Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you expect on a quilt shop bus trip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you expect on a quilt shop bus trip?

I am curious what others expectations are when you get to a shop... I love kits, it makes it so easy to get what you need- ( material, pattern) and then off to the next stop. I usually try to find a kit that will remind me of that shop on the trip, not something generic that I can pick up anywhere.

I also like the convenience that they have picked the fabric for you and you have an expectation of what the finished project is...

I have been on a tour once where the owners just greeted you, and had no kits, or anything precut... it was a pain because you had to wait to get stuff cut if you wanted to make a quilt like the sample, and then they ran out of fabric so I couldn't even finish out the pattern... bad deal!

I know bus trip season is upon us, so I am just trying got decide which trip to go on.... what are your great expectations??

Re: What do you expect on a quilt shop bus trip?

i have not been on a bus trip but they do have the shop hops around here. I did one of those last year - not as much fun as i had hoped for. i had already been to all of the shops and can go to them any other time - they did not really offer anything "special" for the hop so i felt it was not very productive.

Precut kits exclusive to the trip would be at the top of the list for what to expect. Great idea!
    Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
    hugs, Suzi
    http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
    it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

Hmmm. I have never bought a kit for a quilt.
      I can see where on a bus trip that would certainly make the purchase easier though.
      I would expect that the operators of the bus trip would have set up the stop a head of time with the owners. The shop should have some extra staff on hand for cutting and checking out.
      I would also suggest that they have a healthy stock of patterns for the sample quilts they have. I have also seen some tables full of quilt kits that the shop can't get rid of. The fabrics might have sold for other projects if they were still on the bolt. That has to be a fine line for the shop to walk. I would also consider making a block or a mini-quilt of the sample in a different color way too. Then if you run low on the original fabrics, the quilter's would be inspired to make one in a different color choice. I guess it comes down to the staff of the place, and how they are willing to help their customers find what will work.
      Have fun on your trip!
      Be who you are and say what you feel
      because those who mind don't matter,
      and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

My plan for the MSQC bus tour is to buy fabric for one random block in each store we visit to make a Civil War era quilt of various designs. Does that make sense?
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

oh sandy - that is a great idea! each shop could have a preselected block pattern (with yardage requirements) to represent their shop and then the quilter would create the block in their choice of fabrics - the resulting sampler blocks would be so fun!!
          Last edited by pdjewelrylady; May 12, 2011, 09:23 AM.
          Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
          hugs, Suzi
          http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
          it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

I also went on a CT shop hop and wasn't impressed. However, Mass had a great shop hop that had a theme whereby each shop offered the pattern and fabric for one block. If you completed the hop you had enough block patterns for a quilt. This was fantastic. Only one thing would have made it better....if I had gone!
            Susan

Comment

Sandy,
              Great idea... I too love the civil war era type fabrics, but I find the selection quite limited in some shops. I have favorite quilt shops for civil war fabric, one for my fav Kansas Troubles, and then one I usually frequent for brights and modern fabric. Rarely do I find in my travels that I can get the same line of fabric across multiple shops unless it is a tour or shop hop and well-planned!

Comment

Hey, Shiny Thimble,

Join the MSQS bus tour leaving the shop June 3-4. There are 8 buses following each other in a loop through NW MO and SW IA. All are great shops- 'cuz I picked them. Email me at [email protected] for more information. The MO * gang has fun things in store!

Carolyn

Comment

Would love to, but it is in the middle of spray season (corn, beans) and wheat harvest will be starting likely in western Kansas... not a good time.

Comment

I would look for a "theme" with a pattern and make a scavenger hunt type of tour. Ex: patriotic with star pattern.. then look for those fabrics with red, white & blue. Or try: HOME SPUN and look for those vintage fabrics. ** if the stores are into having these tours, perhaps a phone call to alert them of the Theme and have a table of fabric set up and available corner for the HUNTERS..

I would have to know ahead of time the prices on these fabrics.. so having the store's co operation is a must if the Hunters could only afford to spend say $5.00 on a piece of fabric.. x's 10 store= $50.00. That would be above the tour cost. Hmmmm... where is this TOUR ?? How do ya sign on??
                    Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                    :icon_wave:

Comment

Working...
                    X