Spray starch ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spray starch ?

I'm starting some blocks that calls for spray starch. Do you spray right on your ironing board or on a different surface?
    🌺 Lorie

Re: Spray starch ?

I spray right on the ironing board. I do try to wash my cover frequently.
    sigpic

Comment

Well mine needs washing and actually I need to make a new one. Thanks!
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I spray while the fabric is on my ironing board. Let it soak in a little and then press. You don't want to press while there are bubbles standing up on the fabric. I use Best Press, Faultless Heavy Duty Spray Starch and Bounce Ironing Spray. The Bounce spray has a little too much fragrance in my opinion.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thanks Barb. I think I have the faultless. Gosh I wonder if it's to old? I'll test it out first.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I was just at a quilt meeting and someone commented that starch attracts bugs (silverfish) and recommended using Sizing or Best press instead unless you plan to wash it. Craftsy agrees-read down a bit.
            Starching Fabric for Quilting & Sewing: Good or Bad?

Comment

I wondered if I'm weird...I LOVE the smell of my starch! I spray fabric right on my pressing board (a homemade job with canvas on wood with batting in the middle) and when I press anything afterwards I can get the scent of the Faultless...I LOVE it! Faultless Supreme is even better than the 'regular'! lol! I think it reminds me of my first project with it (happens to be the 2012 Craftsy BOM). I love the different scents of Best Press too - I have: peach, linen, cherry, & lavender and they all remind me of a certain quilt. Yep, I'm weird!

Comment

I use Best Press or Niagra (non-aerosol) while fabric is on ironing board. I starch like crazy to make certain everything is squared and fits perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by a1angiem View Post
                  I wondered if I'm weird...I LOVE the smell of my starch! I spray fabric right on my pressing board (a homemade job with canvas on wood with batting in the middle) and when I press anything afterwards I can get the scent of the Faultless...I LOVE it! Faultless Supreme is even better than the 'regular'! lol! I think it reminds me of my first project with it (happens to be the 2012 Craftsy BOM). I love the different scents of Best Press too - I have: peach, linen, cherry, & lavender and they all remind me of a certain quilt. Yep, I'm weird!
                  You're not weird!!! LOL! I'm all about smells and I love the smell of my Best Press too! I lightly spray my fabric and let it soak in then iron and it works really great!
                  sigpicCarolyn

Comment

I like the smell too. Reminds me of the summers I spent in the basement, ironing Dad's cotton work shirts, watching the morning movie on TV. As much as I grumbled about doing this, I think I liked being down in the cool basement by myself, watching those old movies! #Goodtimes

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                      I'm starting some blocks that calls for spray starch. Do you spray right on your ironing board or on a different surface?
                      Put some muslin or other fabric underneath if you don't want it on your ironing board. If it's a larger piece of fabric, I'll take it and lay it in the shower stall.....for me it's convenient, it contains overspray and I know it's a surface that's going to get cleaned any ways. Wonder if my husband ever noticed his feet sticking to the floor?? after I sprayed basted in there.....LOL Thank goodness for warmer weather!

Comment

I have learned from a Craftsy instructor that if you press the fabric first and get it warm that it absorbs the starch better and much quicker. I can usually spray warm fabric and press it right away. It has worked very well for me. I mix my own starch using StaFlo - half starch and half water - and use a dollar store spray bottle. I seem to go through a lot of it. I only starch fabric when I am ready to use it.

Comment

I am right there with you slokarma! Ironing my dads shirts was the way I earned extra spending money as a kid. I got twenty-five cents for a short sleave shirt and thirty-five for a long sleeve shirt. Faultless spray starch takes me back. What I wouldn't give to be able to iron shirts for my daddy today.
                          Dayna

Comment

No fragrances for me. I buy the unscented Best Press. JCY

Comment

I made my own ironing table, so my cover is stapled onto the back. Because of that, I lay down a sheet of muslin before I starch. That way I can lift and wash that piece frequently.

I make my own starch with simple water and cornstarch, works beautifully and it's all fresh and natural with nothing in it to harm me, my pets, my family or the environment.
                              Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

Working...
                              X