Explain the Appeal of Embroidery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Explain the Appeal of Embroidery

Here's even more! I did not even realize how much I use my embroidery, and the thought that it's just like "slapping someone else's picture on a piece of fabric" is soooo far from the reality of what machine embroidery actually IS.

Taking an applique pattern and making it MINE

This takes a LOT of WORK to make this happen. To make it FIT. To make it look like it's all one big design. It is soooo NOT setting your machine to stitch then walking away.

Cathryn

Comment

When I looking to upgrade my 15 year old sewing machine, I wasn't even considering embroidery... until I saw the husqvarnas and thought - ok, maybe someday. I ended up getting a really great deal on a combo machine and decided to try it. I love it! I've made gifts, and ornaments, and I'm only just beginning to scratch the surface of what my machine is capable of. The beauty is that I don't just 'have to sit there and watch it' - I can cut other fabric while it embroiders - I even made dinner the other day when it was stitching out a larger pattern. There are sooo many patterns available, many free and low cost, and great thread can be found for a bargain in many places. There is a machine embroidery group on this forum, if you'd like to see a small sampling of what can be done.
      At the moment I'm creating a custom monogram for a dear friend who I have known since birth - she is about to give birth to her first child - what an awesome thing!!

Comment

I do not have an embroidery machine. I have a Babylock picked out one day that I would like to get (think years down the road). But I know that I would not want it to be my only machine as I would like to be sewing on another machine as it is doing embroidery. The thing that I find so neat is to be able to create and personalize so many thing like Cathryn's examples above. To me, it is taking creating and quilting to another level.

I have hand embroidered for years. The problem that I have is because is it by hand, it takes a long time and sometimes projects sadly don't get finished. Some of that is I am such a perfectionist in some areas, I don't want to do it unless it is perfect. I think that I would use an embroidery machine a lot to add to my quilts. I have several plain colored block quilts that would have some extra umph to them if they did have embroidery added to them.

Comment

And besides all that, you can quilt your quilt sandwiches on your embroidery machine.

Comment

Oh my gosh Cathryn! What great projects! I just bought a little tree frog

I had to bring my machine downstairs. I would be watching a show or doing the dishes and had to walk a flight of stairs for thread changes. One of those light bulb moments. lol
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

The main appeal to me is quilt labels. The quilt I was given by my great aunt 20 years ago has lost most of the ink she used to write the label. And it's only been washed twice. I figure thread will last much longer on those important labels.

Comment

I have a Janome combo machine and I LOVE it! When I bought it I thought the only thing I might embroider would be quilt labels and dates, etc. I was shocked to find out how much I absolutely love doing machine embroidery. I agree wholeheartedly with Sandy about doing ITH designs and editing and creating my own designs. Last winter I made a truckload of embroidered lace snowflake ornaments and embellished them with Swarovski crystals for little Christmas gifts. There are incredible designs on the internet that can turn a quilt from something ordinary to something spectacular.
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I love mine and use it all the time in quilting. Can't just sit there and watch so I bought another machine a Pfaff for piecing while the other is embroidering. I love to make lace and custom gifts for family.I embroider on quilts before I sandwich to the back.
                  2012-11-13_17-30-29_292.jpg
                  2012-12-23_22-17-24_318.jpg Quilt patch just needed something...20140124_094842.jpg
                  20140124_094821.jpg Quilt labels of the back fabric never come off!
                  P3110013.jpg
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by mary3100; April 3, 2014, 05:33 AM.
                  Have a Sewonderful Day,
                  Mary T.

Comment

I love mine. I was making snowflakes and was able to go do something else while the machine stitched out the snowflakes. I have a quilt that has some large unquilted areas....I'm going to put it on the embroidery machine and do some 'quilting' in those areas.
                    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

I would have to think long and hard about getting a combo machine. I guess I'm an old fogey, but I have always believed that when something is trying to be all things to all people...it does none of it well. I have a dedicated embroidery machine, a nice zig-zag, and a straight stitch machine devoted to quilting. But, back to your question....

For me, the fun of embroidery is doing my own designs. Of course, that comes with time. Right out of the box, you're going to embroider pre-digitized designs. After a little while I found that boring. So, I learned how to do my own digitizing. Last winter I digitized the 12 days of Christmas and made quilts for my daughters-in-law. That took months, but it was challenging and rewarding. So lovely! And similar designs simply aren't available commercially. This was a very creative, very satisfying process. It's very addicting when you really get into it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I have only done hand embroidery, don't have anything but the simplest computerized Brother sewing machine, so I can't add to the conversation. BUT, Oh MY, your work shown here ladies is FANTASTIC! Loving it, every single picture! Wowwie Pee-wee!
                        sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

I have digitizing software. I don't have to hunt for a design, just draw it as a vector image and digitize it. I can make yards of entredeux for heirloom. Pfaff has had the ability to create your own stitches for years, so you can adjust or make up a fancy stitch for sewing binding or sashing down either on the machine or using a continuous hoop. The hoop I use is 5x5, the largest for the machine unless I want to split the design and use the 12x12.

I've taken the quilting designs I do have on the computer, enlarged them, and instead of using the embroidery unit, FMQ them with the Brother. If I ever got down to it, a whitework quilt would be fun.

Comment

Since i am a tech junkie I would LOVE an embroidery machine and think it would be a lot of fun to learn eventually how to do my own. Alas it's not in the budget! Lots of amazing work in this thread.

Comment

I want one for the ability to make quilt labels, monograms on things, and of course applique. I can't machine applique very well on my own, but those machines can do a great job of it.

I do have a friend that just got a nice one though, and she said when she gets the hang of it she'd be happy to lend me some time on it to do a label or two of my own. YAY! Use of it without buying it!

Comment

I wanted embroidery capabilities years ago to be able to monogram things, for myself and to sell. But I chose a separate machine to do the embroidery because I am not a fan of having to break down the machine to sew and add all kinds of attachments when I wanted to embroidery. I have a Janome 300E, just right for everything I have wanted to do. The cost then was about $1,000 well worth it, it has been a little work horse. It is about 8 years old and still works good. Thinking about upgrading it but IDK right now I need a new sewing machine and that will be a major investment.
                                "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
                                :D

Comment

Working...
                                X