Why does this happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does this happen?

I cut my binding strips at 2.5, machine sew to the front, and hand sew to the back.... Finally learned to mske the stitches invisible.

Anyway, I sometimes fund that the binding is not secure on the front... The top layer separates from the quilt at the seam line.

Should I make a deeper seam? It's do frustrating... I check as I go along, but must miss the separations before finishing the binding.

Does this make any sense to anybody?

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Re: Why does this happen?

yes, it sure does. Are you sewing your binding on with the "binding" on top of the quilt.?? It is much easier to make sure there is a deep enough seam and you don't get too little material to hold it together.

I don't fold my 2.5 strip in half... it's just not wide enough to stay together. Think about opening up that strip and taking a wider seam allowance... like 1/2 inch. then fold over and hand stitch. AND always use your walking foot when applying binding by machine.
    Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
    :icon_wave:

Comment

I got tired of stuff separating at the seam line. I shortened my stitch length to 1.5 on my machine instead of the regular 2.5. Smaller tighter stitches don't pull apart. Of corse if you make a mistake and I always do it takes a bit longer to rip out a seam since they are so nice and tight!
      Have a Sewonderful Day,
      Mary T.

Comment

Do you mean that the pieced top edge shifts away from the quilt sandwich edge? If so, you could either do a 1/8" stitch line around the quilt to make sure nothing shifts, or, if you have a serger, go around the edge with your serger before sewing the binding on. I have done both techniques before. Some fabric just does not want to behave, kind of like a bad hair day.
        Vonnie

Comment

Yes, what you mentioned can happen. I make my seam a generous 1/4". Just make sure you stop from the corner of your quilt the same as your seam allowance width. I don't pin the binding to the edge of the quilt. I keep it loose and make sure every few inches that it is aligned perfectly with the edge of the quilt. After I stitch the binding onto the front I go back and fix the seam if I waivered from the correct seam allowance. Does this make sense? I don't use a walking foot to apply my binding and never have had a problem. I lengthen my stitch a little also.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

You could always cut your strips wider and use a more generous seam. I always sew around the perimeter of my quilts securing all layers together before I attach my binding. You can smooth the layers out as you sew and it sure makes sewing the binding on easier to get straight and to make sure all the fabrics are caught. At first I couldn't envision what you were talking about, but it definitely could happen if the layers weren't all secure before the binding was attached.
            Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; March 29, 2014, 06:50 AM.

Comment

How about using the serpentine stitch?
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

LOL- love the bad hair day/ fabric quote. So true. Sometimes fabric is just not going to behave. If I am dealing with grumpy fabric (and I tend to know this before I get to the binding because it has misbehaved during the piecing process), I will serge the edges of the quilt sandwich before attaching the binding. I tend to do more than 1/4 inch when I machine bind it to the front. I don't pin it either, but hold it by hand, adjusting every few inches. Before I hand finish the back, I go over the front just in case something has escaped or doesn't look right (yeah, yeah, bad hair/fabric day).

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
                Do you mean that the pieced top edge shifts away from the quilt sandwich edge? If so, you could either do a 1/8" stitch line around the quilt to make sure nothing shifts, or, if you have a serger, go around the edge with your serger before sewing the binding on. I have done both techniques before. Some fabric just does not want to behave, kind of like a bad hair day.

Comment

I cut my binding at 2-3/4, fold and sew with a 3/8 inch seam.

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                    How about using the serpentine stitch?
                    You need a straight stitch when connecting the binding edge to the quilt.
                    K is for Karen 😊​..................
                    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                    T - is it TRUE?
                    H - is it HELPFUL?
                    I - is it INSPIRING?
                    N - is it NECESSARY?
                    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Yes, this has happened to me and so frustrating too. Tricks I have learned to help divert the problem.

(1) If I have an "non-pieced" border, using a wider than 1/4" seam is no problem.

(2) If my border is pieced, then taking more than a 1/4" seam allowance is a problem because it can cut-off points, etc.

(3) Before attaching the binding to the backing, I double-check the front binding seam allowance to make certain I have a sufficient amount of the quilt front in the seam allowance.

Hope these suggestions help.

Comment

I don't use the quarter inch foot when I sew on the binding, I use the regular sewing foot which is a bit wider.

Comment

Many good suggestions. I always (so far) Meander FMQ to the edge of the quilt...this helps when putting on the binding as the meandering is holding the layers together and less of a chance for the top layer to be missed. But make sure a generous 1/4inch seam is a good thing to
                          Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you all, for the great ideas.... I really appreciate them...

I think I will make a couple of changes in the way I do my bindings,,

First of all, I need to start using my walking foot....,I've bern using my quarter inch foot, and I think that really isn't working for me... I thunk using a reg, foot will allow me to make a wider, more stable binding...,

I might even do as Judy suggests, and leave my binding strip open, until it us all sewed on the quilt....

I have to admit that I am glad to see that others have this problem, too... I thought I was the only one... I know that's silly, but that us how I felt... I think a wider seam allowance, a wider strip, and a walking got will make all the difference... I like the idea of stitching all around the quilt, before adding the binding....again, more stability...

You guys are the best!

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Also, when you lay your binding strip on the quilt top, make sure the raw edges of your binding is in line with the raw edge of your quilt top. From the way I understand your description, it sounds as though you're not catching your quilt top as you sew your binding on.

Comment

Working...
                              X