Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your opinion: Posting photos of quilt shows online ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your opinion: Posting photos of quilt shows online ok?

Of the few quilt shows that I've been to it seems you either see a sign asking that NO photography be taken due to the original designs being displayed and copyrighted by the quilters or no sign is up and everyone is taking photos.

I had an odd thing happen where a quilter found photos I'd taken of a show six months ago and asked that photos of her quilts be removed as she never gave me permission to post them (I didn't post them anywhere, they were just in my Flickr feed). There was no sign stating that no photography could be taken and the guild member that was sitting at the table said nothing to me as I walked around snapping photos. This was a show that was an exhibit in a museum for a few months. I immediately removed them of course out of respect to her and made all of the other photos taken at that show private so I wouldn't infringe on anyone else.

I just wondered how common this was? I thought that if the people participating in the show didn't want their designs photographed they would post signs stating so. I've always respected that.

It just strikes me as odd when some of the major shows (Paducah) post lots of photos online of the winning quilts. I guess I'm confused.

Help a new quilter out!
    Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
    Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
    Pinterest

Re: Your opinion: Posting photos of quilt shows online ok?

Katie, the copyright laws are slightly different in Australia but they are the same in essence and legally you are breaking the law if you 'publish' a photo of another persons work anywhere. Keep in mind that 'publish' is a legal term and includes things like uploading to the internet in any form or place, such as forums or flickr feeds. You would be reasonably safe if the location was private but simply storing them electronically where another person can see them is illegal.

Where photos are allowed at quilt shows there is a tacit understanding that such photos are for your own use/enjoyment and some shows will actually say this on their signs. Sadly there is insufficient understanding of the intellectual property law by the average person, which is understandable as we are rarely taught such things.

That you removed the photos immediately is good, it should be sufficient, but be mindful if this. Most people would not have an issue with it, most would understand that quilters like to share and what better to share than beautiful images of lovely quilts. But bottom line is, it's illegal unless permission has been given.

Where the organisers 'publish' photos of the quilts, permission has been automatically given, you sign that permission on your entry form, nor permission, no entry.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; May 17, 2011, 08:24 AM.
    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

The US is a highly litigious society and I assumed that anytime someone didn't want photos taken or shared they would post signs stating so.

It is impossible to get permission to share photos if you go to a show and the quilters are not present to get permission from. IMO with how prevalent online photo sharing is becoming it should be something quilt guilds and other organizations that put on shows should consider when planning a show.

Also there are lots of shows where people do not submit original work. Lots of muddy areas to cross it seems when thinking about it.
      Pinterest

Comment

When at the AQS Paducah Quilt Show in April I specifically asked the show coordinators if photos of the quilts were allowed in spite of seeing multiple cameras and flashes going off all around me. They said emphatically yes! I'm sure all owners of quilt entries at the Paducah show were well aware of the photography policy adopted by the AQS. In fact the AQS has posted all the winning show quilts in detail on their website and welcome viewers. Check out the winning quilts here:

http://www.americanquilter.com/shows...lt_winners.php

I did run into a vendor at Paducah who very plainly expressed that no photos be taken of her booth....and that was fine with me. Everyone has a right to protect their intellectual property. I certainly understand there are many gray areas regarding promoting for profit or publishing on the web and would respect a quilt owners wishes if they did not want their quilts displayed, but I am really not worried about posting my pics of this specific show on our quilting forum.

I have been to another show that did prohibit photos and I respected that. I understand that the Quilt Museum in Paducah is extremely adamant about no photos, no touching and not even sketching of the quilts there. As long as the quidelines are clearly communicated at each showplace there should be no issues.

I know for most of us, the chance to view the work of other talented artists is inspiring and educational. Except for the few opportunists who attempt to profit from another's work, I believe most artists welcome the appreciation and admiration of the public. Having said that I am still in full support of any artist who chooses to keep tight control of all images and descriptions of their work.
        Linda
        -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sewbee View Post
          As long as the quidelines are clearly communicated at each showplace there should be no issues.
          I think that is my main problem - it seems some shows don't communicate clearly.
          Pinterest

Comment

Originally posted by Katherine Vickery Ringo View Post
            I think that is my main problem - it seems some shows don't communicate clearly.
            I would agree Katie and I suspect that in many instances, they simply haven't thought about it themselves. It's an area that is slowly gaining more consideration as a legal issue. For example, at most shows here now if your work has been done in a class or from a book/pattern, then you need to acknowledge that on your entry etcetera.

Our national/state quilting bodies and magazines have been publishing artistic copyright articles for some years now, so the information is slowly spreading.
            Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Working...
            X