What do you charge??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you charge??

For those of you who make and sell quilts, how much do you charge to make a custom one?
    Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Re: What do you charge??

I'd love to know this too!!

Comment

I've never had to come up with a price. There were only two people who have asked me to make quilts, the first one offered $500, just for the piecing. I don't have a long arm. She was a quilter before before her hands kept her from doing the detailed work she likes...so she knows how much work goes into one.
      The second woman offered $300 for the whole thing. Both women purchased all the fabric and thread.

Looking online, I googled afterwards out of curiosity and found several charts people use. Some charge by the hour, others by the square foot. When I used those methods for what I had made, charging by the square foot would have been a much higher rate than by the hour. That was for a queen size though.

What I was paid seems to be higher than normal around here, but I just happened to be asked by people who know what it takes to make a quilt, and wanted to pay for it. I doubt I'd ever get the first price again for making a quilt.

I'm not sure $300 would be enough for a custom quilt, if you're doing the piecing and quilting. Just my opinion. However, I'm not sure if this person would be willing to pay what it's worth? Custom takes lots of extra time and planning.

Comment

I forgot to mention binding. That's normally twenty to twenty five cents (I can't remember which) per inch. Just like the quilting is normally charged by square inch. Those are easy to price, it's the piecing that seems to be harder to put a number to.
        Last edited by starlover; April 5, 2014, 09:39 AM.

Comment

I have sold a few quilts and have charged anywhere from .055 to .075 per square inch depending on the complexity of the quilt. I don't always make a ton of money, but for me this system has worked. It depends a lot on the size, complexity and where you live as to what people will pay. It also depends on how much you actually want to profit on each quilt.
          Cil
          A quilt is a blanket of love
          http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
          http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

I've recently found this interesting article about quilt pricing: Placing a Value on Your Quilts | Sew Mama Sew |

Comment

Even retail stores get at least a 40% markup.

I recently was commissioned, by commissioned I mean free, to make a quilt for my SIL's grandson, she bought the materials and paid for the quilting, I told her that's the last time I'll do the work for free. I even suggested a tip but that didn't materialize, imagine that! She now thinks I'm her personal seamstress no matter how many times I tell her I'm not. This is the quilt I made for her, she was supposed to pick the fabric but couldn't be bothered.

I had previously made, at her request for her sister's b'day, a 5 minute table runner and 2 placemats, my fabric and only charged her $20, she wants me to make another set but the colors she wants are something I don't have and told her to go get the fabric and I'd make it for $10, that was 2 months ago, she hasn't gotten the fabric yet and I'm not about to, it would cost me my profit in gas. She expects me to do the work with little or no pay. Maybe this should go in the rant category.

I much prefer to make stuff and if you want to buy it, fine, if you don't, that's fine too, that's what I do with my other crafts.

IMG_4109.jpg
              Last edited by Leah53; April 5, 2014, 01:14 PM.

Comment

My sister did everything except quilt. She made dresses, designed rooms, Bridal gowns, wedding coordinator, cakes, you name it, she did it. She charged 3x's the cost of the project.

I charge 20-25 per hour depending on the project. I don't care how much it costs, they pay the cost, my time is cutting, sewing, pressing, piecing, etc. and I keep a detailed chart and charge by the hour. I just do thed tops, they still take it out to be quilted.

Comment

I like that pricing method, the backs take me forever unless I use sheets, which I just sent DH to the store for. All I do are the tops, have to take out for quilting also. If I have work done outside they charge me the going rate so why shouldn't I charge someone else the going rate.

SIL was too cheap to buy precuts so I had to cut all the fabric myself, which I hate and she knows it.

The quilt I showed was a big hit with the 6 yr old boy, he doesn't believe I made it because "you can only get blankets at the store".
                  Last edited by Leah53; April 5, 2014, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kensington View Post
                    My sister did everything except quilt. She made dresses, designed rooms, Bridal gowns, wedding coordinator, cakes, you name it, she did it. She charged 3x's the cost of the project.

I charge 20-25 per hour depending on the project. I don't care how much it costs, they pay the cost, my time is cutting, sewing, pressing, piecing, etc. and I keep a detailed chart and charge by the hour. I just do thed tops, they still take it out to be quilted.
                    That's so smart! It never dawned on me to do just the top and you take over the rest. I'm trying to get some baby/toddler quilts for my Etsy shop and was thinking what if someone asks for a bigger one? Interesting idea!
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Molli Sparkles: TGIFF - No Value Does Not Equal Free

This blog came up with a cost sheet and explains why.

Comment

How much do you usually pay your quilter? I've checked the prices M* charges. Are these normal/cheap/expensive for you?

Comment

M* is about $75 more expensive for a quilt I just finished.

Comment

Working...
                          X