Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1/4 inch frustration

Just venting a bit here.
    I have this little attachment fabric guide thing that screws onto the plate that I've been using to get my 1/4" seam. Its aggravating because I have to remove it any time I have to remove the plate or change the bobbin. Then pull out the ruler again to set it back at 1/4".
    So, I went ahead and bought a 1/4 foot and went to town. It was so nice not having that big thing there and just sewing away until I discovered that I wasn't getting a 1/4" seam, it was actually somewhere between 1/4" & 1/2".
    As it turns out, the problem is where the needle actually falls. The needle falls to the left of center.
    I don't suppose anyone knows how to adjust that?
    Too bad I didn't figure it out until after I had done most of the sashing. Threw off all my math. Oh well, I fixed the quilt top, just wish I knew how to fix the machine.

Re: 1/4 inch frustration

Check your manual and see if there is an adjustment to move your needle. Most machines have this option and it is just a little dial or lever.. but do read up how to do it .. if no manual, then check online for instructions. Just search the name of your machine maker and the Model number.....
    Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
    :icon_wave:

Comment

On my machine it is the width of a zig-zag stitch that determines where the needle is.....hope that helps!
      ~Kathy~

Comment

Originally posted by Granny Judy View Post
        Check your manual and see if there is an adjustment to move your needle. Most machines have this option and it is just a little dial or lever.. but do read up how to do it .. if no manual, then check online for instructions. Just search the name of your machine maker and the Model number.....
        Originally posted by bkthomas View Post
        On my machine it is the width of a zig-zag stitch that determines where the needle is.....hope that helps!
        I'll look at both of those, thank you so much. I wasn't sure anything could be done, but you give me hope.

Comment

What kind of machine do you have? I know the Brother SB2139 and the PC 420 have the needle start at left of center as a default. You have to push a button to move the needle to center.

I read that one guy called Brother, and learned how to change the default setting to center.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I have 1/4" foot too. I figure as long as I'm consistent with it then all works out in the end.

I hope you find the needle adjustment.
            Sondra J. :icon_wave:

Comment

I have a Babylock Espire and the 1/4" foot with guide goes to war with the feed dogs and I get a wavy seam. So I just use a command strip to guide my fabric - end of war!
              Vonnie

Comment

Quite often the needle position is changed with the stitch width dial/slider. Only if your machine is set to straight stitch though (which it obviously is) as this has no width so the control can change over to needle position.
                I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
                Lorraine

Comment

Your seam being consistent is more important than worrying about a true 1/4" seam. Jenny sews with a fat 1/4" seam. You should be able to change your needle position by changing adjusting the width setting. Your manual will have the answer.
                  Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                  sigpic

Comment

Just a thought...I just took a class and Jan Krentz emphasized testing your 1/4 inch seam any time you start a new project, take your machine to a class (it might jostle) or even change the thread type.

The test is to take 1 1/2 strips about 3" long and sew 3 together side by side. Measure and if the strip isn't 3 1/2 inches, adjust and retest and mark on the machine where it's accurate.. She had us mark the place it was accurate on our sewing machine with a narrow strip of blue painter's tape. My accurate spot is actually slightly inside the 1/4 mark on my machine.

Comment

Well, its a Singer Quantum Stylist 9960. I don't see anything in the Instruction Manual on needle center adjustment. I can adjust the straight stitch width to give me the 1/4". I just have to remember to do it every time I turn on the machine, because the automatic setting goes back to the left of center. The difference is almost 1/8". It wouldn't have annoyed me so much, I have two different size blocks in this quilt top and using sashing to adjust so the rows are the same, but the rows didn't come out the same because the sashing wasn't as big as it was supposed to be because of that 1/8" difference.
                      Anyway, I'll work with what I have, and see if I can get an answer from the manufacturer. Now that I know how to adjust it I should be ok. At least until I want to sew on a button, not sure how that's going to work.
                      Thanks everyone for all your input. I really appreciate it.

Comment

If I'm working on a project that requires me changing needle position and stitch length, I write it on a sticky note and attach it to my sewing machine to remind me to change it.
                        Vonnie

Comment

I changed the default setting on my machine because it wasn't 1/4". You should be able to do that with ay computerized machine. Maybe someone with your machine can tell you how to do it.
                          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RoseMA View Post
                            Well, its a Singer Quantum Stylist 9960. I don't see anything in the Instruction Manual on needle center adjustment. I can adjust the straight stitch width to give me the 1/4". I just have to remember to do it every time I turn on the machine, because the automatic setting goes back to the left of center. The difference is almost 1/8". It wouldn't have annoyed me so much, I have two different size blocks in this quilt top and using sashing to adjust so the rows are the same, but the rows didn't come out the same because the sashing wasn't as big as it was supposed to be because of that 1/8" difference.
                            Anyway, I'll work with what I have, and see if I can get an answer from the manufacturer. Now that I know how to adjust it I should be ok. At least until I want to sew on a button, not sure how that's going to work.
                            Thanks everyone for all your input. I really appreciate it.
                            I have that same machine and you change the needle left to right in the stitch mode. If on the straight stitch (is that #1 I think) press the X button where it allows you to change the length of the stitch, and there is an arrow to the left of that and that will move the needle left or right. It can work for exact 1/4"... I think it was 6.1 setting. But..as you say, I would always forget to change the needle location! It is set where it is when it turns on, which isn't 1/4"...and you have to manually always change it yourself. I forgot all the time! I even put 6.1 in big letters on masking tape and taped it to the machine...did I notice it? No! I'd do half a dozen seams and then think "oh crap.. I didn't change the needle!" and then have to rip it all out! The machine comes with a seam gauge bar...metal bar with a green screw thingy that screws it to the machine. I use that all the time. A bit cumbersome, but a 1/4 inch seam every time. Just put your needle down and measure with hem gauge to 1/4" and set the edge there and screw it down.
                            Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

I was amazed when I took the beginning quilting class I took. I used one of the shops machines and got the D9P done in the class. I liked it so much I decided to make three more panels and make a queen size quilt out of it for my bed. I put the second panel together and laid it on top of the original panel and much to my horror it was considerably smaller. I was using a 1/4" quilting foot on my machine so I being the newbie (substitute idiot) figured a 1/4" is a 1/4". But it wasn't, I hadn't moved the needle over so I had a really fat 1/4". The machine I had didn't allow for moving the needle, so I bought a newer machine and a 1/4" foot for it. So I made a panels 3-5 on the new machine, making sure I was keeping to the correct size. I used some of the smaller blocks for pillow shams and a couple of throw pillows. They are the correct pattern, just smaller pieces.

So I learned that you should finish a project on the machine you start it on, or at least make sure you are keeping your seam allowance consistent.

Comment

Working...
                              X