Serger questions,,,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serger questions,,,

I was reading through HandsomRyan's post about his new serger and have been reading and researching them myself. Right now I mostly make quilts but I plan to branch out into some home decor projects like curtains, pillows etc as well as a huge dog bed for my three sweet but very large dogs. My question is what do you use your serger for and would it be a good investment to have one? I'm back and forth on this so I would love to know what you all think and use your serger for in your projects.
    sigpicCarolyn

Re: Serger questions,,,

I think sergers are excellent for curtains, draperies and othe home dec projects where you have long straight seams, where you need to sew long stretches of fabric, where you need a neat clean finish hem, and you need strong seams. Home dec is where sergers shine! They can also be useful for hemming tablecloths and napkins for special events. Sergers sew twice as fast as regular sewing machines ( most of them, at least!) the seams are strong. What they aren't good for is sewing tight, curvy seams where you have to start and stop the seam in the middle of a piece of the project.

I use my serger to finish ruffles for pillow shams. Using the differential feed option, they will gather edges for adding ruffles. I've made umpteen broomstick/ peasant skirts using this feature of my serger.

Comment

I love my serger. It doesn't get as much action as the regular sewing machine, but it does help finish many projects.

I have made all of the decor projects you have listed as well as Halloween costumes, frilly dresses, flannel PJs, tote bags (lots of these), repaired jeans and other pants, & hooded baby/child towels for a few.
      The rolled hem feature has helped me make over-sized flannel receiving blankets, napkins, & table cloths, finish the edges of the tulle on some of the aforementioned frilly dresses, and put ruffled edges on plain t-shirts I bought in the boy's dept. because they are heavier weight and longer in the torso.

I have used it to stabilize the edges of fabric (silk, sari-type fabrics, organza) before putting them into other projects, sometimes quilts. I have yet to use it to make an entire quilt, but I know it has been done.
      Mine has the ability to handle thicker threads (like pearle cotton size) through the loopers, and I have used that to finish the edges of some fleece blankets.

One of these days I'll actually go through the instruction binder and learn everything that this baby can do. I also know that you can get a variety of feet that will enable you to do even more things with it.

One of the few things I know now is that you want to be able to lock down your cutting blade, AND have some throat space to put some material through. My blades lock down, but the throat is super narrow and a few of the projects I have seen are going to require much more space than I have.

It was worth every penny I invested in it.
      Be who you are and say what you feel
      because those who mind don't matter,
      and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I used to use my serger for dance costumes, and prom dresses and clothes for me. Now I don't use it as much, but if I do make a garment, I have to use it. Once you are able to make neat tidy seams you will always want them in your garments!

I have used it to make a quilt, but it's not as fun for me as using my regular machines.

It makes the most wonderful hems, I have hemmed miles and miles and miles of chiffon with my serger!
        Cathryn

Comment

As above, but I also have a coverstitch machine which does a chain stitch. Can be used for decoration. Some sergers have both functions.
          How To Quilt With A Serger - Sewing With a Two-Thread Flatlock

Free Pattern Friday ? Serger Quilts | Katie's Quilting Corner

Plenty of videos.

Would be great for ravelly fabric and quick and dirty for a quilt that would see extremely hard use.

Comment

I got mine a couple of months ago. It does the coverstitch also. I could have lived without it but I am glad I bought it and use it more than I originally thought. Have made a couple of clothing items to say I could but it is wonderful for bags, totes, pillows, napkins, tableclothes and soon to be curtains. I looked at for 3 months before I took the plunge. When I used it at the dealer to finish the edges of duffle I was hooked. I will serge the edge ofmy quilts before i bind them and want to try a small quilt.
            Ann

Comment

As stated above, they are wonderful machines. Not so much for quilting, but in clothing construction and home Dec they are invaluable. I have 2. They don't get as much use now as they once did but I would never be without one.
              sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
              Time spent with cats is never wasted.
              Sigmund Freud

Comment

Gosh, thanks for the ideas and help! I know there are so many times where I wished I had one throughout my life in sewing but managed without it. A serger will probably be my next purchase after I figure out which one I want!
                sigpicCarolyn

Comment

I'll add that it is wonderful for knits! The thread stretches with the fabric. Knits on a regular machine will break unless you use the stretch stitch and it takes forever. For knit hemlines it can make a sweet curly hemline.

How to Create a Lettuce Edge Betz White
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

I love my serger and keep it set up all the time. Mine is the Baby Lock Evolution. I use it in clothing construction, especially for knits. It is good for dress up clothes for the DGD, as well as for gowns and PJ's. It is great for finishing before hemming, making window treatments, finishing fleece blankets, and all fleece sewing. I use it to make pillowcases. I absolutely love using the wave stitch with specialty threads to finish the edges of lap quilts. It is much easier than binding. It can also be used to add decorative beads or yarns to enhance the beauty of quilts or clothing. I don't use it for actual piecing or quilting. I tried piecing a block with it once, but it just adds too much weight with all the extra thread. The serger can be used to put in zippers and do heirloom sewing. Can you guess I love my serger?

Comment

Working...
                    X