Wow - Instructor totally out of line - sorry it's a long rant here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow - Instructor totally out of line - sorry it's a long rant here

I go with my neighbor Jane (I got her hooked on quilting) to a local free quilt class. We've done it for a year or so. Instructor has never liked me for some reason, but hey - sometimes people just don't care for you, but she likes my neighbor. No biggie, she doesn't teach anything, and I'm making whatever quilt she is doing.

So Jane and I are sewing along. Instructor has raffle tickets for her guild. I get up and look at the drop dead gorgeous quilt they were raffling and bought some tickets. I also brought in a quilt to have the instructor quilt it (her side business). So as I am leaning over to fill out the tickets, the instructor starts yelling, "Really? Did you bring that?" I didn't know what she was upset about so I'm looking across the room to see who or what is upsetting her.

Then the instructor yells louder, "Jane, did you really bring that book?" Jane looks up and goes "What?" The instructor, getting pissed now, "This is a mystery block, why would you bring that book to class?". I then pipe up, "That's not her book, it's mine; I brought it. Jane gave it to me for Christmas. I'm sorry, I didn't know not to bring it to class". Instructor then looks at me with disgust and repeats this is a mystery quilt, hruhmph and mutters under her breath at me. Okay, Jane I have never seen mad before. She had steam coming out her ears. I sometimes don't know when to hold my tongue when my Irish gets up, so I decided to take a walk outside and chill a bit and not bite her head off.

When I return, Jane is fuming. The instructor asks Jane, "Are you alright? Should we talk outside?" (she sees the steam too!) Jane then let into her, "No, we don't need to go outside. How would anyone know whether to bring the book or not?, etc." . The instructor then gave her a weak apology, still not getting up and very insincere. I said well I deserve an apology too. It's my book, neither of us have ever been to a guild, or mystery whatever, how the heck would I know it was taboo?" She had been showing pictures of the quilts in color from the book in class (jr. collegd couldn't pay to print them in color, so she would only print out one to show in class). Instructor ignores me completely, still focused on Jane. I pack up, take my quilt back from the instructors' table, toss the raffle tickets on her seat and leave. Jane's right behind me.

So, when I got home I realized that what was upsetting is not the instructor's ignorance or lack of teaching skills, she didn't really teach stuff, it was kinda lame, but it was something I really enjoyed doing with Jane. I work like a dog and so does she. This was our "girl time".

The other ladies are all very nice, but I can quilt at home; it was just I enjoyed doing something with my friend. Jane may go back, I think, just to see if she really apologizes to her or to "set her straight". If she keeps going, I'm glad, she just liked the social part, like I did.

So, how would you have reacted? I'm interested to know.
    Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.
    Maya Angelou

~Megan~

Re: Wow - Instructor totally out of line - sorry it's a long rant here

I would have probably said much more and been kicked out. Is this a store or what that youmhave your class at. Is she the owner?

For me, I would not have left, i would have said my piece and continued my sewing with my friend. I would have kept the tickets hoping I could win and make her mader. I definetly would have taken the wuilt back and never given her another lick of work

You should go back with your friend. You two deserve the sewing and social time. Make her the uncomfortable one. Oh, and. I would always have my book with me
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Man, I think I would have let her have it..... What was the big deal? If she didn't want certain books to be brought in, she should have said something... Besides.... What made the difference? They don't call me the family popoff for nothing...
      The instructor wad way out of line.

You and Jane can still quilt together...just not still that class....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

LOL! Love your attitude! that's great!

Originally posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
        I would have probably said much more and been kicked out. Is this a store or what that youmhave your class at. Is she the owner?

For me, I would not have left, i would have said my piece and continued my sewing with my friend. I would have kept the tickets hoping I could win and make her mader. I definetly would have taken the wuilt back and never given her another lick of work

You should go back with your friend. You two deserve the sewing and social time. Make her the uncomfortable one. Oh, and. I would always have my book with me
        Maya Angelou

~Megan~

Comment

She never said not to bring it. How easy would it have been just to whisper, hey stick that away, you're giving away the secret?
          I had to hold my tongue for sure. I didn't want to spoil the class for the rest of them. They were having fun.

Originally posted by easyquilts View Post
          Man, I think I would have let her have it..... What was the big deal? If she didn't want certain books to be brought in, she should have said something... Besides.... What made the difference? They don't call me the family popoff for nothing...
          The instructor wad way out of line.

You and Jane can still quilt together...just not still that class....
          Maya Angelou

~Megan~

Comment

Ummm yea I would have asked her what idiot class she graduated from and told her to pipe down untwist her panties and have a seat. I also would NOT have left I would have continued sewing ,smiling and act as if nothing happened (that would have really ripped her cheerieos) hahahaha ppffttt people like her dont deserve a second thought. You and your friend go back there ,walk in like you own the place and have a wonderful time! poo poo on her and her silly attitude! ps when you go back bring a whole bag of books and pass them around!! lol

Comment

Yes, it would have been much wiser for her to quietly ask for the book to be put away, instead of making such a scene. No one would have noticed. But I bet after her very public scolding of Jane, EVERYONE was looking at that book and probably thinking maybe they'll just get the book and skip the class!

To answer your question, what would I have done - knowing me and my scrappy nature, I would have lit into her with a few choice words. But I think walking out made just as big of a statement - there's no way the rest of the class could not have noticed.

Comment

My thought is that she saw you as competition or was intimidated in some way.....
                I don't know you Megan, but I would love to be able to meet you! You can get a feeling for people even over the internet.....I believe that you have never said an unkind word in the 2 years I've been here.

You did the right thing I think and I hope that you can find a time and place to get together with your friend!
                ~Kathy~

Comment

I would have told her off and then complained to her boss if she has one. And then I'd take the book that she claims I was not supposed to bring to class (how is a mystery quilt in the book?) and I would have given it a big shove....well you know where. And then I would have left.
                  pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
                    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm not sure what is going on with the instructor but it seems she has a lot more going on than what she is letting on. Maybe it is something in her private life or is she just ticked off because she thinks everyone sewing should be doing what she is teaching. Personally, I'm not sure that I would want to go back, I would probably see about setting up a place to quilt at another location with your friend and several other people.

Comment

Hmmmmmm......sounds like an instructor I had, for a class. Didn't learn a thing from her.....but I finally did finsh the quilt more than a year later. I have been hesitant to take a class since then.
                        Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                        I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

I the heat of the moment I probably would of walked out too. Nothing wrong with showing how pissed off you were with her. I would go back though. Maybe other ladies spoke to her after you left. Maybe she feels like a fool. Give it another try.
                          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I think I would have said something like... Do you really expect your business to continue successfully with outbursts of insults like this while working with people that have come to learn and be inspired enough to "purchase" here???? Then I would have gone to the owner of the place and explained how hurt and angry you both were and maybe perhaps a bit embarrassed to be spoken to in that manner in front of a group of people... (that would be the kind way)... Not sure I would have kept my temper in check that well though, now that I'm an older lady...LOL
                            "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                            that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

I think I would of done what you did. And I probably would not go back...which would mean if it were in a quilt store...they would have lost my business as well. My life is way to short to spend it around people who suck the life out if me. Maybe you and jane can find a different class to go to?
                              Mary
                              SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X