Rag Quilts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rag Quilts

I have made rag quilts out of flannel but wanted to make one out of quilting cotton. I was just wondering if they frey as well and what you put on your back? I have seen the front made with cotton and the back made with flannel, but was wondering how the cotton would be for the back. And, what type of cotton material would you use.

Re: Rag Quilts

I have done them with cotton for the front and the back, but used flannel layers instead of batting. The cotton will fray. The flannel gives it a very ragged look.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
      I have done them with cotton for the front and the back, but used flannel layers instead of batting. The cotton will fray. The flannel gives it a very ragged look.
      Did you cut the flannel the same size as the front and back blocks or smaller. I really want to try this. Where I live it is very rare to find cotton batting . Flannel must make the quilt really nice to curl up with.
      "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
      Hillary Clinton

Comment

I've used cotton on the front and flannel for the middle and backing; cut all three layers the same size. It looks good when it all frays. I haven't used cotton on the front and back with flannel in the middle, but it would also work well. I like the flannel backing as it is soft and warm. Two layers of cotton with flannel in the middle would probably be lighter weight than using two layers of flannel.
        Last edited by Lindagie; March 28, 2014, 11:48 AM.
        :icon_wave: Linda
        "Home is where they love you"

Comment

I use flannel a lot and love it. I always prewash it first because it seems to shrink quite a bit.
          TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

I made one using cotton for the top and 2 layers of flannel.. Ragged up nicely. I cut all 3 layers the same size and didn't sew the "X" on the blocks. I didn't feel it was necessary because all three layers were the same size and sewn into the side seams - no shifting!

The top is 100% cotton University of Michigan fabrics, the middle layer is a dark blue flannel and the back is a yellow flannel.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Auntpiggylpn; March 28, 2014, 08:23 PM.

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

Working...
            X