Garment construction question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garment construction question

Now that winter is almost over, I'm on the last leg of my quilted comfort shawl. This pattern was not without a number of typographical errors, which I'm surprised have not been corrected yet. Therefore, it's hard to trust the written instructions.

I'm at the point of slashing the front to make the triangle cut out. This will open the front and make the neckline. To me, the diagram looks like a gusset which should have a seam allowance at the top point. Directions say to make a mark at the 16th strip from the bottom. Two lines later, it says to mark the 15th strip from the bottom. The diagram shows that there is an extension of this mark on each side and yet I don't know how much to extend it. It looks like maybe an inch or less? I'm talking about at the top, not the bottom marks which are 2" on each side of center.

How much on each side of the top marking dot do I extend the line to each side? This is for the neckline so I don't want to cut anything until I've got this straight. I wish I was better at explaining, but maybe a pic will help. Scroll down to the section with triangle diagram. The diagram looks right to me, but the instructions seem off.

Jean, Cathryn, someone who constructs garments........can you help?

Moda Bake Shop: Pure Comfort

Re: Garment construction question

I'm not sure what you are asking. The way I read it is: You mark the triangle. Sew on the line and then cut 1/4 inch from the line on the inside....basically the part you are cutting out, which would leave you the 1/4 inch you need for binding. Which that seems kind of goofy, but maybe I'm not reading it right. I'm going to read it again.

Personally, this triangle doesn't really need to fit anybody but you. I don't think it makes or breaks the shawl if you add of subtract an inch.

Comment

I don't think it really matters Sharyn! If I were making it, I'd make it curve and use bias binding :-)

This is one of those things where there is no one absolute right way, and an alternate will work equally well.
      Cathryn

Comment

wow, she could have layed it out when it was finished so you can see the effect she was after. This is so poorly written it is absolutely a confusing pattern. If you read down in the comments, you are not the only one having troubles.

By looking at it, I thought it was a pull over your head poncho, but when she is wearing it, it looks like shawl. Have you tried her website?

Comment

Thank you. I think I will round it out a bit and do my own thing and I will use the bias binding. Thanks for that reminder!

Comment

Wow, I went to her website and the pattern is the same, but her latest post was so personal and deep...wow, I wasn't prepared for that.

Comment

The instructions do not make sense and do not match the diagram. I would follow the diagram. The neckline is halfway up the shawl. I also would round the neckline and use bias binding. I would probably also round all the corners. I usually change patterns to suit me.

Comment

Originally posted by Slokarma View Post
                wow, she could have layed it out when it was finished so you can see the effect she was after. This is so poorly written it is absolutely a confusing pattern. If you read down in the comments, you are not the only one having troubles.

By looking at it, I thought it was a pull over your head poncho, but when she is wearing it, it looks like shawl. Have you tried her website?
                Yes, I tried her website and it's no better than the Moda site. This pattern is not that great. You could do your own thing without her instructions. #1, she calls for using a jellyroll (which is usually 40 strips). Use 29 for the body. So 40 -29 = 11, however, you need 12 strips later for the sides and you'll be one short. The remedy would be to use 28 strips! The measurements for the middle section do not equal the side panels, IF you follow her instructions and cut exactly as she states. It's a cute pattern, but I'd advise anyone to do the math and figure it out before you make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slokarma View Post
                  Wow, I went to her website and the pattern is the same, but her latest post was so personal and deep...wow, I wasn't prepared for that.
                  Wow, I just saw what you saw on her website. It's very disturbing. I hope she's ok. It sounds like a loud cry for help.

Comment

I was totally confused by the directions. I'm sure your " improvisation" will be fine. You have the basic idea. I like the idea of a curved neckline. Cathryn, would she need bias binding to finish that curved inside edge? That would be the only place where it touches the body, and I would want that to be smooth. I see Barb 44 advises this also.

Can't add any more thoughts to the excellent advice given by others.

Comment

Jean I think it all depends on how deep the curve is! I would want mine to fit pretty flat, so I'd make the curve like a garment neckline. Plus I like round edges, so bias binding would be the most versatile for me.
                      Cathryn

Comment

I have a scrap piece of muslin here. I may try a practice run on it in rounding the neckline and bias binding. I'd rather spend a little more time than cut my quilt top and discover later that I should have done it some other way. I also like the suggestions of rounding the corners of the top. That's a nice idea.

Excellent advice ladies! I knew I could count on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat n bull View Post
                          Jean I think it all depends on how deep the curve is! I would want mine to fit pretty flat, so I'd make the curve like a garment neckline. Plus I like round edges, so bias binding would be the most versatile for me.
                          Sometimes, when I am binding a rounded edge at a neckline, I run a gathering stitch dowm the center of the fold in the binding to shrink out the fullness on the inner edge evenly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                            Sometimes, when I am binding a rounded edge at a neckline, I run a gathering stitch dowm the center of the fold in the binding to shrink out the fullness on the inner edge evenly.
                            THAT is a good idea! As always, Awesome Miss Jean!

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                              What an AWESOME idea!
                              Cathryn

Comment

Working...
                              X