Batting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batting

I am looking for the best batting for charity quilts. We had previously been able to buy batting in very large rolls at a reasonable price - but this was discontinued by JoAnn's. Where do you all get your batting for charity quilts? Thanks

Re: Batting

I still get it at Joann's I just wait for a 50% off coupon or a half off sale and then stock up. They still carry warm and natural. Also the bamboo batting. That's nice too. Hope that helps, Hugs, Jan L
    Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

I do the same thing. I wait for my coupon and buy a bunch.
      Come by and see what I'm up to on my blog...
      Summer Lee Quilts

Comment

Last time I bought batting was at Joann's, got the warm and white, an entire 40 yard roll, still in the box. Day after Thanksgiving 2 years ago, 50% off coupon and then an additional 20% off because I went early. The ONLY shopping I ever do on Black Friday.
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

Guess I have to say I also buy at JoAnn's with my 50% off coupon. I've also ordered from them on-line.
          Susan

Comment

Thank you all - I'll look at a different JoAnn's and hope that they carry those super large rolls. You all are the best!!

Comment

I guess it depends on what the purpose is. I have used old thermal and wool blankets (washed first of course!) when I was making them for a street mission. Some folks even added a layer of plastic or nylon to help keep the wind off.
              I also by my new batting using coupons and bonus % off sales. Can't say that I have stocked up quite like K though! I have even found some on clearance sales. I will use plain flannel between the layers for baby/toddler quilts, especially if I can get it for super cheap on the Black Friday sales. I do pre-wash & dry the flannel before using it though.
              Good luck on your quest for batting!
              Be who you are and say what you feel
              because those who mind don't matter,
              and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Oh, I forgot to tell you to ask at the local quilt guilds/groups for their left over pieces of cotton batting. I use a bit of fusible interfacing and patch pieces together that way too. Those quilts have to be quilted a little tighter together make sure you don't have a strange seam pop up.
                Be who you are and say what you feel
                because those who mind don't matter,
                and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Haha, I was only going to buy 20 yards of the batting, but those women working at Joann's that day were swamped with people taking bolts and bolts of fabric to be cut. As the one helping me got to the box and was going to open it I just told her to give me the whole thing so she didn't have to roll it out and roll what I got back up. I thought she was going to cry when she started thanking me over and over.
                  K is for Karen 😊​..................
                  Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                  T - is it TRUE?
                  H - is it HELPFUL?
                  I - is it INSPIRING?
                  N - is it NECESSARY?
                  K - is it KIND?

Comment

Thanks again for all of your assistance - just wanted to let you know that I went to our thrift store (after reading toggpine's comments) and found two blankets that will work. And then, I asked at the cashier's and she had two big rolls in the back. Thanks everyone!!
                    PS K, that was funny - we've all been swamped at times!

Comment

Working...
                    X