• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KerryA
    replied
    Re: Explain the Appeal of Embroidery

Originally posted by Littlelisa View Post
    Oh man. I didn't have any interest in an embroidery machine but after reading this thread and seeing all the beautiful photos I'm starting to plant the seed in my husband's head.. I bet I can talk him into the purchase by christmas! He usually caves into my crazy requests when he can't think of anything else to buy me. It's a win-win, I get what I want and he didn't have to think of a gift and risk it being something I didn't like.
    Ok - this is exactly how I am feeling. I had no interest until reading this thread and seeing pics of what you can do. Here is my question: Is using an embroidery machine something one can learn to do on their own if you have never seen how one works or would it require classes to figure it out? What is a good basic beginner machine. I think I can see that everyone agrees you need to have a 5x7 hoop, but other than that ????? (asking since I know NOTHING about embroidery machines.)

Leave a comment:

• ozziepuppy
    replied

I have a feeling I should not have asked this question. The photos are beautiful!

Leave a comment:

• rebeccas-sewing
    replied

I love Leah53's answer! ahahahahaha As for me, I get a lot of use out of mine since I machine quilt using the embroidery function on my machine. It gets a real workout. I love being able to embroider labels. For wedding quilts I can do beautiful labels on the back that include the entire wedding invitation. I can add all the birth info. on a quilt made for a newborn. There are lots of things one can do that are very creative with an embroidery machine. The beauty of it is less labor and a fast way to add something lovely to one's project.

Leave a comment:

• Littlelisa
    replied

Oh man. I didn't have any interest in an embroidery machine but after reading this thread and seeing all the beautiful photos I'm starting to plant the seed in my husband's head.. I bet I can talk him into the purchase by christmas! He usually caves into my crazy requests when he can't think of anything else to buy me. It's a win-win, I get what I want and he didn't have to think of a gift and risk it being something I didn't like.

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

Cathryn I love your quilt blocks. I can't wait to see it finished!

Leave a comment:

• Cat n bull
    replied

Originally posted by jaebi View Post
    Oh wow. Cat n Bull, I love what you have done with your embroidery machine! Now I really want one! Do you have a stand alone or a combination machine and what kind! Thx
    Thank you! I have two combination machines, both Pfaffs. I have a Creative 4 and a Creative Performance. I LOVE my machines!!!

here is some more of what you can do with embroidery:

one more block for Jacobean Journey

Leave a comment:

• jaebi
    replied

Oh wow. Cat n Bull, I love what you have done with your embroidery machine! Now I really want one! Do you have a stand alone or a combination machine and what kind! Thx

Leave a comment:

• Claire Hallman
    replied

Originally posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
    I do not have a big urge to get one but I would not mind having a machine that could make labels and maybe to add a name. But thats about it, no other appeal.
    Yeah, that is what I thought, too. Hahahaha! that is not what happened. I got a combo machine with a 4x4 hoop from Craigslist and within 4 months I had bought one with a 5x7 stand alone machine, also from Craigslist. I then sold the first one to a friend. I would love to have one that had a bigger design area and USB capability but can't justify the expense.
    I went to embroidery bee today and came home and used my machine to do some quilting on a partially finished quilt. I have done SITD then embroidery on half the blocks and going back to do a different embroidery on the other half. When I say embroidery, what I mean is a quilt design, feather corners first then a feather circle on the other half.

Leave a comment:

• Kgrammiecaz
    replied

I do not have a big urge to get one but I would not mind having a machine that could make labels and maybe to add a name. But thats about it, no other appeal.

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

Originally posted by ozziepuppy View Post
    I did not realize they could appliqué around fabric. Now I would like that.
    So fun! I did some simple ones for backpack tags which would be in the hoop designs. But there are way more complicated designs.

In the hoop backpack tags.jpg

Leave a comment:

• ozziepuppy
    replied

I did not realize they could appliqué around fabric. Now I would like that.

Leave a comment:

• quiltingtrish
    replied

I bought a used Brother sewing/embroidery machine off of Craigs List about 2 1/2 years ago. Last summer I finally had the time to sit down and read the directions and try the embroidery. I used a variegated thread and did a letter T (for Trish). Didn't do it on anything special, just a piece of material. It sits there for encouragement to try some more. Change threads? Didn't try that yet. Download designs off the computer - nope, not yet. But I know it's coming. Just need to find the time.
    Hugs,

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

Pretty Genny! I have my machine going right now too. A little surprise for some one

Leave a comment:

• Genny
    replied

Below is only one of the reasons I love my sewing/embroidery machine. This design is machine embroidery and applique in the hoop. It can be used many ways...a few being sewed on the front of a greeting card, made into a pillow or even framed. This design took 20 minutes and that included cutting around the fabric in the appliqued petals. Fast easy way to liven up a gift.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• icul8rg8r
    replied

I love to make baby quilts with the baby's name and date of birth embroidered .... tried to do it by hand but my eyes, and hand cramps, just didn't work right. I bought a stand alone Embroidery machine (Brother PE-770) so it wouldn't tie up my sewing machine and am actually quite pleased. Am now also embroidering towels, bags, kids bags/uniforms, and Christmas decorations. It grows on you! Would never buy a combo machine but I'm really glad to have the stand alone Embroidery machine!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X