Did I REALLY do that? JEEZ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I REALLY do that? JEEZ...

Today I machine bound my binding to the WRONG side.
    Yup, I did. Thankfully, it was just a mug rug....
    Has anyone else ever done this?
    As they say, misery loves company!
    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Re: Did I REALLY do that? JEEZ...

There are no wrong sides - only creative opportunities to learn a new way to do binding! Some people always machine stitch to the back first and then machine stitch down the front....Others machine stitch to front, fold to back and stitch in the ditch on the front hoping to catch it on the back or hand stitch it down on the back.....so no wrong sides!
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

I haven't done it to the wrong side, but I have caught other fabric (like my shirt) whenhand stitching. I am sure we have lots of company on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by ilive2craft2 View Post
        There are no wrong sides - only creative opportunities to learn a new way to do binding! Some people always machine stitch to the back first and then machine stitch down the front....Others machine stitch to front, fold to back and stitch in the ditch on the front hoping to catch it on the back or hand stitch it down on the back.....so no wrong sides!
        I always sew the binding to the back side, then I machine stitch on the front. This way the front looks better cuz I can see/control the stitching.
        May the road rise up to meet you...
        May the wind be always at your back...
        May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
        Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Originally posted by Quiltfreestyle View Post
          I always sew the binding to the back side, then I machine stitch on the front. This way the front looks better cuz I can see/control the stitching.
          Patt, that scares the BEEJEEZUS out of me!
          I still machine bind in the front, and had stitch on the back....

Comment

Originally posted by tamsterg7 View Post
            I haven't done it to the wrong side, but I have caught other fabric (like my shirt) whenhand stitching. I am sure we have lots of company on this one.
            Okay that made me laugh. I don't hand stitch so I was wondering what else was going on that caught your attention
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Sorry, guys. I could never have that much confidence in my machine skills.
              NO control on where the stich lands, front nor back....
              A FEW more years under my belt, may be a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by New York Sue View Post
                Patt, that scares the BEEJEEZUS out of me!
                I still machine bind in the front, and had stitch on the back....
                Funny! I practiced on several charity quilts first. Also I use my walking foot to stitch it down & go slow,,,,,,
                After doing several of these I figured out exactly where I need to keep the edge of the WF so the binding lines up just right. I have to say that I'm getting pretty good at this, which is necessary for me. I have arthritis in my hands so I can't do the hand sewing for very long..
                May the road rise up to meet you...
                May the wind be always at your back...
                May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Whew . . . enough true confessions from everyone else so I don't have to share what I messed up today.
                  Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                  it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                    Whew . . . enough true confessions from everyone else so I don't have to share what I messed up today.
                    You served oatmeal to a bunch of kids?
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have machined sewed binding to the wrong side before. Lucky for me it was for a 5 year old great nephew. After I sat and looked at it for a couple of days, I decided he was going to be rough on it so it was best to machine sew it all the way.
                      Vicki C:icon_hi:

Comment

I hear you.... Everytime I try to machine quilt binding to the front, it is a disaster....totally.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Originally posted by tamsterg7 View Post
                          I plead guilty in this as well!

Comment

I've only every machine bound my quilt...the thought of hand stitching fills me with dread. Maybe its about how you first learn to do something?

Comment

SITD is painful and slow. But I really do not have the patience to hand stitch the binding which is even slower.
                              I machine stitch the binding to the front of the quilt, turn it to the back and hand baste it (that is the only time I allow myself to watch TV) making sure that the stitch line on the back is completely covered. And then, I SITD from the front, slowly, almost one stitch at a time. My Janome has an adjustable speed and I make sure it is set to the slowest.

It helps a lot if the color of the border, the binding and thread color match well. It hides the mistakes better :-)
                              Preeti
                              http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X