X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MayinJerset
    replied
    Re: Buying yardage with pre-cuts?

Pre cuts do cut down on stash building but since I don't need to build a stash any longer, plus running out of storage space I'm been favoring them more.

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

I buy more yardage than I do pre-cuts. I usually don't have a plan or pattern in mind. I buy it if I like it & sort of have an idea of what I could make with it. I have 2 jelly rolls & 2 charm packs bought from M* which I still haven't made anything from. I do, however, buy a lot of FQs. I go through the "orphan corner" every time I'm at the LQS. These are FQs cut from the ends of bolts which are discounted 25% off the reg. price. Some wks. ago I bought a bunch. I found quite a few that coordinated. I made the "Gone Fishing" quilt (in one of my albums) with some of that fabric. I'm using some of another color now in the Dis. Pinwheel Churn Dash. I was somewhat disappointed in the charm packs, as I had to trim almost every one for a uniform 5" square. So where is the time saving in that?! Most of the quilts I make are from yardage or FQs. JCY

Leave a comment:

• MayinJerset
    replied

Wish I had thought about yardage when I bought a charm pack from M* for a future baby quilt. DGD Mary is expecting so I checked out M* yardage to match the charm pack, they only have a few fabrics and I'm not 'in love' with any of them for the borders, backing and/or binding. Thought I'd pick up a Daily Deal, yardage and a few other items all for the $5 shipping but it's not going to work this time.

The matching fabric is available at other online shops so I'll order from one of them with the best prices and shipping fees.

Leave a comment:

• easyquilts
    replied

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
    When I buy a jelly roll or layer cake I usually buy an extra yard of a coordinating fabric. That way I have binding to match. I have pretty much quit buying charm packs since they are not enough to do much with. A layer cake and a jelly roll make a decent sized quilt if you add in some background fabric.

I need to start remembering to buy a little coordinating yardage when I buy pre cuts....... I never have what I need on hand...

I still buy charm packs....usually two of a kind.... I like to both look at them, and use them.

Leave a comment:

• easyquilts
    replied

Originally posted by Marty View Post
    I am the queen of pre-planning. I know the person, the pattern, the size, and the amount of extra fabric I need. I have a basic idea about fabric type (floral or masculine or modern or whatever) and then I shop sales, clearance, DDs to find fabric that will work. I often create my own precuts by cutting yardage. It depends what is cheaper. I basically have no stash and I keep the budget under control by completing one project (sew, quilt, bind, gift the project) before I start a second project. My son or my husband help me to figure out the fabric amounts I need. This works well as long as I make zero mistakes cutting. It sounds limiting but it makes me really stop and think before I hit the purchase button.
    Oh, man.... I wish I had your will power, and sense of organization!

I love precuts, and have noticed that I don't buy as much yardage as I used to,,,, My vision isn't that great... great.... 20/40 and 20/200.... And that's corrected... I'm a slow quilter, and I am not the world 's greatest cutter, so precuts are a bin to me ... I use them whenever I can...

Leave a comment:

• VickiJ
    replied

I try to get a yard or two if there are some patterns in the line I really like. I think I learned that lesson with the "Jubilee" line. It was one of my very first loves - and the first things in the cart - when I found this site. I have a layer cake and a charm pack and I didn't even know what I was going to do with it.

But I missed out on buying a bit of the light grey and light purple yardage on one of the prints that I just LOVE - and now they don't even have them listed as "out of stock" any more. Now that I know a little bit more about quilting, I would love to have had one or both of those as borders - or as part of a pieced backing but I missed my chance.

Now I try to get a little bit of yardage to go with!

Leave a comment:

• Racing Nana
    replied

I have never bought pre-cuts. I'm too anal about matchy matchy and I don't know what I am getting in the rolls or packs.

I always buy yardage and then I can control the size of the pieces I need as I am not a plan-a-head quilter and sometimes 2.5" strips is not what is needed when I finally have a lightbulb moment get the plan.

I have some GORGEOUS stuff enroute right now and I have no idea of what I'm going to do with it.

