It is silly to ask...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is silly to ask...

If you figured out a better (easier/quicker) way of doing something and chose not to share it with the forum. What would be the reason?
    1. You are too busy or bashful...
    2. You think that folks already know about it...
    3. You think that you may be considered a show-off...
    Preeti
    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Re: It is silly to ask...

For me it would probably be #2, but I've been known to share if I found an easier way. For example in the "hunters star block" group, I found an easier way "for me" so I did share. I figure if it works for me it might work and be helpful to someone else. No one has to use it if they don't want to, right? So now I want to know what you're not sharing. Lol
    Cil
    A quilt is a blanket of love
    http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
    http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

Ok, my dear...what do you know!!!????!!!!

Comment

I'm going with 1, but 2 would be in the back of my mind. Since I've only been quilting for about two years, I'd be thinking that the long time quilters would basically go "Duh. We know that." or worse, "Yeah.. not a good idea."

But that's my own insecurities.

Comment

None of the above.. I'll share.. I'll glean.. whatever gets the job done.

Comment

If it is a truly new idea or helpful hint, I'll share, but it does seem that a lot of the time things that people post as their "own" ideas are simply a reinvention of the same old wheel with a different name. It is getting pretty tough to come up with something new since quilting has been around for so long.

I think that is why a lot of the time I am caught shaking my head at designers that are screaming that someone stole their idea when you can find the same pattern done 50 to 100 years ago.
            K is for Karen 😊​..................
            Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
            T - is it TRUE?
            H - is it HELPFUL?
            I - is it INSPIRING?
            N - is it NECESSARY?
            K - is it KIND?

Comment

I am amused, my dear friend!!!
              I am smiling as I read this.
              Originally posted by a1angiem View Post
              Ok, my dear...what do you know!!!????!!!!
              Preeti
              http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

I would definitely share, knowing that the possibilities are high that someone already knows/has posted it and I just haven't seen it!!
                Right now, I'm working on making mini periwinkle blocks - I'm trying to see if there is a way to do them (kind of like with the hunter star template), where you sew them to strips, then cut - I'll let you know if it works. If anyone already has a way I'd love to hear it!!

Comment

I agree with Cil, if you found a simpler way, because we are all doing the same block, many for the first time, I love the advice . I agree with Karen too. It has to be originally different from an old style for me to love it.

I have posed a string quilt tute many times because people ask about them. But my favorite shows a two color way that is really cool. Makes me want to do that one. I might have to cut up my yardage for that one though. lol
                  Last edited by Hulamoon; April 2, 2014, 04:49 PM.
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

For me it's #4.

My ideas being shot down. It happens.
                    Hugs,
                    Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                    Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

Originally posted by Pandabear View Post
                      I'm going with 1, but 2 would be in the back of my mind. Since I've only been quilting for about two years, I'd be thinking that the long time quilters would basically go "Duh. We know that." or worse, "Yeah.. not a good idea."

Ditto, me too exactly.
                      Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Funny you should ask this. This afternoon I was looking at a project, not quilted but fabric related, that I did a few years ago, thought about showing it but I don't want to share how it's done. So what would be the reason?

1. I don't want to
                        2. I'm selfish and self centered
                        3. I don't want others making it and selling it
                        4. All of the above
                        Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

Well, I will share one.
                          I hardly even look twice at a quilt pattern with lots of triangles. Simply don't like making them. I was always, always getting their little points stuck in my machine - yes, even when I had a starter piece of fabric in there. So, now when I do make any kind of triangles, I just start sewing in the middle and sew out to the end. I take it off the machine, flip it over and start sewing again in the middle (but overlapping some of the stitching from the first sewing) and sew that to the end. I know there are those of you that would say it would take longer to do it this way, but I figure it takes a lot longer to keep ripping out the stitches that got all mangled up in the machine and also having to cut more triangles. That's how I do them and it works for me.
                          So, yes, I share. I love it when people post tips or tricks even when I've read them or used them before. It's a good reminder for me.
                          Hugs,
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                          http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                          http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Originally posted by quiltingtrish View Post
                            Well, I will share one.
                            I hardly even look twice at a quilt pattern with lots of triangles. Simply don't like making them. I was always, always getting their little points stuck in my machine - yes, even when I had a starter piece of fabric in there. So, now when I do make any kind of triangles, I just start sewing in the middle and sew out to the end. I take it off the machine, flip it over and start sewing again in the middle (but overlapping some of the stitching from the first sewing) and sew that to the end. I know there are those of you that would say it would take longer to do it this way, but I figure it takes a lot longer to keep ripping out the stitches that got all mangled up in the machine and also having to cut more triangles. That's how I do them and it works for me.
                            So, yes, I share. I love it when people post tips or tricks even when I've read them or used them before. It's a good reminder for me.
                            Hugs,
                            I hated triangles too and avoided them like the plague until I started doing the "Jenny way" half square triangles, now I love them.
                            Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

Originally posted by Pandabear View Post

I agree with what you said.

Comment

Working...
                              X