Irons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irons

I am looking at replacing my iron (just a cheap ol' Target special lol). Since I just started quilting/sewing again, and my projects are pretty basic, which irons would be ideal? I'm not in the position to pay more than 50-60 right now (we are headed to DC this summer so all my extra $$ is going into this fund lol).
    Thanks for any help!
    Wendy

Re: Irons

If you do a search of the forums, there have been several threads lately (like since Jan.) on irons. I have a Rowenta, which I like for the weight, but it sucks water...but to each their own. I would like to get an Oliso like Jenny uses, but I need to save my pennies for that one. There are several levels of Rowenta that won't break the bank. It's funny...even my two sons have Rowentas. My Navy son uses it for his uniforms because "Mom, it gives a good press.." Good luck on your quest.

When are you coming to DC? I would be more than happy to give you some hints....the main one being that it's like living in one of Dante's circles of H*ll here in the summer. It is hot and steamy! LOL. You know it's bad when the dogs race out to pee and race back into the house!

Home is where your mother is..........;)

Comment

I started my iron search by making a list of things I HAD to have, then a list of things that would be nice if I could get them in my price range. Most of the things I really need are based on not having them before - like the ability to turn steam OFF completely without having to turn my iron over and drain the water down the sink (my last one had steam with the top two heat settings and no way to turn it off).

Then I took those requirements and went on Amazon.com and went by customer ratings and prices and figured out what I could get. I ended up with a Rowenta, but I don't know the model number.

Comment

Also look for sales and coupons. I was able to get a Rowenta at a very good price at Kohls, it was already on sale then I had a 30% off coupon.
        You can use your Missouri Star Quilter Points toward the purchase of a Oliso Auto Lift Pro Zone Iron at the Missouri Star which reduces the cost of it. This is what I did to reduce the price of it.
        I did get two irons and use them for different things while quilting.

Comment

I like my Panasonic cordless that I got from Amazon. It was less than $60 and got free shipping.

Just go to Amazon and type in cordless irons.
          Vonnie

Comment

I agree that you need to look for features that are important and shop from there. I always think of Ricky Tims advice (pretty sure he's the one who said it): all irons become incontinent, so buy a cheap one and replace it when it becomes incontinent. : )
            That said, I just returned one to Walmart because the steam holes were too far from the point to be useful for pressing smaller squares. After that, I'm using a Rowenta again. Got it from Joann's on a special deal/coupon...was a great price.

Comment

I love my Black & Decker Digital Advantage. Great price if you have a Bed, Bath & Beyond near you because there are always 20% coupons available. I believe Amazon's price is the same right now (no coupon) but it sometimes fluctuates. Take advantage and read reviews on both sites.

Black & DeckerĀ® Digital Advantage? Iron - BedBathandBeyond.com

Amazon.com - Black & Decker D2030 Auto-Off Digital Advantage Iron -

Comment

I have the Black & Decker Digital Advantage. I really like it, gets very hot and you can shut the steam off if you want to dry iron without emptying the water out. I got it from BB&B with a 20% coupon. My last Black & Decker lasted 20 years but it decided that it didn't like being on 8 hours a day so I gave it to my son. Interesting sidebar - after using this iron for about 2 months the "Clean" light came on. I cleaned it 4 times but the light wouldn't go out. I called the number listed on my Users Guide and the customer service rep told said they would replace it. He gave me the information, told me to cut the plug off and mail it in and they would send me a new iron. I asked twice if they wanted the iron itself and he said no. So we cut the plug off. I didn't want to be without one for 4-6 weeks so my DH put a new plug on it, the clean light went off and it has worked fine ever since. They did send me a new iron so now I have a backup. They only annoying thing is you can't turn off the auto shut off but that works in my household because I would forget otherwise.
                Ann

Comment

I've had 3 Rowentas, and after a couple of years they all sputtered and spit. My DH still uses the professional one to iron his clothes, but it's too heavy for me with arthritis in my wrists and hands. I bought an Oliso on sale Black Friday at Jo-ann's, and love it. I think it has as much steam as the Rowenta, is lighter weight than the Professional and really like the auto life feature. I also have a Shark I bought on sale from Kohl's, and it works well, but I prefer the Osilo.

Comment

I have an inexpensive Sunbeam steam iron with a teflon sole plate that I just love. I have been using it about 15 years. It has auto shutoff, but it heats so quickly that it does not bother me. I also have an old General Electric iron from the thrift store which I use next to my sewing machine and I like that one also. It is heavy and presses nice flat seams. I just don't believe in spending a lot of money for an iron. As far as I can see from the iron discussions, they don't last any longer than the inexpensive ones. JMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Simply Quilting View Post
                      Also look for sales and coupons. I was able to get a Rowenta at a very good price at Kohls, it was already on sale then I had a 30% off coupon.
                      You can use your Missouri Star Quilter Points toward the purchase of a Oliso Auto Lift Pro Zone Iron at the Missouri Star which reduces the cost of it. This is what I did to reduce the price of it.
                      I did get two irons and use them for different things while quilting.
                      wahoo! I love this idea I just got a 30 % off coupon to Kohls...I'm off to check out their website to see what they have lol.

Comment

Originally posted by IBake View Post
                        If you do a search of the forums, there have been several threads lately (like since Jan.) on irons. I have a Rowenta, which I like for the weight, but it sucks water...but to each their own. I would like to get an Oliso like Jenny uses, but I need to save my pennies for that one. There are several levels of Rowenta that won't break the bank. It's funny...even my two sons have Rowentas. My Navy son uses it for his uniforms because "Mom, it gives a good press.." Good luck on your quest.

When are you coming to DC? I would be more than happy to give you some hints....the main one being that it's like living in one of Dante's circles of H*ll here in the summer. It is hot and steamy! LOL. You know it's bad when the dogs race out to pee and race back into the house!

We are coming the week of June 15-20 (or 21..depending on if my hubby takes of the monday or not lol). We are basically just sticking to the "tourist" things this trip, and next year we are planning on returning and doing more. ) thanks for the help and any tips are welcome!

Comment

Working...
                        X