X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coffeebreak
    replied
    Re: Starting to think about....

I was raised on a Necchi, but got a Singer in 1985 and LOVE it. I still have it and it runs like a pro and I have more miles on it than I do my car! Never a problem, just a maintenance run every few years for cleaning and realignment etc. But I wanted one that did better with FMQ'ing so I bought another Singer thinking the same thing. I know Singer has been bought and sold a time or two and now Huskvarna (sp?) owns and makes Singer and I know they are good..they make tractors too! So I bought a Singer 9960 Quantum Stylist. Had all I wanted etc. But I am not to happy with it, mainly for the thread issue. Even if I pull both threads out 3-4 inches, I can't start a seam at the edge of the fabric as the top thread will pull out of the needle and at best, the threads will bunch on the bottom and either look bad or cause a jam. So I always have to use a "thread head" to start. Plus,the top thread also has to be pulled out at least 3-4 inches just to make that first down and up action or it pulls out, and since the needle threading area on the machine is totally enclosed, if the top thread pulls out, you have to unthread the whole machine to get the end to re thread it and they say it can be hard on the tension issue to pull a thread out backwards....but on this machine, there is no other option. Plus winding the bobbin, again, you have to unthread the whole machine and wind, then rethread. My 1985 Singer...you left it threaded, just opened the bobbin cage, pressed a button and pressed the foot pedal and it wound...automatically stopped when full and then you just close the cage lid and start sewing! That FANTASTIC feature for some reason they chose not to carry through on the new ones I guess. So I don't have good vibes about Singer anymore, but have heard great things about Janome. Granted it oculd just be this Singer, but still.... in buying a new one, make sure it has the features you like in the old one. That's at least a good starting point to find one you like.

Leave a comment:

• coffeebreak
    replied

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
    Something to think about in the mean time - you were concerned that it might have been an electrical issue with your machine - breaker or fuse, etc. Something I think everyone should do and especially with the high end machines is run on a UPS - uninterupted power supply or at the very least a high end surge protector. A power strip is not the same thing as a surge protector. A fifty to one hundred dollar investment is nothing when you are talking about protecting a machine that costs several thousand dollars.

Whatever you decide to get, I hope you enjoy it.
    Very interesting thought! I didn't think about it that way. I have mine plugged into a power strip along with a light and iron so I just turn on one button and everything I need turns on...my theory is that I don't forget to turn something off. This way one button does it all. I think I'll look for a power surge protector instead of the strip.

Leave a comment:

• Madeforyouinma11
    replied

Thank you for the input. I have plenty of time to decide. I think I'm going to go to the dealer and try some of them out. They actually have the 15000! Even if I can't buy it, trying it will be so much fun.

Leave a comment:

• Andrea F
    replied

I got a Janome 8900 for christmas and so far I love it. I have a dealer here in town but there are no classes probably because the store is so tiny that only a few people can stand in it. We ordered the machine online and I got a good deal on it. It has so many bells and whistles, it's probably going to take me forever to get to know her completely. A class would have been great but I guess there must be some youtube videos on how to work with it.

I kept my Brother Innovis 30 as a backup machine. I love it too, but there is such a tiny throat space that managing bigger quilts was a struggle.

Leave a comment:

• Lilly
    replied

I love my Janomes - I have 2; one is a DC 2030; a lightweight (12 pounds) and cost $400.00, the other a MC 6300 cost about $900.00 and is 28 pounds or so. I love them both for different reasons and am so glad I have a back-up Janome if anything goes wrong - tho it never has. That said, I'd never buy a machine if I didn't have a dealer I could trust close by. A good dealer might just trump the type of machine. I get free classes anytime and he's there for questions etc and that is priceless to me.

Leave a comment:

• K. McEuen
    replied

Something to think about in the mean time - you were concerned that it might have been an electrical issue with your machine - breaker or fuse, etc. Something I think everyone should do and especially with the high end machines is run on a UPS - uninterupted power supply or at the very least a high end surge protector. A power strip is not the same thing as a surge protector. A fifty to one hundred dollar investment is nothing when you are talking about protecting a machine that costs several thousand dollars.

Whatever you decide to get, I hope you enjoy it.

Leave a comment:

• Madeforyouinma11
    started a topic Starting to think about....

Starting to think about....

getting another sewing machine. It won't be for awhile...maybe a long while, but I'm trying to do some research now. As some of you may know, I thought I had killed my Singer one night this past week. Luckily, it's ok, but it got my hubby and I thinking. I used to love Singers..I learned how to sew on a Singer and they are the only machine I have ever sewn on. I have three of them and I can see the difference in all of them. They are definitely not made the way they used to be. I still love all of my Singers, but I told hubby that the next machine I buy will probably be my last so I want it to be a good one. He seen the new Janome Memory Craft 15000 and wants that for me. I told him, that although it is a beautiful machine, it is way too much money. He always looks to get the best of everything for me and I love him for that.
    I think I would like a janome machine. They seem like they are very good and a very durable machine. I have read a lot about them and we have a dealer close by. I've heard good things about Brother and Pfaff machines too but haven't got a dealer close by which is why I'm leaning towards a janome.
    Sorry for the rant, but I guess I'm looking for input on some of these machines so when the time comes, I will have all the knowledge I need to make the right decision.
Working...
X