Help! Tension issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Tension issue.

I have done everything to correct the problem several times. Bobbin thread straight. I can pull the stitches right out. This started on my Janome 8900 right after I had practiced FMQ. I know a recently read a post about the tension screw on the bobbin case. Emergency! Don't have time to take it to the dealer. Can anyone help?
    Peggy:icon_hug:

Re: Help! Tension issue.

Sew a seam on solid colored fabric. Use different colors of contrasting thread in the top and bottom, example - white fabric with red thread on top and green in the bobbin. Take a picture of the stitches from the top and one from the bottom and post here. If I can see what you are talking about there's a better chance I can help you.

Do you have a drop in bobbin case or one of the metal ones that you have to put in the machine?
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

when the bobbin thread is straight, wouldn't it be too tight? and it's pulling the top thread down, OR the top thread is sooo loose that it's allowing top to be pulled down without pulling the bottom thread to it's correct place. I assume you threaded the machine with the presser foot up, so as to release the tension discs….this would cause you to have really loose top thread and it's easy to forget when FMQ because you don't raise the foot as much.

I have the 8900 and was having the exect opposite last evening…top thread straight and I could pull it out. I was playing with top tension and had moved it off auto to the highest setting and that was what happened. I noticed…after i made a mess with straight stitching, but i loosened / corrected the tension and it was ok.

If i find the article, I'll post it. BUT, because my thread was breaking, I bought another bobbin case that basically loosened the bobbin thread for FMQ. IF you mark the little screw on the bobbin and make 1/4 turn increments, you might be able to correct this issue…….but it sounds like you are having the opposite issue.

BUT, I'm not a professional fixer, so proceed at your own risk. but let me know how you fix it.

sue

Comment

Sue. I made the 1/4 turn. It helped a little, turned the screw another 1/4, now it's skipping stitches.
        Karen I have a drop in bobbin. I will try to take some pics after I cut some more fabric & a get different colort thread, won't be the same fabric & thread. Thanks!!

Comment

It's always easier to see what the thread is doing when everything is a different color. My Pfaff has the metal bobbin case that you put the bobbin in and then put the whole thing in the machine. I've become a master at getting the tension on it set right. I know exactly where the screw should be and every once in a while need to tighten it. Your bobbin might not have wound right too. Sometimes they are enough off to mess everything up.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

image.jpgimage.jpg. I hope this shows up okay. I have some improvement, after adjusting screw. No skipped stitches. Tried to duplicate the same situation for the skipped stitches, no skips. It happened at thick joins. What do y'all think?

Comment

I am looking at the bobbin thread, right? If so, loosen the screw a tiny bit more and with what you said about it happening more at thick spots, I'd put in a new needle.

Before you speak,
              T - is it TRUE?
              H - is it HELPFUL?
              I - is it INSPIRING?
              N - is it NECESSARY?
              K - is it KIND?

Comment

That is the back, the white thread is the upper thread. I have put in 3 new needles. Same results. I will adjust the screw a little more. Thanks.

Comment

I adjusted the screw another 1/4 turn for a total of two turns. It is good now. Wow, I wouldn't think doing FMQ would change the tension so much. I guess I will have to buy a separate bobbin case for FMQ. Thanks for all of the help. I'm going to bed and have a fresh start in the morning. I'm beat. Worked on this problem all day.

Comment

You didn't by any chance forget to put the feed dogs back up after practicing your FMQ? Just a thought.
                    I am pretty sure if you go to the Janome website you can email them your issue and they will give you some advice but be prepared to wait a few days for an answer.
                    OR I would give the dealer where you bought the machine a call. My dealer has an excellent Janome instructor who can talk me through just about any problem I have had.

Comment

https://janomelife.wordpress.com/201...-quilt-canada/ Down towards the end of the article she talks about the blue dot bobbin case. You can see it on the Janome website. I think I might have ordered from Amazon...anyways, if you google FMQ Janome Blue Dot bobbin case, you can read about it on several sites and of course there is controversy, AS always. Blue bobbin case - Janome 8900 ( That one is kind of comical) But it helped me. Darn machine cost enough that I should not have had to buy an additional bobbin case AND a thread holder ! I mean REALLY, a thread holder??? Really?? A "quilting machine" but can't hold anything but a spool of thread? Geeze o man! Ok, I've griped enough, I"ve got to get up from here and go.

Comment

Working...
                      X