Thangles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thangles

I'm starting a quilt that has a million HST's (or so it seems). On a whim today, while picking up some fabric at my LQS, I picked up a package of Thangles thinking it might speed the process along. I'm not impressed, is it just me?

I'm having to cut more fabric than usual (3/4" on each strip), align the thangle, pin, press, rip, then square. Seems more trouble than just marking my lines, sewing, pressing and squaring. Not to mention the paper that that gets ripped off creating trash.

For those that have used or still use them, what's your opinion?

Re: Thangles

I have never used them, as I love to do flying geese. I know a friend has done paper pieced ones, but not Thangles, and swears by them.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Originally posted by yeeehawterri View Post
      I'm starting a quilt that has a million HST's (or so it seems). On a whim today, while picking up some fabric at my LQS, I picked up a package of Thangles thinking it might speed the process along. I'm not impressed, is it just me?

I'm having to cut more fabric than usual (3/4" on each strip), align the thangle, pin, press, rip, then square. Seems more trouble than just marking my lines, sewing, pressing and squaring. Not to mention the paper that that gets ripped off creating trash.

For those that have used or still use them, what's your opinion?
      I recommend bloc loc rulers for flying geese.
      Mary
      SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

Hate, hate, hate thangles!

I remember seeing a diagram where you can draw a lot of lines on the backside of fabric and make a bunch of hst's at the same time. I think it might have been Quilt in a Day. I will see if I can find the diagrams.
        Vonnie

Comment

I never have any luck with Thangles. Hate ripping off all the paper, too. Don't ever need to use them again
          :icon_rolleyes:There are 3 kinds of men
          The one who learns by reading
          The few who learn by observation
          The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence themselves
          Will Rogers
          :icon_shake:

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. Harry S Truman
          :icon_shake:

Imperfect action is better than perfect inaction.
          :icon_giggle:

Comment

Here's a couple of ways:

How to Make 8 Half-Square Triangles at Once: The Magic 8 Method
            Quilting | Half Square Triangle | Free Pattern & Tutorial at CraftPassion.com - Part 2
            Julie's Half-Square Triangle Directions
            Last edited by Vonnie; March 25, 2014, 03:06 PM.
            Vonnie

Comment

Whew! It's not just me! I'll just stick with my tried and true method, which isn't so bad after using the Thangles.
              Vonnie, I think I'd probably mess them up trying to do a bunch all at once. Maybe I'll try one batch and see how that goes. Thanks!
              Last edited by yeeehawterri; March 25, 2014, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yeeehawterri View Post
                Whew! It's not just me! I'll just stick with my tried and true method, which isn't so bad after using the Thangles.
                Vonnie, I think I'd probably mess them up trying to do a bunch all at once. Maybe I'll try one batch and see how that goes. Thanks!
                You're welcome. I tend to just do the two squares (rounded up - can't stand staring at 7/8") and the drawn line on the back of the lighter fabric. Do a bunch, then have some TV work trimming them up.
                Vonnie

Comment

I took a BOM class last year that used Thangles. I wasn't impressed. It seemed like a lot of work when you need just a few HSTs. Even if I had a lot of HSTs to make, it would be easier with other methods. The ONLY time I'd use a Thangle is when you have fabric that is smaller than what you'd normally need to make a HST.

Comment

I've never used Thangles, but I have used the Half Square Triangle papers put out by Laundry Basket. They come in 1.5 and 2 inch. You just pin the 2 fabrics and the papers together and sew on the printed lines. Each sheet produces 28 HST. Very easy, fairly easy "therapy" sewing.

Holly

Comment

I'm with Holly....I like the half square triangle paper that comes on a roll....great timesaver and mindless sewing if you have a lot of half square triangles to make. I tried Thangles when I was first learning to quilt and didn't like them at all . Patti

Comment

Working...
                      X