How many Jelly rolls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many Jelly rolls

How many jelly rolls does it take to make a king size top?

Re: How many Jelly rolls

Do you want the math or just a great guestimate? Which would be 4 with 40 strips. You will have a few strips left over though.

A King quilt is approximately 100x92 inches. A jelly roll typically has 40-42 strips at 2 1/2 inch wide. Depending upon the width of fabric (WOF) you will loose approximately 1 inch when you remove the selvage. Assume 40" WOF when trimmed. Allowing for the 1/2 loss with 1/4 inch seams, you will have resulting strips 2 inches wide when sewn together.

Length of 92 inches divided by 2 inches (width of sewn strips) says you will need 46 joined strips at 100 inches long.

Width of 100 inches, divided by 40" WOF for each strip, shows you will need 2 1/2 strips for the width of the quilt.

2 1/2 strips for the width times 46 strips for the length = 135 total strips (divided by 40 the number of strips in a jelly roll) = 3.375 (the number of rolls needed).
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Sandy, you crack me up!! You say guesstimate then come out with all the calculations, just like a math professor. Lol
      But I bet you are exactly right on your numbers.
      May the road rise up to meet you...
      May the wind be always at your back...
      May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
      Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

You can take it to the bank... that's Sandy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        oh,, and if not her.. JEAN!!!!!
        "Each day well-lived and Happy;
        that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

I just did a tutorial last week on making a king size jelly roll quilt top. I figured for a 110" by 96" top, you would need 132 strips, so that is a few more than 3 jelly rolls. If you look in my user notes, look at the last note for the links to the YouTube tutorials I did. It is in 5 segments for the entire process.

Comment

Working...
          X