rain, rain go away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rain, rain go away

A good friend of mine just had her personal quilt shop flooded with about 12" of mud and water. She does quilting for the public and has some things that will be ruined that belonged to customers.
    Don't think that quality quilt fabric will not bleed if it gets a chance. I brought home some of it to try to salvage by washing it before it gets a chance to mildew.
    There are two baby quilts that are printed panels that have something that bled on the back and two Christmas panels that are quilted but they have bled on themselves as has several other lengths of fabric.
    I know now if I didn't know before why fabric needs to be washed before putting it into a quilt.

One quilt a customer made from some really nice fabric, some of that Lovely and it bled badly, so will anything else if it is dark, purple, red, blue, green it doesn't matter it will bleed if given a chance.

Unless it is a precut it will be washed before it goes into my shop.

Re: rain, rain go away

I washed my Lovely quilt with a deep purple backing, and it turned out perfect, I did use color catchers, but they weren't that full of color. Surprising, and so sorry about your friend's shop disaster!

Comment

When I used deep purple sashing on my sisters braid quilt, I used three of the catchers and they all came out a nice pretty shade of purple! That was during the preshink stage for that fabric only. Then when I washed the quilt, I did the same and got three more of them, but it did not bleed on the rest of it.
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Unfortunately it was folded in a bag, where pieces of the purple touched the yellow and beige it left big ugly dye transfer marks. Washing it in the tub didn't do any good and since it is a top, putting it in the washer with color catchers will not work out.
        I just washed the two baby quilts, the pink and green that had bled onto the backs of them did not come out totally, it is lighter. They are all air drying right now, don't know what else to do but they will dry without mildew now and there is more in the washer now.
        I am trying to get the worst parts done first and there are lots of worst parts.

Comment

Quilt shop in town also got flooded. Shop also sold embroidery supplies. If you want to get high - smell about thirty rolls of washaway stabilizer getting wet. Petroleum based from the smell.

Comment

What a shame. I'm sure your friend is sick about her shop, but also about her customers quilts. It isn't your friends fault, but she probably feels it is. I hope it works out for her. This is a case of bad things happen to good people.

Comment

That's horrible! I hope insurance covers her losses...
              I really need to get off the exclamation point.
              It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

Working...
              X