BERNINA - BERNINA

B 880 ? The top model with fully automatic features from BERNINA - BERNINA
                    If you get one, let us know how you like it! It had better be fabulous!
                    That's more than I paid for my first home.

Comment

Hmm, I'd buy a commercial 10 needle embroidery machine over that one to do my onesie. lol Yikes indeed! Or rather a cute classic 1965 Convertible Mercedes...that will at least be worth something after I bring it home. Or at least Don won't divorce me!

1965-Mercedes-Benz-230SL-EV.jpg
                      sigpic Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

Comment

I bet you still have to buy the foot you really really want. I was thinking about this last night. I bought a machine that was advertised as a quilting machine. It came with poor little horizontal thread spool that barely fits the average spool of thread, it came with a walking foot that is pure misery to use with a 1/4 inch seam....or anything under a 1/2 inch for that matter. I have to FIND a 1/4 inch foot for a 9mm machine that fits the speeecial walking foot. The more I use this machine, the more PO'd I get. (Totally my bad for purchasing it. I was operating in stupid mode right before the holidays.)

Anyways the point is, IF it's a QUILTING machine, WHY don't they at least combine the bare essentials to make it a proper QUILTING machine??? AND, why did I buy it without these two items included! #DUH

Comment

WOW It does look good but not in my price range.
                          What I make with my hands I give with my heart.

Comment

That's a mighty hefty price tag. Like Jean says, a long-arm and frame could be had for that kind money!
                            Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

There was a Bernina kiosk in one of our Hancock stores. They went out of that store in 2011. They were selling out their highest end embroidery machine at a discount, still over $10K. The saleslady was making her pitch to me ( because I was walking by and had a pulse). When I told her I was remodeling my kitchen and was spending money in that, her reply was " Well I'd rather have this machine than a kitchen!" Hey Chickie, you do need to eat, but you don't need to embroider! I guess this tells the story of why they are gone. One other big retailer gave up on Bernina that same year. I have a Bernina from long ago, it was pricey then, but I did get my money's worth of use from it. But they are nuts on their pricing of these embroidery machines. The other high end machines in the $8-10K range are ridiculously expensive, too. I'm with Ruby, I'll buy a stand alone embroidery machine for that kind of money. I spoke to my Janome dealer, he agrees with me!

Comment

Working...
                              X