Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found an 1898 Singer

for $75

is that a good deal? It's got some wear on it and I have no idea if it works or not. I found it at an antique shop. I'm not really into buying another machine, but it did catch my eye.

Re: I found an 1898 Singer

For that price it should work and they should let you try it out.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

What model? Easier to look for user notes and reviews with that than the year it was built. There are entire groups of Vintage Singer owners.

Comment

You can identify the machine's model with the help of this website: ID Singer Machines
        The price is correct if the machine DOES sew, but I would also pay attention to the model and check what it does need as supplies: some needles and bobbins can get really expensive.
        For instance, I am myself thinking of buying what I think is a 28K model for 60€ (around 80 $). It was made in 1891 according to the serial number. It uses normal class 15 Singer needles, but it has a shuttle bobbin system, and these parts are more expensive to replace if necessary. I plan to go next week to the antique shop with a needle and a bobbin that fits, and I will only buy the machine if it really works.
        When I was first interested in vintage machines, I was redirected to this other forum: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...thusiasts-f22/
        Good luck!

Comment

I agree with everyone. Make sure it is operable - is it in a cabinet? If not that's an issue. I was able to find floating bobbins - but you must be very careful because many of them are various lengths - there wasn't a real standard then. The most I've paid for an old Singer (other than the coveted Featherweights) is $45. Okay, I lied. I did pay $100 for a treadle in pristine condition - complete with four drawers full of attachments, notions, and accessories. Note the word pristine.
          Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
          it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Make sure that it has a bobbin case or if it uses the shuttle bobbins that it had the shuttle case. If it has a shuttle case make sure it had some shuttle bobbins. Can be difficult finding replacements of these.

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

Working...
            X