Help! My sister is....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! My sister is....

well I don't know what she is but it's NOT knowledgeable about quilts! uhg!! She is getting married and I thought wouldn't it be nice if I could make her a quilt. However, I was struggling with WHAT KIND of quilt to make her! SO! I just said the heck with it...I have to ask her.

So I said, would you like a quilt first and foremost...and she said well YES I LOVE QUILTS! And I'm like okay! Great! So go find pics of quilts you like and send them to me so that I have an idea of your style and I will pick one that fits with my skill level. She says fine. OH....MY...GOODNESS! WHAT is WRONG with my sister!!?! THESE are the images she sends me....

hunter quilt.jpg no idea quilt.jpgsun and tree.jpgsunset image.jpgtree sky.jpgunnamed.jpg

FINALLY she sends an ACTUAL quilt that I love but it's a wall hanging and not a lap quilt, and WAY beyond my skill level! uhg.

impossible but pretty.jpg

The ONLY other one that is a quilt is the one above with the animal prints and I HATE IT! She also would LOVE me to do a camo quilt and no offense to those who have done them but I despise camo. How can I create something beautiful when I despise the fabrics I'm working with! Especially as a newbie quilter?!

So...I'm pretty sure she is getting a Lee Valley picnic backpack as a wedding gift!

Re: Help! My sister is....

LOL! I think I would give her a picnic backpack as well
    Sharon

Comment

I think if I were you I would just make something that you feel that you can make well. Maybe with colors you know that she will like because in the end I bet it wont matter what pattern etc that you use and she will love whatever you make

Comment

lol I think it's cute she is a little artsy and thinks you can do it. Actually that last one wouldn't be that hard if you had the right fabrics. just make it like a mosaic.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=isch&imgdii=_
        Last edited by Hulamoon; March 27, 2014, 09:37 AM.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Wendy, you're not going to believe this, but I may have an easy peasy answer for you. I once bought and used a panel that is REMARKABLY similar to the final picture you posted (before the blue quilt). You could just put borders on the panel and Voila! Be a hero!

I sliced and diced the panel in my quilt, but you can still get the gist of it in my album. You might try equilter.com or some other "archival" online store to find it.

I'm on a tablet, so I'm unable to give you a link to the quilt. But if you visit my profile, it's pictures #15 & 16 in GuitarGramma's Album (not the UFO album) -- you'll see two duckies in the foreground.
          Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Find beautiful tree fabrics.....seems the theme. Good luck! I love the pic of the huge tree with the sun beaming through.....but so not a quilt!

Comment

If you are giving her a picnic backpack, perhaps you can quilt up a picnic blanket to go with it. Solid colors to coordinate with the pack? Back it with denim maybe.

Comment

First quilt design I thought of was "Tree of Life." She's got a picture there of a beautiful tree in her photos ! That would be my choice. This one is on my list. "Four Seasons" quilt by Laura Blanchard of Plum Tree Quilts. This quilt is 60" x 60". In fact, thanks for the reminder. I just ordered the pattern.http://www.thepatternpeddlers.com/ph...PTQ/PTQ003.jpg

All of the pictures she has shown you are about nature. I'd try to find fabrics that remind you of nature and a pattern that represents something to do with nature. I don't think she's expecting you to come up with something that's realistic looking like the photos but certainly something representative of nature should work.

Don't give up. I think it's nice that she's interested in quilts and would like to have one made by her sis.
                Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; March 27, 2014, 09:31 AM.
                Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

How about something like this with a couple coordinating borders around it?

Robert Kaufman Fabric Nature Studies Panel Mountain Snow Forest Floor Trees | eBay
                  Debbie

Comment

I would suggest a panel also. Nature scene with tress and animals seems to be what she likes. Panels work up fast and easy.
                    sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                    Sigmund Freud

Comment

Oh my... I think I would just ask her what colors she prefers, and tell her the design will be a surprise.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I see trees as the theme of what she likes. There are many beautiful fabrics with trees and leaves. What about a lodge pine pattern?

Here's one that could be paper pieced -

Google Image Result for http://0.tqn.com/d/quilting/1/0/d/E/-/-/treesteps.jpg

here's another:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...rt=222&ndsp=33

and some more images to think about:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pine...ml%3B406%3B318
                        Last edited by dwil23; March 27, 2014, 01:08 PM.
                        Donna

Comment

I'm incline to agree to either go with a panel or ask the colors of the bedroom and surprise her with a quilt in those colors.

Comment

I would recommend to get a nice tree panel and do a Nine Patch Pizazz!
                            Happy Quilting!

Comment

You might check out Northcott also. They have some awesome nature panels and coordinating fabric for sashing or borders. Thousandsofbolts usually has a good selection of these at reasonable prices.
                              Ann

Comment

Working...
                              X