Favor and need help/info right away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favor and need help/info right away

A very dear friend told me tonight that they think she has ALS (or one of three other neuro diseases). All 4 that they have narrowed it down to are horrific and heartwrenching. I have a neuro disease myself, which made it all the more devastating. I never wanted to talk to a friend about commonalities from my disorder. She is losing her health, lives in TX between Dallas and Ft. Worth? Anyway, could you recommend what kind of quilt design that is fairly fast, very cheerful, colors, type of batt? I'm guessing lap size would be ideal.
    My emotions are very high strung and rather crushed, so if any of you could help direct me to something for her to have and feel loved by. I'm not sure what to do that is very happy and upbeat, not too heavy for that area/weather, shows love.... I really could use some input from people who have had to quickly put together a quilt that would work for North TX and not too heavy because her muscles/nerves are going disfunctional.

I am anxious for some replies. I know what makes me cheerful, but I also know not all people think the same way so other viewpoints would be wonderful. She is a very natural person who in her better days would garden and make everything in her life -- perhaps the Hippie lifestyle in a conservative body? Does that help?
    Melanee

Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Re: Favor and need help/info right away

Fast and easy would be a nine patch. The disappearing nine patch puts a little bit of a spin on it, but still easy, maybe not as fast because it involves cutting and sewing the nine-patch blocks back together.

To save yourself time, buying the precut charm packs to make the quilt would be a great idea. Missouri Star Quilt Company has a bunch of different ones to choose from. Bright, spring colors, florals, more subdued sets, just about anything you are looking for. A cotton top, with a cotton backing and a warm and white or warm and natural batting would be a good weight for that area of Texas. I grew up in Arlington and most of my family is still in that area. The batting I mentioned is a tighter weave so doesn't require your quilting stitches to be as close together, which would save you some time as well.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

The Double Slice Layer Cake is a simple pattern that packs a punch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxC-0T5lXw4 1 layer cake and some coordinating border/binding and it would make a nice sized quilt. Using her favorite color(s) is a sure win, and since she loves gardens, a floral would be nice. Lilac Hill by Moda is a very pretty line of fabrics.

My favorite batting is bamboo batting, its light weight but a little more expensive than the Warm and Natural batting, which is also light weight.

What a wonderful thing you're doing for your friend...she is blessed to have you care so much!!
      Last edited by mrswindy4; May 14, 2011, 01:11 AM.
      ~Mary
      As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

My mother loved using flannel in her quilts instead of batting. Makes it lightweight. Lots of cheerful colors in today's fabrics. Pre-cuts are certainly quick. You might find out what her favorite color is or the colors of her family room and go with brights that blend with the room. So sorry to hear about your friend's troubles and yours as well. A quilt should be a comfort to her and every time she uses it she'll think of a supportive friend, you.
        Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Hi
          i made a quilt as you go lap quilt for my husband. Was very very quick and Jenny has a great tutorial on it. You can use lovely happy fabrics.. i got remnants for very little off ebay and it looked great. He takes it to chemo with him.

On the otherhand i am currently making a dresdon quilt using the magic dreson template. Oh my goodness, they are quick! i machine appique onto a plain block. Is such fun and it really is very quick and cheerful. The plates look like flowers which your friend might like as she loves gardening.

Good luck with it and keep your chin up, i am sure that making this quilt for her will make her feel very cared for and will help you too.

big hugs
          Blog
          http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

God bless you for all you are doing. Seems like the most comforting thing we can do and to show how much we care is to make a nice yummy quilt. I agree that the disappearing nine patch is quick and easy. There are several excellent battings that are very thin and would not impair her.

My best to the both of you.
            Susan

Comment

I am sorry for your troubles and the sadness. This is good of you to do and I am sure will be well appreciated. I was also going to suggest the disappearing nine patch. I am just now returning to quilting after staying away for many years and I am working on a disappearing nine patch right now. I am using Moda's Dilly Dally charm squares and they are SO CHEERFUL!!

Comment

Well, I've taken your advice and went to the fabric store (rather disappointing) to find only a few charm packs. I finally found hidden two that were Moda "Spirit" (a miracle, as the rest were dark colors) and then got some fabric from the Moda "lovely" grouping. They go together very well. I had to make up for the missing 3rd pack for a lap blanket. It took a long time to place them, as this charm pack had only a few designs and those were in several colors. I didn't want a bunch in the same look hugging. A semi-formal border of Chester Garden Fabric. I also found the best fabric for the back -- it is soooooo cheerful. It is called Pixie Patch II : http://www.bugfabric.com/blank_quilting_pixie_patch.htm -- looks a LOT better in real life than in the picture. It'll be the hidden happy garden on the back. I'll do a turquoise around the D9P as a first border and then the Chester Garden Fabric. I still have to figure out the binding. That is a few days away. I think the slowest part was trying to keep fabrics that were basically identical apart. I was exhausted after doing that for several hours so as a Sabbath activity, I'll work on that when not at Church. I'm hoping to have it done by the end of the week and have it into the mail to her. I'm taking pictures step by step so I document my first pieced full sized lap blanket (basically a twin once I border it). Thank you for cheering me up. She will need me so I must keepup my spirit. God Bless you all for helping so much and so quickly!
                Melanee

Comment

That pixie patch fabric is cute! Good choice, and good luck on the quilt.
                  K is for Karen 😊​..................
                  Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                  T - is it TRUE?
                  H - is it HELPFUL?
                  I - is it INSPIRING?
                  N - is it NECESSARY?
                  K - is it KIND?

Comment

Your friend is very blessed to have you! Good luck on your quilt....sounds like you are on track now.

Comment

The Bugfabric site is one of my favorites. Glad you were able to find the fabric you liked.
                      Susan

Comment

I honestly think there was a higher power -- seriously, all the charm pack (just a few) were dark colors. I found one of Spirit and finally, on a very high shelf reached and found one alone that had fallen behind! I knew that I needed three from reading, so I managed to find colors that were a perfect match in the Lovely bolds of fabric by Moda (a very cheerful collection if someone needs one). Then I needed the back fabric - and looked all over and found that one in with a bunch and it was the only playful, lighthearted one - and the colors work great. I felt very blessed. Today I will sew the 9 patches. Tomorrow I'll cut and twist and then resew. I'm hoping to have most of the top done by tomorrow night. fingers crossed!
                        Melanee

Comment

My fingers and toes are crossed for you! Sounds like you are doing great!

Comment

You have probably already started, Melanee, but wanted to add my 2cents worth. First off, what a great friend you are. She is lucky to have you and you must feel equally blessed. Have you thought of making a prayer shawl? I know there are patterns for knit and crochet so there must be for quilted ones, too. Using light weight cotton or similiar fabric with the cheerful colors you like, would send her a great message! As would a hand made quilt! You win either way! Good luck...as both of you deal with your medical situations.

Comment

Thank you, Meemeecyn. I appreciate that idea! Prayer shawl is something that I may do as well. She has such difficult times ahead of her -- God's mercy and kindness will definitely be needed to deal with such overwhelming odds. Again, thank you.
                              Melanee

Comment

Working...
                              X