So daunted - almost gave up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So daunted - almost gave up

I finished my first quilt top 6 days ago but couldn't face the next stage. Yesterday, I thought if I don't do it now, I'll never do it so I set to sandwiching it. I couldn't do it on a carpet so I took it to the kitchen floor. What a nightmare!!!!! I tried for ages to layer it but everything just kept slipping around and I had no masking tape on hand to tape it down. I was close to tears and decided that I probably wouldn't finish it and worse, would never make another quilt. I'm not a quitter, in fact I hate to be beaten by a craft problem of any sort, but this had me. I put it away.

Then....I discovered the table top method on YouTube and figured, nothing ventured nothing gained. At 11.00 this morning I went to the post office and got some bull dog clips. By 11.30 my quilt was sandwiched, taut and ready for pinning. Sooooooooo easy and the beauty of it is, I can sit down to pin it so no back breaking bending. It's already half pinned.

Don't think I'll be giving up after all.
    I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
    Lorraine

Re: So daunted - almost gave up

Good for you! Sandwiching is my least favorite part of quilting.

Could you post the link to the youtube video?
    Vonnie

Comment

Where there's a will, there's a way. Youtube has some good instructional tutorials. Glad you got it done.

Comment

Free Motion Quilting, Beginner Tutorial 2 (of 4) "Spray Basting Wall" - YouTube

I found this video and this woman makes her quilt sandwiches on the wall! Personally, I think I like this idea the best. I can't imagine I'll be making anything this big any time soon - but I am not one for bending and getting on my knees for any size so even if it's small I might try this.

Can't wait to get my own place so I can have a design wall and my own custom cutting table. LOL - then I'll really be dangerous.
        Vicki
        Is a Nine Patch part of a 12-Step program? :icon_beuj:

Comment

Was this the one? I posted it last year.

How to Sandwich a Large Quilt on a Small Table - YouTube
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Yay! Don't give up, All new things tend to have a learning curve, and can get frustrating at times, but when you keep at it, and work through it, the success is one awesome feeling.
            sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

So glad you didn't give up!
              sigpic

Comment

I actually tried the one where you sandwich on the wall and I didn't care for it. Maybe it's just me lol
                Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

Originally posted by GinnyKNC View Post
                  I actually tried the one where you sandwich on the wall and I didn't care for it. Maybe it's just me lol
                  Care to elaborate? Really - just curious. She makes it sound like the greatest thing in the world so I wouldn't mind hearing a differing opinion. I was already thinking I'd have to work something else out for all the newspaper, but maybe it's not worth it.

I just know I probably won't be able to send all my big quilts out to a long armer and if I'm just going to stitch in the ditch - I should be able to do that myself - which means I'd have to tackle that sandwich eventually.
                  Vicki
                  Is a Nine Patch part of a 12-Step program? :icon_beuj:

Comment

Sandwiching a quilt is a back breaker! I'm so glad you found a way to make it doable for you. I would hate to see you throw in the towel. Best of luck, Barb
                    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I pin baste my quilts on my design wall. I use pins and painters tape to hold it all on the wall and then pin together.
                      It's a lot better for my knees and back.
                      Sherry

Comment

You're braver then I was, I had 4 tops done before I got the courage to move to the next step. Then I had 3 sandwiched before I forced myself to actually sew it all together. I went the spray basting route 'cause it seemed easier and I really liked it. I did it on a floor though. Wish I had a table big enough to do it on because as has been stated I find it really hard on the back. Scary steps but with each try I learn something new and something else clicks in so just keep going! You will love it when you can see the finished project and know you did that (even if you're like me and can see all the little mistakes that nobody else will care about ).

Comment

Sharon Schamber has a great method too on you tube. I don't know how to link the video, but if you type in her name, her videos will come up and it's called "basting a quilt". She used boards and does it while sitting at the table.
                          Cil
                          A quilt is a blanket of love
                          http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
                          http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

Glad you didn't give up. It is an awesome feeling when you finish your first quilt! I tried quilting long ago and gave up on it. Then gave it another try about a year ago and have been addicted ever since! Wish I had not gave up so quick the first time. I missed out on a lot of quilting I could have been doing with my Mom!

Comment

Glad you didn't give up. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished quilt.

Comment

Working...
                              X