Quilting Magazines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting Magazines

What is your favorite quilting magazine?? And why???

There are so many out there and I am looking for one that is for an intermediate quilter

Re: Quilting Magazines

I like to flip through them and see if there are any projects that catch my eye. That's why I don't subscribe to one ( except BLOCK), you might get magazines that don't have projects that you have no interest in making.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
      I like to flip through them and see if there are any projects that catch my eye. That's why I don't subscribe to one ( except BLOCK), you might get magazines that don't have projects that you have no interest in making.
      Yeah, I tend to try to flip through and see if one catches my eye and not so much looking for one to subscribe to just ones that tend to have easy to follow instructions and such I might have to get BLOCK....
      Thanks

Comment

I don't subscribe to any either. But just picked up block too. If I'm down the isle I will flip through, mostly for applique ideas and patterns.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

So for those of you that have a copy of BLOCK are you loving it?? Are the directions easy enough to follow?? I am horrible at ready directions LOL

Comment

BLOCK is the only one I subscribe to. I like having the written directions to go with the videos. Also, even though money is tight, I like what I see the Doan's doing and want to support them and their community.

Comment

Originally posted by Susann View Post
              BLOCK is the only one I subscribe to. I like having the written directions to go with the videos. Also, even though money is tight, I like what I see the Doan's doing and want to support them and their community.
              Thanks! I think I might have to get that. I love her tutorials and how they all look beautiful without being complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by kmerfeld View Post
                So for those of you that have a copy of BLOCK are you loving it?? Are the directions easy enough to follow?? I am horrible at ready directions LOL
                The one thing about any of the projects that have been published through or by MSQC is that you get the directions two ways, printed and with a tutorial to back it up ( or visa versa). It helps the visual learner and the one who wants a written direction. Plus the printed versions give specific amount of yardage for different sizes of quilts, which the videos don't really go into.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                  The one thing about any of the projects that have been published through or by MSQC is that you get the directions two ways, printed and with a tutorial to back it up ( or visa versa). It helps the visual learner and the one who wants a written direction. Plus the printed versions give specific amount of yardage for different sizes of quilts, which the videos don't really go into.
                  Well I am for sure sold on it now I am a visual learner for sure so it will be nice having it written with a tutorial to watch too. Thanks everyone I appreciate it

Comment

When I first started quilting about 10 years ago I subscribed to several mags. I've since gotten much wiser and as others have said, take a look at the new issues before purchasing. Only subscriptions I now have is Block. Do sometimes pick-up. Fons & porter, McCalls, Quick-Quilts, Quiltmaker.

Comment

BLOCK is the only quilting magazine I subscribe to at the present time. It's well worth the price with lots of quilts and great directions, especially if you use pre-cuts. I'm probably in the minority, but I prefer yardage as I get too overwhelmed with lots of different fabrics in a quilt. However, I can take the magazine to the LQS and the ladies there can figure how much yardage I need for a particular quilt. The only other sewing related magazine I subscribe to is SEW BEAUTIFUL which started many years ago as a magazine for heirloom sewing. It has evolved over the years to include heirloom sewing, lots of modern children's clothes, projects and quilts. I sew mostly children's clothes and a few quilts for use on beds in our home.

Comment

I subscribe to McCalls (my favorite of all time). BLOCK, Quilty and American Patchwork & Quilting. I will not renew American Patchwork & Quilting even though I've been a subscriber for several years.
                        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I don't subscribe to any, any more. Too many times you get entire issues with nothing your interested in.
                          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                          Sigmund Freud

Comment

I used to subscribe to several quilt magazines, but I found too often that the patterns were simply the same old blocks, all be it done in different colors, fabrics or settings. I let all the subscriptions expire. I still look at the mags at my LQS or the grocery store, but I rarely buy them anymore, unless there is an article I want to read. Money is tight for me, so I need a really good reason to spend it. .. I still have a whole bookcase of reference books & with the internet & this forum, it's not like I'll run out of ideas any time soon.
                            May the road rise up to meet you...
                            May the wind be always at your back...
                            May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                            Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

I have a ton of books and magazines from years ago by various quilting "experts". At the time they all used templates that you had to make yourself, cut everything with scissors and I had no clue what I was doing. Everything seemed too difficult and time consuming. Consequently they have been sitting in the attic or basement with nothing being made from them. Now that I have learned some things I may go back and see if I can adapt some of the patterns that I liked to Jenny's way of doing things. If not I think I will donate them to the library or somewhere.
                              Right now I subscribe to BLOCK and QUILTER'S WORLD. Many of the patterns that I like on E Patterns are ones that first appeared in QW. I also like having the written directions and fabric lists from Jenny's videos in BLOCK. I also find many things on line that are free, so I have waaay more patterns than I will ever be able to make, but I still enjoy flipping through he magazines in the stores. I'm sure if something REALLY catches my eye, I would buy it.
                              :icon_wave: Linda
                              "Home is where they love you"

Comment

Working...
                              X