question about King Tut thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about King Tut thread

I had previously bought 3 spools of 2000 yards each of Superior King Tut thread at M*. I didn't try to use it until yesterday when I was trying out my new machine. Here is my dilemma. It can't fit on the machine so I used my cone holder. At first my stitches were so loose and loopy. I thought it was the tension. I read the manual and it said that the tension normally will adjust to thicknesses of fabric. I was practicing on regular quilting cotton so there really wasn't any reason for me to adjust it. Back to the manual. I figured that the thread might be coming off the spool to quickly so I used the net that came with the machine for this exact thing. I put it over the spool to slow it down. It worked okay but I couldn't understand why the thread was so tight. I rethreaded thinking operator error, over and over with the same result. So back to the manual. Here is the problem.... the thread fed off the spool correctly until the bottom of the spool. Then it tightened up. Once past that part it was fine again. But I can't have it do that because it starts to bend the needle. I put a regular spool of thread on the machine and it worked fine so the problem is the spool itself and not the thread. How can I use this thread that I spent $70 for 3 spools? I can use it for bobbins but I need to be able to sew with it also. Has this happened with anyone else and did you find a way to work with it?
    Hugs,
    Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Re: question about King Tut thread

My King Tut thread has always fed just fine. Make sure that your arm above your thread stand is directly over the spool of thread. If it's twisted a little you can have feeding issues.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

I love King Tut thread. I have never had a problem with it feeding either. I put it on my vertical spool holder as they do not fit on the horizontal feed.
      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
      Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Iris Girl View Post
        I love King Tut thread. I have never had a problem with it feeding either. I put it on my vertical spool holder as they do not fit on the horizontal feed.
        It doesn't have a vertical spool holder. Just a second horizontal one for the twin needle.
        Hugs,
        Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
        Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

I've never had or heard of this problem either. Sometimes I have problems w/my Aurifil thread, but if I do, I just flip the spool upside down. I don't know if you would able to do this on your cone holder....I've never tried it with mine, so have no clue if it would work or not.
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I'd contact Superior threads and see if they have a solution. They have great customer response. Could be you just got a bad spool.

Comment

I use King Tut thread all the time & have never had a problem with it. Are you using a Top Stitch 90-14 quilting needle? (It has a larger eye.) I use the large cones of thread on my thread holder that sits on the table next to my machine. Make sure the hook at the top is turned correctly & the thread should feed through ok. You might need to adjust the tension of the stitch slightly. Practice on a small sandwich of the same fabric & batting as your quilt. I hope it works for you. JCY

Comment

Originally posted by soul60s View Post
                It doesn't have a vertical spool holder. Just a second horizontal one for the twin needle.
                I'd invest in an off-machine thread stand (or use the center from a tall stack of blank CD's and run the thread up and over the spool holders on your machine.)
                Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I used my serger machine's thread stand until I bought a new thread stand from Superior threads. I've had no problem with King Tut and Superior would be more than interested to know what the problem is, after all, that's their bread and butter.

Probably out there, but it sounded like thread was pulling from underneath thread at the bottom, kind of like when you don't get the end of the thread, but break into the middle of the spool when you can't find the end.....like i said, probably not that.
                  Last edited by Slokarma; March 23, 2014, 02:26 PM.

Comment

I'm so sorry you're having this problem. It sounds so frustrating! I love all the thread I buy from Superior and King Tut is one of my favorites. They do have excellent customer service. Give them a call and see what advice they can give you.
                    Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

Working...
                    X