Why do that do that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do that do that?

I am trying to decorate and coordinate my sewing room to be bright and cheery and still usable and have everything I need etc. I have been surfing the web looking at all kinds of room designs...most of course are not even an option as they have some kind of furniture that I can't afford or required more wood work than I can do.

But the one thing that seems to stay consist, at least in 90% of all the rooms I see is....the sewing machine is always on a small table of some kind, and almost always right up against the wall! Now, I don't know if these designs are created by an interior designer who is decorating the room solely for the viewing or if they are created that way by the rooms sewer owner..but my question is this...

why do they always put the sewing machine on a small table right up against a wall? and in doing that, all the work space and supplies are behind the sewer! We all know you need more room than that and only those that have limited space use the small table out of necessity, But those that have a whole room...they want to spread out and have working space and of course, more table space where the machine is for the big size of quilts. So why do they always show a supposedly well made sewing room, with the sewing machine on a small little table against the wall? If you are fortunate enough to have a whole room..why confine the work to one corner?

and also...why is the sewing table, no matter the size.. always right up against the wall? For me..first I'd go goofy always staring at that wall 20 inches away and right in my face! Secondly, how do you work on something larger than a placemat? You need space behind the machine is you are quilting or doing any larger project. That wall just confines the project...while it is confining the sewer!

So..why do they do that? Why do they design the room with such confinement?
    Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Re: Why do that do that?

Good question! Someone else noticed on a forum photo of a new sewing room that their machine faced out so the person would have their back to the wall. Makes so much more sense, doesn't it? I think I'll do it that way when DS#8 gets married this summer and I take over his room! (Love having him around, but can't wait 'til he moves out! )

My sewing table has a leaf to the left of the machine; the door of the cabinet swings out 180* and supports the leaf. My thinking is that I'll put some storage shelves behind the table so larger quilts will have space to spread out. Let us know how yours turns out, Cheri; please post some pics!

Comment

Because they are not quilters.
      My sewing table is an old, large office desk and it's smack in the middle of the room so I have plenty of room all around it if need be.
      I like looking at photos that members here post. We know what we like and how to set it all up. Plus, I like all the ideas when someone repurposes something for something else.

Hugs,
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
      http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
      http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

My table is up against the wall, but it sits under three wide windows, so I sit and sew and watch what's going on outside. It's fun because they can't see me!!
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

002 (800x600).jpg001 (800x600).jpg

This is my sewing set up. My late DH took an old wood table we bought second hand and cut a spot to put my machine down into it . The one end is next to the wall but my machine faces into the middle of the room.

Comment

My sewing machine is facing the wall but it is on a large wide desk. I have plenty of space behind my machine. One thing about having it against the wall is that my quilt can't fall off behind and pull on my stitching.

I read somewhere that the 3 stations - cutting, ironing, and sewing - should be in a triangle just as our kitchens are arranged in a triangle for efficiency. When I rearrange my room I am going to try that.

Comment

Mine is up against the wall, because I have a very small room and it was the best layout after much consideration I do have a table to my left, and I now have the sew steady quilter's wish table so my quilting space is 24 X 24. It is working well for me at the moment
              sewingroom4 (1024x768).jpgsewingroom1 (1024x768).jpgsewingroom3 (1024x768).jpgsewingroom2 (768x1024).jpg

Comment

Y'all should be me. I have a 12x12 room, prior to starting quilting just recently, I've always had a sewing machine set up and I do extensive papercrafting, try fitting that all in a 12x12 room, and oh yeah, I have a big freezer in it too.

To give you an idea of how cramped it is, I tipped over in my chair one day, couldn't get back up because the only way to do so was to stand up, couldn't stand up because there was no room and the chair was on my back. It took me 20 minutes to get myself extricated, it got to the point that I just sat (hunched over with a chair on my back) and laughed, if anyone had come upon me they would have thought I had totally lost it.

Right now it's a stand alone building but we're going to be adding a room on and connecting my craft room to the house but it'll still be the same size.
                Last edited by Leah53; April 5, 2014, 08:36 PM.
                Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

photo 3.JPG

Mine is about 3 feet from the wall facing into the room. It is a $99 harvest dining table from WalMart. I love the layout, I can watch TV, look out the window, and I can spin around to press things.
                  "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
                  :D

Comment

This is the table top my dh made for me. I have a different machine now but its still in the same place with plenty of room back of it and on the left side of the machine. Works for me.
                    Attached Files
                    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

I covet Lonna's sewing table. I showed it to Joe. Now he knows what I want. Who knows maybe I can get him to make me one when we return to the U.S. I wish I had a big enough room to have the table away from the wall but I just don't have the space. Somehow I manage to do okay. What I really need is a new chair. The one I'm using right now is terrible.
                      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Mine is against the wall so I don't have to move it to quilt. It also helps when I chain piece that nothing falls off and is pulling against me while I sew. When I sew at the dining room table it's so long I don't need it against a wall. Mine is also lined perfect so I can watch shows and DVDs on the computer screen in our adjourning office
                        Last edited by Momofmonsters5; April 6, 2014, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Mine is in a sewing table and against the wall. I have supplies to the right. Nothing ever falls off the back and gets lost. I have never had an issue with being able to sew or quilt anything. I have a serger table to the left where my serger sits under a box when not in use and my kitty lays on top to supervise. If I need more space I take the serger off and extend the leaf on that table 3 feet and have plenty of room. I have quilted a queen quilt this way as well as sewn many items with no prob. Stare at the wall? My wall is covered with things I use regularly like thread racks. A quilted holder with attached pincushion for safety pins and sewing needles, rotary cutter frixion pens marking chalk, tape measure. etc. I have sewed in this home like this for 30 years and previous to that sewn for 20 years same style.
                          I would be afraid to sew on a desk in the middle of no where, first I would trip on the electric cords, second everything would get pushed off the back and I would constantly be picking it up, third After I got done chasing the foot pedal around I would be too exhausted to sew. I sew when I can whether its 15 mins I have before work or a few hours on the weekend. I like my set up for sewing Just wish the room was bigger and I didn't share my sewing chair with hubby for his comp. they are back to back.
                          I guess its just a matter of what your used to really. To me sewing at the dining room table would be horrible all the wrong height my back would kill me in a very short time. I have a friend who sews at her island in the kitchen on a barstool. Also not very comfortable.What ever works and gets you sewing is whats good. Enjoy, have fun thats what its about, not having a showcase sewing room to look good
                          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                          Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by songbird857 View Post
                            Mine is up against the wall, because I have a very small room and it was the best layout after much consideration I do have a table to my left, and I now have the sew steady quilter's wish table so my quilting space is 24 X 24. It is working well for me at the moment
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]72798[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72799[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72800[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]72801[/ATTACH]
                            We have a 'neatnik' here, friends! Just beautiful!!
                            WOW. At any given time, my space looks like a fabric explosion occurred!
                            I really need to get off the exclamation point.
                            It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

I have had my sewing table both ways (up against the wall and out from the wall facing into the room) and frankly, I like it up against the wall better. About every second or third quilt I make is large and I do my own quilting on my home machine, so I like that these larger quilts won't fall off the back of the table (even though when open it is quite spacious) while quilting.

I don't think either way is right or wrong, just what suits the quilter and just as often, the space they have to quilt in. But for me, even though my current quilt room could accommodate the sewing table facing out into the room, I still have it up against the wall. That just works better for me.
                              Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

Working...
                              X