Sewing Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sewing Machines

I know I only bought my very 1st machine one year ago,most of you remember the pics of HIM yup mines a male machine hahahaha! Anywayyyy I want a new one! I want one that has a larger throat and embroiders . I saw somebody on here say they would NEVER own a singer don't remember who or why but I would like to get opinions. What machine do you have ,what would y'all recommend etc

Re: Sewing Machines

Get one for your Seester!
    ~Kathy~

Comment

lol you guys are funny.

I have a Babylock. It's a little on the high end. We were refinancing our house and it kind of snuck in somehow. lol. I love those and Vikings. My shop is a dealer for both of those though. And you know living on an island you don't have much choice. I have heard of stand alone embroidery machines and I didn't even know of those. Get a machine that will have the biggest hoop you can afford. My first only held a 4x4 and you can't do much with it. I use my 5x7 hoop the most.

Oh and I just found out the Babylock came out with a 6x6 hoop that is advertised for being perfect for quilting designs. I'm calling in the morning to find out how much. The manager has been on vacation and no one else in the store handles that stuff. I thought that was a little weird.
      Last edited by Hulamoon; March 26, 2014, 01:23 AM.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by bkthomas View Post
        Get one for your Seester!
        pffftttt I think not! lol I will get you a nice shiny black eye tho ......just for fun! lol I looove you! :P

Comment

I have a Janome 11000 that's been very good to me.
          Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I have a Babylock too (Esante BLN) , and my hoops range from 1 1/2" X 2" up to the 6 X 10. I also like being able to buy Brother attachments/accessories, as they are a little less costly than Babylock, and it broadens my options (...read as my wants)

I have been very pleased with this machine and believe me I have not been nice to it sometimes and it just keeps working like a charm.

I checked into the the 6x6 hoop and it doesn't seem to be available for my machine. sigh

If I had to do it over again, I would probably go with a stand alone embroidery machine and a good sewing/throat space machine.
            Sometimes I wake up Grumpy!
            Other times I just let HIM sleep.

Lynn

Comment

While I like my Husqvarna/Viking I probably would not reccommend it to others. The primary thing that turned me off to reccommeding these machines is the company.

•The sales rep at the dealer inside Joann's where I bought the machine is very rude/sexist toward me. Insisting that my rewards account was "probably under my wife's name", which would be odd since my wife doesn't sew.

• Their "rewards" program is ridiculous. Your points for money spent are not available immediately then when they become available at some random time later you must spend them quickly or they disappear. I had trouble getting a straight answer about the exact timeline of the points from the rude dealer rep and she suggested that I look it up online. (What exactly do you do here if not answer questions about the machines/brand?!)

• The accessories are ridiculously expensive. The feet for my Brother machine are as little as $5 sometimes but H/V feet start at about $35 and move north from there. I've got more money invested in feet for this machine than I paid for my other sewing machine.

The machine is nice and it does sew well but I feel like the owner of a performance race car. When it works it is spectacular but it needs a lot of attention and all the parts are really expensive. I'm sure not all dealers are as rude or clueless as some of the people I have dealt with but it left a bad taste in my mouth when I spent more than what I once paid for a used car on a luxury sewing machine I expected to have at least reasonable service to back it up.

My inexpensive mechanical Brother machine on the other hand- it sews like a champ. It lacks any of the fancy bells and whistles of the digital machine and it has a small throat but it sews with almost any thread, rarely gunks up with lint, and has provided me with years of happy service. YMMV.
              Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

I have a Pfaff Creative Sensation. It is wonderful and I love using it. Very user friendly and other than cleaning the bobbin area (it does not like a lot of lint there) it is a breeze to use. I have hoops up to 8 x 14. I have only used the 4x4 a few times. It is on the upper end price wise but for me it was worth the investment. I also bought the Pfaff Passport 2.0 for travel and classes. It is small but very powerful and takes all the feet I have for the CS and has the IDT system. The feet for the Pfaffs are actually cheaper than they were for the Viking I owned before.
                Ann

Comment

I agree with Ryan about customer service. My DMIL gave me her old Viking when she upgraded. It was the first computerized machine I had ever owned and I was intimated by it. I went to the local dealer to ask for help - I was more than willing to pay for lessons - but they never had time for me. They had time to try to sell me a new one! But it was one excuse after another. So when the time came where I wanted a bigger throat space I went to another dealer in town. They have treated me right. Even though they no longer sell the brand that I bought from them, they told me they would always be available to service it.

The dealers that know how to treat customers and potential customers are the ones that are succeeding. I would rather pay a little more for a machine that is being sold by a local dealer with good customer service than to get a bargain off the internet and no one to help when I run into problems.
                  Vonnie

Comment

I agree that the dealer can make or break a deal. It has been pointed out to me that I paid more for the used Pfaff that I am currently using that I could have bought a new machine at a discount store. I point out that I can call or go to the dealer I bought my used Pfaff from and they help me. I'm new to having to maintain and adjust a machine. I appreciate having my dealer to help me learn and get to a point I can enjoy my machine.

Comment

I have a Singer, I think I told you where I bought it thru. I have been nothing but pleased with their customer service (over the phone) when I needed help the one time I did. The model I have has the embroidery unit, which I have never tried...one day! It came with two different size hoops.

If I had to buy anothe machine, I would not hesitate to buy another of this kind. The only thing it does not have is a thread cutter, but I can live without that.
                      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I have a Janome 6600, which has a larger harp or throat area than most sewing machines. I think it's a little shy of 9 inches. I love this machine. I also have a Janome 5100, that's great to piece on. I've got a Singer Confidence Quilter 7469Q, that I had trouble with but have since gotten it repaired and works great now. I'm learning to free motion quilt and currently using the Janome 6600 for that.
                        I do have several other machines including a Singer Treadle that is my favorite of all. It makes better looking stitches of all the machine I have.

Phyllis

Comment

I see many of you have more then one machine that you use.I have the singer one,I like it a lot just not when I start quilting a large quilt. Do any of you have a long arm? I found one called "sweet sixteen" its sooooo sexy! ~sigh~ but I dunno about having a machine that costs 5 grand just for quilting.

Comment

On that Singer I told you I have, I quilted a queen size w/no problem. And then, I got Matilda.
                            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I have a Viking Designer Diamond that I love, use it for embroidery. Has large hoops but I find I use the 5x7 more than any other . I've had Vikings for about 20 years.
                              I did have one of the high end Pfaffs but didn't think it was very user friendly. I recently brought home a new Brother Dreamweaver with the laser pen and absolutely love this machine. I'm using it for all my sewing while my Viking does beautiful embroidery. Yes I'm spoiled, but I'm retired and it's just me and my 2 dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X