Explain the Appeal of Embroidery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Explain the Appeal of Embroidery

I think this is one of those personal preference type of answers. I thought about getting one a while back because I thought the machines were "cool" but then I realized quickly that 1.) I don't wear embroidered things nor do I have embroidered decor, and 2. what would I do while it did the embroidery. So for me it was a no-go. Other people love the process, the design, the thread play and produce wonderful items.
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
    Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

Comment

I have a sewing machine and an embroidery machine. While my embroidery machine is stitching out cute designs to add to my quilt blocks, I can be sewing my blocks together on the other machine..
      "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Comment

I just got a refurbished embroidery machine and a refurbished serger from a friend who upgraded her models. We have both had terrible schedules of late so we wont be able to get together for teaching until mid April. But I have a few questions as she is not a quilter.
        Can you embroider the white space on a quilt sandwich?
        What stablizer do you use?
        Do you put it in the hoop to quilt it or do you just Use the hoop and stablizer and put the quilt sandwich around it??
        Do you use only single stitch embroidery or do you use more elaborate designs on the sandwich or just on a single layer of fabric?
        I'd love any suggestions!!
        And thank you all in advance!!!
        sigpicMy friends hear the song in my heart, and sing it to me when my memory fails. 

Eileen

Comment

Well, these are all great answers. I especially enjoyed the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to post these!

sigpic
          Marci

Comment

Originally posted by irishrn View Post
            I just got a refurbished embroidery machine and a refurbished serger from a friend who upgraded her models. We have both had terrible schedules of late so we wont be able to get together for teaching until mid April. But I have a few questions as she is not a quilter.
            Can you embroider the white space on a quilt sandwich?
            What stablizer do you use?
            Do you put it in the hoop to quilt it or do you just Use the hoop and stablizer and put the quilt sandwich around it??
            Do you use only single stitch embroidery or do you use more elaborate designs on the sandwich or just on a single layer of fabric?
            I'd love any suggestions!!
            And thank you all in advance!!!
            I have an older Janome 10000 embroidery machine. I just finished embroidering in the blank spaces on an Irish Chain. I used a wash away stabilizer. I was too chicken to do the embroidery on the sandwich, but these designs were made with machine quilting as their purpose. I have a long arm so I am not worried about quilting my quilts with embroidery.

image.jpg

I will try this again on other quilts.

Comment

I have two combo machines and one for quilting/sewing. I love my embroidery machines. I SID and then embroider a design in my blocks, a quilted design like a long arm pattern. Love it! I can do things on towels, sweatshirts, shirts, bibs, labels, etc., you name it! Tote bags, mousepads, anything you want a little name, initial, decoration on, you can embroider entire quilts all done in the hoop. Oh, and in the hoop stuff is a whole other deal, and it all makes great gifts!
              I gave a bride to be seasonal towels embroidered for each holiday at her shower, she cried to think I did all that for her!
              Yes, you sit and watch it....after six years I still am impressed how smart it is!! But, you have to place it and pick colors and change threads....and know the best stabilizer etc. it's not hard, but there is a learning curve!
              I have my machines on a L shape set up, I quilt while my other embroiders, swivel on chair to change thread, etc. multi tasking!
              It really is fun and I love it, but not everyone would.
              Quilting is a gift I give myself.
              Bev

Comment

I love to make baby quilts with the baby's name and date of birth embroidered .... tried to do it by hand but my eyes, and hand cramps, just didn't work right. I bought a stand alone Embroidery machine (Brother PE-770) so it wouldn't tie up my sewing machine and am actually quite pleased. Am now also embroidering towels, bags, kids bags/uniforms, and Christmas decorations. It grows on you! Would never buy a combo machine but I'm really glad to have the stand alone Embroidery machine!

Comment

Below is only one of the reasons I love my sewing/embroidery machine. This design is machine embroidery and applique in the hoop. It can be used many ways...a few being sewed on the front of a greeting card, made into a pillow or even framed. This design took 20 minutes and that included cutting around the fabric in the appliqued petals. Fast easy way to liven up a gift.
                  Attached Files
                  TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

Pretty Genny! I have my machine going right now too. A little surprise for some one
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I bought a used Brother sewing/embroidery machine off of Craigs List about 2 1/2 years ago. Last summer I finally had the time to sit down and read the directions and try the embroidery. I used a variegated thread and did a letter T (for Trish). Didn't do it on anything special, just a piece of material. It sits there for encouragement to try some more. Change threads? Didn't try that yet. Download designs off the computer - nope, not yet. But I know it's coming. Just need to find the time.
                      Hugs,
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                      http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                      http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I did not realize they could appliqué around fabric. Now I would like that.

sigpic
                        Marci

Comment

Originally posted by ozziepuppy View Post
                          I did not realize they could appliqué around fabric. Now I would like that.
                          So fun! I did some simple ones for backpack tags which would be in the hoop designs. But there are way more complicated designs.

In the hoop backpack tags.jpg
                          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I do not have a big urge to get one but I would not mind having a machine that could make labels and maybe to add a name. But thats about it, no other appeal.
                            Karen
                            Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Originally posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
                              I do not have a big urge to get one but I would not mind having a machine that could make labels and maybe to add a name. But thats about it, no other appeal.
                              Yeah, that is what I thought, too. Hahahaha! that is not what happened. I got a combo machine with a 4x4 hoop from Craigslist and within 4 months I had bought one with a 5x7 stand alone machine, also from Craigslist. I then sold the first one to a friend. I would love to have one that had a bigger design area and USB capability but can't justify the expense.
                              I went to embroidery bee today and came home and used my machine to do some quilting on a partially finished quilt. I have done SITD then embroidery on half the blocks and going back to do a different embroidery on the other half. When I say embroidery, what I mean is a quilt design, feather corners first then a feather circle on the other half.

Comment

Oh wow. Cat n Bull, I love what you have done with your embroidery machine! Now I really want one! Do you have a stand alone or a combination machine and what kind! Thx

Comment

Working...
                                X