Money down the drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Money down the drain

I had this brilliant idea to find a used sewing machine for my 9yr old niece for Easter (she's always bugging to use mine). I found a Brother L2125 with some scrap fabric, some accessories and all the original parts on craigslist (and it was in the same town as her) they were asking 75. I asked if I could come look at it and test it out and she said I could. She stated she got it for christmas (justpassed) and only used it to make curtains for two rooms. Place was clean and no pets that I could see. I tested it there and it seemed to work better than I thought. Decided I would purchase it. Put in my car headed to my moms for dinner and on the way home my car was stinky. Got home threw all the scrap fabric in the garbage, it was the cause of the smell. Brought the seing machine in and wanted to clean it and oil it up . Oh my was it dusty and covered in dog hair on the inside. Scrubbed it down and cleaned the inside as best I could and oiled it up. thread a bobbin and the machine and set out to see what it could do. After an hour of monkey with it and having to re-thread and fix the bobbin several times. I find this find a waste of time and money.. Now back to saving money for the next couple of weeks to just purchase a new one.

I'm annoyed and frustrated, anyone else have a find that didn't turn out so well?

Re: Money down the drain

You might want to get it professionally cleaned, which would be cheaper than a new one. It might just have dirt and dog hair in places you couldn't reach. Sorry this happened when you were trying to do something nice.
    Dawn
    A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Comment

I agree, it might just need a good professional once over. Dog hair is insidious that way and can be found in all sorts of places.
      I feel bad for you that you had to go thru this frustration though. Hope you get it worked out with minimal more expense. I'm sure your niece will be very happy.

Comment

That disgusting as to how filthy it was! I'm with Dawn. Take it to your local shop and see what they can do with it? Tell them what happened and ask what they would charge to get it working again. If it's too much ask if you could trade it in for a new machine. They may give you a discount on a new one if you give it to them. They'll most likely fix it up and re-sell it for a profit. The fact that you were able to sew on it at her house means that all is not lost so I feel confident that they will probably work with you.
        Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Good advice from Rebecca. It doesn't have to be money down the drain. It sounds like an easy fix for a professional.
          Last edited by Bubby; March 26, 2014, 04:57 AM.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thanks guys.. I'm calling the local shop today to see what can be done. Thank you!

Comment

It's wonderful that your niece is interested in sewing, so many young people aren't, so a new one might last her several years.

Not to be a downer here but, you could have bought a new one from Walmart for about $50 more. Since repairmen usually get a fixed minimum rate it would be cheaper to buy a new one. And for more downer advice, NEVER go to someones house on Craiglist, it's dangerous, always meet in a neutral public location. I know it's hard to find a place where you can test run a sewing machine but if you look/ask around you could find a place and if you can't, don't buy it.

Also, keep an eye out on your local auctions, I've seen tons that can be snagged for $5 to $25. I bought a 50's singer, one of those black ones, complete with attachments and it works, for $5.
              Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

Sorry this happened. If the machine worked when you tried it at her house I think you might be okay with a good cleaning. If the house was clean it is possible that she put the machine in the basement or attic without being covered. I don't know if it is too far from you but there is a wonderful repair shop in Penn Yan on Route 14A. He is Mennonite and can fix anything. He also takes machines in on trade and has a nice selection of used machines. His prices are very reasonable. Good luck.
                Ann

Comment

I agree with everyone else take it to a professional to be checked out. My SIL gave me an old white sewing machine still in the original cabinet. It was in bad shape cause they had it stored in an old building with lots of moisture, dust and cold temps. I think it cost me $50 to have it repaired and it runs beautifully now. Just needed a little TLC.

Comment

Working...
                  X