And if I think I need 1 yard, I buy 2. (sigh, gonna need a bigger sewing room)

Leave a comment:

• Penny66
    replied

I buy enough fabric for the borders and binding. Sometimes I'll check out eBay to see what fabric is available for the backing. Also I have a lot of fabric stored in my sewing room, so I check it first to see if I have anything that would be a good backing. Then it is off to JoAnn's to see what is on sale.

Leave a comment:

• Cathy F
    replied

I buy a dd if I really like the fabric. I usually have no idea of what it will be made in to. I should really buy some matching fabric when I do that but sometimes the pre-cuts are a new line and the matching yardage is not available yet as in the case of my Plum Sweet dd, the yardage is just coming online now. Sometimes I have something that will blend from my stash, and sometimes I'm lucky and will find a matching fabric at my local quilt shop.
    Last edited by Cathy F; March 25, 2014, 05:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Vonnie
    replied

If it's a precut that I absolutely love, I will buy 3 yards of coordinating fabric to use on borders. Any leftovers can be made into a matching pillowcase.

Leave a comment:

• dwil23
    replied

I usually have an idea in mind. I may not purchase the matching yardage at the same time, but try to get it fairly soon - before it's gone. I have stressed in the past over making sure I have enough and end up with way more than I need. It helps me now knowing that many designer's lines co-ordinate from one year to the next, so I don't get too anxious over getting enough.

Leave a comment:

• coffeebreak
    replied

Not really to all questions! I seldom buy knowing exactly what I am going to be doing with the color/prints! I don't like buying on line as the colors often differ from what is shown in the image. If a print, not to big a problem, but solids...very often. Plus, i can't afford $10 a yard as most of the online stores start at. I go to Joann's and use their 40.50% off coupons and buy 2 yards. That is like buy one get one free (almost). So I buy the solids like that and then can cut what I need as I need it. For the prints.. I usually do the same, unless I know I will only use 1 yard or less. 1 yard of any fabric is barely enough to do much with unless you have lot of other fabrics to go with it. But.. in doing this, I also usually have enough to use as back fabric...just add a bit of border piecing if needed. But I prefer to cut my own charms. Plus... I usually want more than just one of a print. In a charm pak you get each print in 2-4 different colors... and to me.. I just dont' like working with that. I want 2-4 of the same print to match with other things, not just one.Same for any bundle precut..jelly rolls...FQ's...you only have a limited amount of fabric to use and then you have to have more ...so do you want the same color or several different colors? Just my opinion and preference.

Leave a comment:

• Madeforyouinma11
    replied

When I buy fabric just because I love it and have to have it, I usually buy at least a yard, sometimes two. Then I will get one or two coordinating fabrics to go with it so I know that I will at least have enough to make a quilt top. After the top is done, I decide what I want for a border and it usually changes from when I was looking at a pile of fabric to when it is made into a top. As far as backings go, I try to hit sales for the extra wide backing fabrics and buy at least 3 yards.
    I don't buy many precuts for a couple of reasons...I find some of them to be expensive, and the main reason is most of the time I only like half of the fabrics in the pack. It's just easier, for me, to cut everything myself.

Leave a comment:

• Madeforyouinma11
    replied

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
    When I buy orphan yardage for borders, binding, etc. I buy 3 or 4 yards. I would buy 4 yards if I need to cut the borders along the length of the fabric. I had to match and piece the toile border to keep the design upright on the ends of the quilt. I don't particularly care to piece my outer borders unless I absolutely have to, but I prefer my binding to be cut WOF because it is more flexible. Barb
    I swear we are related! I do my binding like you, as discussed in a separate thread, and now this. Lol I,too buy a larger amount if I think I'm using it for borders because I don't like to piece them either. And, I always cut my binding WOF unless doing a circle or curves, then I cut it on the bias.

Leave a comment:

• MRoy
    replied

I seldom have a project in mind when I buy precuts (or any fabric). I don't get matching yardage at the same time. I have a shop close by where I can get nice fabric for as low as $3 a yard and, so far, I've been able to get fabric there that works with my precuts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X