New Toy Ordered- Serger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Toy Ordered- Serger

I ordered a Brother 1034D serger last night. I was going to borrow an older serger from my aunt to see if I'd like having one but I started watching youtube videos about serging and decided that money spent on a tool is never money wasted. I love my Brother sewing machine and this serger had very favorable reviews on Walmart.com and Amazon.

I'm so new to this that I have much to figure out. What kind/brands of thread to use for example. I understand that wooly nylon is good for rolled hems on napkins. I know I want to serge the edges of some flannel to make simple baby blankets too. Suggestions welcome.

I think I've got Mrs HandsomeRyan talked into moving the queen sized bed out of our guest bedroom in favor of moving our quilting/sewing room upstairs. I'll still need the dark basement for sandwiching on the larger floor but it would be a lot more convenient to sew up here instead of running up and down the stairs all the time. We can still throw mattresses down on the floor when company comes but we have overnight guests less the once a month so it makes more sense to use the room for sewing a few times a week.
    Loosely based on a true story.

Re: New Toy Ordered- Serger

Just don't be afraid of it Ryan. I am sure you will have lots of fun with the new toy.

Marion

Comment

You will have fun. Congratulations. I have only had mine a month or two but love the serger.
      It seems most everyone likes Maxilock serger thread. It does not come in as many colors as you are used to for regular sewing thread but serger thrrad blends not matches. My rolled hem is a three thread operation and I used the wooly nylon in the upper looper with serger in the other. The wooly fluffs more and fills in the space. Be sure and use the recommended needles for your serger. There are lots of neat choices for other threads to use for different effects.
      Great idea to move the sewing room now that little one is here
      Have fun.
      Ann

Comment

Yey! You will have so much fun! Ahamblin is right, you only need one wooly thread for that stitch. My trick or tip is to just use regular thread along with the wooly. You get the exact color you want. I have done tons of clothing with just regular thread. If I had to buy that many cones it would be a fortune. Plus my shop doesn't carry very many colors. I just have black, white, red, pink, navy.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

I agree about moving your sewing machine closer to the heart of your home. You will do fine with your serger.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I have the same machine. Santa gave it me, no wait, Mrs. Santa gave it to me . . . ok fine, I gave it to me.

I haven't used it much but love it when I do. Hey, maybe you could do some videos on how to use it??? Ohhh, that would be a great idea!

So far I know how to thread it by tying it off (I am such a smart serger mom LOL) and that's about it. I forgot to reset the tension the first time after changing the threads (hey, it still worked, sort of) and didn't put the presser foot down once (well, that didn't work). Yep, it's user error all the way here. I have used my serger to alter some shirts and serge the edge of my quilt sandwiches before I add the binding. It was worth it just for edge part for binding.

Comment

Hey Ryan, I sew in my guest room as well (which gets used maybe 6 times a year) and I am looking at getting a Murphy bed so I can fold up the bed and voila......way more sewing space. My MIL lives downstairs so can't use any of the space there.

Have fun with your serger. It was probably one of the best tools I have ever bought for big jobs or little ones.

A hint on the rolled hem....try different types of fabrics and then when you get the tensions right and you like the look, use a permanent marker and write the info right onto the sample. I've taken to doing this with my quilting when I use different types/thicknesses of batting.
              Sometimes I wake up Grumpy!
              Other times I just let HIM sleep.

Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Racing Nana View Post

A hint on the rolled hem....try different types of fabrics and then when you get the tensions right and you like the look, use a permanent marker and write the info right onto the sample. I've taken to doing this with my quilting when I use different types/thicknesses of batting.
                I do that too but I taped the samples on the pages of my booklet. Great minds
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

That is a great machine, at least for as much serging as I do - I have the same one! I bought mine a couple of years ago. I was making robes for kids out of towels and wanted a finished seam that would not unravel on the inside and not have cover them with bias tape or something. Wow does it sew fast!

I had not thought of doing it on the edges of a quilt prior to binding - what a great idea!

You will love having your quilting/sewing up on the main floor - you will have more opportunities to just jump in and do a little something - sew one or two blocks, rearrange on the design wall, etc. I love having a dedicated space upstairs, that is no longer shared with anything.
                  Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

I have that serger, I don't use it often but it's nice to have when I do want to use it. I use it mainly for the pillowcases I make.
                    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Craftsy has a great class on sergers. Look under the sewing section.

A hint when I took my owners classes. Have each spool of thread a different color. If your machine is color coded for the different thread slots, then use that color thread for that slot. That way, when there is a problem, and you have to rethread, you will know which thread needs to be rethreaded.

You will love serging the edge of fabrics before washing. Really good idea on flannel fabrics. And I have also used the serger for trimming the edge of the quilt before binding.
                      Vonnie

Comment

Here's a good website: All About Sergers | Sew Mama Sew |

and a good place to buy serger thread: Long Creek Mills - your home for wholesale prices on embroidery, quilting and sewing needs.
                        Last edited by Vonnie; April 5, 2014, 08:01 AM.
                        Vonnie

Comment

I was in a sewing group and they did the serging before washing.I tried and found it a waste of time and thread. Flannel I think it's a great idea though. I'll have to remember that!
                          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                            I was in a sewing group and they did the serging before washing.I tried and found it a waste of time and thread. Flannel I think it's a great idea though. I'll have to remember that!
                            Flannel and Homespun. If you just pink the edges of good quality cotton, that should be good enough.
                            Vonnie

Comment

Congrats on your new machine. It has many uses and you'll have fun experimenting. You don't need a ton of spool colors. Think neutral. The serger does such a great job of finishing seams. I use mine often for hemming, home dec projects, curtains, and I've made many many sets of flannel receiving blankets, wipes, burp cloths etc.

I would suggest you read a copy of Chris James' serger handbook. It's like the bible of serging. You may even find a copy in your library. Everything you ever wanted to know about serging and the photos in the book are large and very clear. I've had this book for many years and still reference it all the time.

The Complete Serger Handbook: Chris James: 0999993236421: Amazon.com: Books

Once you learn to thread your machine comfortably, make samples of all the various stitches and techniques. I make a sample and staple it to an index card and write down my settings. Then, six months from now, if I decide to use the same stitch, I've already got my sample and notes jotted down on my card and don't need to play with any settings.

Good luck and have fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X