Organizing left over material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organizing left over material

How do you all organize and cut up your left over material?
    Lisa

Keep calm and quilt!

Re: Organizing left over material

Oh, Lisa, if I had a magic answer I'd package it and sell it on ebay!! I usually fold up anything that's left from a project and stick it in a gallon zip-lock bag. Then when I need small pieces for something I start sorting through the bags . . . not very organized, logical, or efficient, but the only thing i would do different (given time and energy) would be to precut to specific sizes before stuffing the zip-locks.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I don't cut them into matching sizes, because I may end up wanting a piece 8 inches later on instead of 6 inches. I separate the colors into different rubbermaid bins that fit under the bed. Yellow and orange fit in one box. There's no room for another box under the bed, so fabrics with multicolored prints go in a box in the closet.

Comment

I have a plastic 3 drawer unit and I put the 2.5 in the first drawer, 3 in the next and bigger in the last. Anything bigger than a scrap but smaller than a fat quarter size...I put in a bigger drawer. That way I can go to the drawer of the size I need instead of searching through a big bucket or all sizes. I try to keep pieces as big as possible as you can always cut smaller, but you can't make them larger!

I recently went through all my scraps to cut 2.4 squares for a swap and the problem I noticed was...the bigger ones were really wrinkled. Even tho I tried to lay them flat they were still wrinkled. I refuse to iron scraps, but still....how does every one deal with wrinkled scraps?
        Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

If I pull out a wrinkled scrap to use, I press it when the project starts. That way I'm only pressing a few wrinkled pieces. Not a whole drawer full.

Comment

The small pieces I put in clear shoe boxes by colors, or like colors, saving up to do a string quilt. I use the comic cards and sandwich what I cut off inside the folds, that's from yardage. For the precuts they end up in bags like Sandy said. It's always a wrinkled mess. lol I'm going to try and iron them first before slipping in the bag.

I must be typing slow because everyone said wrinkles before I could post
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

My scraps are out of control right now. I've been doing what Sandy has been doing - stuffing them in bags and then going through them when I need a little something. At a certain point I get frustrated with the whole thing and donate my bags of scraps to the guild and I start over....! I'm good with the larger cuts, it's just the scraps that bother me. If you come up with something wonderful let me know.
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to figure out how to start organizing my leftovers. I don't have many yet, but I was trying to figure out what to do with them from the start.

Comment

I do what Hulamoon does. Clear shoe boxes. I have 2 small shelves that hold them and they are sorted by color with one for christmas fabric scraps. Even my leftover jelly strips go in there.
                  Hugs,
                  Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
                  Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

This is what I do.....any scraps from the center of my project...(not the sashing or borders or binding) I cut up into the largest available block or strip as follows: 10"square, 5"square, 3" strips, 21/2 strips and 2"strips...anything smaller goes into a bag for filler in pillows etc....hope this helps...I keep everything stored in containers.....separating only the whites out as you sometimes need those with other blocks...

Comment

I just did this for my scraps and so far, I am really liking it. All yardage is on comic book boards, anything between a fat quarter and a full yard are just folded - not sure I am happy with them, but they are no longer in one big bin to rummage through.

IMG_1486.jpg

I still need to get a few colored bins but was making sure which colors I needed - definitely need pink and orange/yellow and then one more. I may get a white one and move them from the off white bin and put all of the multi colored scraps into the off white bin.
                      Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

I'm going to try (the operative word being "try") to get my smaller scraps cut into strips or squares, no less than 2" wide then sort by color. I don't have many scraps so it's a good time to get started organizing them.
                        *~* Myrna *~*
                        *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I have a bookshelf in my sewing room that I have baskets on that hold my scraps. Each basket is a different color fabric. Yardage I fold using my 6" wide ruler and then stack them. bookshelf.jpg
                          LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

I love this idea!!!

Originally posted by ilive2craft2 View Post
                            I just did this for my scraps and so far, I am really liking it. All yardage is on comic book boards, anything between a fat quarter and a full yard are just folded - not sure I am happy with them, but they are no longer in one big bin to rummage through.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71065[/ATTACH]

I still need to get a few colored bins but was making sure which colors I needed - definitely need pink and orange/yellow and then one more. I may get a white one and move them from the off white bin and put all of the multi colored scraps into the off white bin.
                            LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

I toss my leftover scraps into a basket. When the basket is full and I'm between projects I press and cut the scraps and sort them by size and put them into photo boxes. Now if I could just come up with a project for all these scraps!! Patti

Comment

Working...
                              X