So so ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So so ugly

So, what do you guys do with a truly hideous quilt? I started a quilt for my son years ago and recently decided I should finish it. Well, I didn't know anything back then and I bought Symphony broadcloth from joanns. Ugh. So some is cotton and some is broadcloth and it is all ugly. Then I decided to try and stitch in the ditch. That has not gone well. I also started quilting thinking that the batting package said every 10 inches. Well I looked closer today and it says every 2 - 4 inches so I'm having to go back and try to fill in all these places where there isn't even a ditch. The whole thing is just a bunch of mistakes and it has turned out so ugly! I'm sure my son won't care as he's only 4 and no one sees his room, so I may just use it anyway, but every time I look at it, all I can think is that it's so ugly! I'm still working on quilting it, but I just want to throw it away, but I've spent so much time and money on it!

Anyway, I was wondering - have you ever made a quilt and hated it? What did you do with it?

Re: So so ugly

Yes, and I give it away to the low man on my quilt totem pole. I lied, I just keep it around for the grandkids to play on.
    Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

Mistakes on quilts that you feel are not worthy of seeing the light of day can become dog quilts for the animal shelters. That's what the quilt instructor told me to do with my first machine quilted quilts that were't suitable for a human to use. However, you probably are being too hard on yourself, and your son will probably love it!

Just use 100% cotton in the future, isn't that sympathy broadcloth a cotton poly blend?

Comment

Yes, i would say there is a dog or cat that would probably give it lots of love. Its also great for a camping trip as the blanket to sit on outside around the campfire. Or a great picnic quilt.
        Karen
        Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Keep it, use it, and look back at it once in a while to see how far you have come!
          Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Comment

Keep it around to remind yourself that you are human, make mistakes and learn from them.

Comment

Well, maybe I'll like it more when it's finally finished. And my son isn't too picky. :-) Thanks for your replies. When he outgrows it I think I'll take one of your suggestions and make it an outside or dog blanket.

Yes, symphony broadcloth is a poly blend. Back then I didn't even know I should be looking at that. It was over with all the other fabric I thought was used for quilting and it was the cheapest. I certainly learned my lesson. When I tried to iron it, it just shriveled up. Oh well, I guess if I learned something then it can't be a complete waste, right? :-) I also learned I prefer FMQ to stitch in the ditch. I don't think I'll be trying that again any time soon.

Comment

I have one on my design wall right now, don't like it a bit but have put too much time, money and effort into it to junk it. It is sandwiched and deserves nice quilting but it may end up with a big meander that can be done pretty quickly.

Comment

Picnic quilt for outside on the ground. My kids used to love to have a special lunch in the grass of the backyard.

Comment

I think we all have at least one hideous quilt in our quilting history. You could keep it in the car for emergencies or if you have a dog or cat maybe they would love it. It could also be a picnic quilt that can go on the ground. Shelters for people and animals can always use blankets.
                    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Ugly quilt dog.jpg

We all have at least one ugly. Sorry to say, my dog wouldn't even go near my ugly one!

Comment

On top of dryer, under dogs and cats, in car for emergencies or in trunk for wraping up groceries that need to be kept cold .
                        "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
                        Hillary Clinton

Comment

Yes, I've had a similar experience. But after having had that similar experience, these days I would practice FMQ and binding and cut down to make DOG QUILTS. My dog loves his quilts...yes, that's with an S....LOL.

Comment

Well, I made my daughter a quilt out of mostly cheap Joanne fabrics (some blends and some clothing type) when she was at college. She wanted one they could sit outside on at concerts, etc. It is reallyugly and I didn't know what I was doing at all, but it's been used a lot in the last 14 years and is a favorite of hers. They've even named it, "Blankmongous," because I kept telling her the size and she kept wanting it bigger. I kept adding and it's big! I'd be so embarrassed if anyone I know who quilts saw it now, but it's had a lot of love and use anyway. I've taken "learn to quilt classes" since then.: ) I'll bet yours be fine.

Also, my closet has some of my other ugly ones. Most turn into UFO's.

Comment

My dogs have wonderful dog beds that are really UGY people quilts. So I think that it is a good idea to give bad quilts to the dogs.....HOWEVER, it seems that my 2 dogs have taste and I have found the ugly side of the quilts turned down to the floor and my 88 lb. and 100 lb. dogs standing and giving me the evil eye for putting the ugly side up for them to lay on! <<<shaking head>>> They are supposed to be color blind!
                              Home is where your mother is..........;)

Comment

Working...
                              X