Do you feel inadequate....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you feel inadequate....

if you piece simple squares together? I feel inadequate if I don't do a more elaborate design even though I love the look of the simple squares and 4 patches. I hate that I feel that way, I guess I figure everyone expects more of me but that's my issue, not theirs. Is there a shrink in the house?
    Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Re: Do you feel inadequate....

I too like the simple square and 4 patch patterns. Guess I'm just an old fashioned kind of quilter. I should make more of an effort to move out of my comfort zone I guess but for now I'm happy where I am.
    sigpic
    Teach me your ways, Lord. Help me control
    my tongue and speak words of kindness that
    encourage and build others up.

Comment

I only did yesterday when I went to a quilt show. lol I love squares! I have a pattern in front of me that is a checker board of blue to look like the ocean and then I'm going to applique sea turtles on it. I found what I like to make and I can't keep up with queen and king size quilts with all these elaborate patterns. So there is nothing wrong with squares at all
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I prefer the simple side of piecing. I have a couple of harder ones on my list, but otherwise they are the easier basic ones. Much more enjoyable for me

You have to do what you like or its just not fun
        Karen
        Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Personally, I am not that experienced as a quilter yet, but I make whatever is appealing to me, within the frame of what I think my skill set will allow. I don't worry about peer pressure, it would rob the joy out of the process.
          sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

I'm with Sheri. And I will defo be doing simpler and squares for the foreseeable future. You have to do what makes and keeps you happy, sod anybody else.
            I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
            Lorraine

Comment

I love this forum for inspiration and ideas regarding colors and borders but with all the talent on this forum I often feel like I don't belong. My skill is not at their level. I feel very inadequate. However, I try to remember that my most loved quilts are from my grandma. One is a nine patch and one is a log cabin quilt. I never think about the pattern. I only think about the love.

Comment

I'm an experienced quilter (50+ years) and I love the simple quilts that spotlight the beauty of the fabric rather than the intricacy of the block. Marty, please don't feel inadequate. We all had to learn, and in my case re-learn, how to make quilts. We never stop learning as quilters. Every quilt we make teaches us something. Everyone here should be proud of their accomplishments.

I love the joy and enthusiasm the new quilters bring to our forum. You help keep us oldtimers going and we're always happy to help you and give you encouragement.
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Sometimes I like a blocks that show off the fabric and simple blocks would be the ticket.

Comment

I love Modern Quilts and a lot of times that means simple blocks on large scale. Do what makes YOU happy, nothing else matters.

Your Spring quilt you posted or Fiesta Ware Quilt is adorable and I know several folks in my circle of family/friends who would LOVE to receive that one. Including myself! hehe

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway. Art is Art...
                    sigpic Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

Comment

Who are you quilting for? Do what you find most enjoyable. xxx
                      sigpic Christine.

Comment

No one should feel inadequate here.....so I'm here to tell you,
                        "Please do not feel that way!"

Love your quilt! Very pretty!
                        ~Kathy~

Comment

Please do not feel inadequate or that you can't share our work with us. We all have different styles, but have the joy of finding other people who love to quilt as much as we do. I love seeing all styles of quilts and knowing the love and fun that went into the quilt at all stages - planning, fabric shopping, piecing and quilting.

Some of my favorite quilts to piece are the simpler patterns - I use my quilting as a time for myself and it is therapeutic to hear the hum of the sewing machine.

I will probably never attempt a baltimore album or farmer's wife or intricate applique. I can admire them and all of the work that went into them, but they are just not for me at this point in time - that may change. Quilting for me is a joy and a way to be creative. As I grow and change as a quilt artist, my abilities will change, but my tastes my change too.
                          Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

You should make the quilts that bring you joy. There's nothing wrong with doing simple piecing. It won't be fun if you're doing something you don't want to do. There's no "keeping up with the Jones' " in quilting.

Comment

I feel the same way, especially when it comes to the actual quilting. I feel like a 'cheat' if I do a simple meander or easier quilting. I HAVE done more complicated stuff and while it can look kind of impressive, the actual quilts end up too stiff to snuggle. My favourite quilt to USE? My simple 'X' rag quilt - it is SOOO soft and snuggly! Like everyone says, do what makes YOU happy and don't waste your time on guilt! (Oh, I should take that advice too...I am the QUEEN of guilt!)

Comment

Working...
                              X