Which machine for beginner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which machine for beginner?

I am in the market for a new sewing machine. I've been using an inexpensive Brother but now I'm having lots of problems with the tension. It's not really worth the cost to have it repaired so I'm looking at other options. As far as skill level, I'm pretty much a beginning sewer and I've just recently started quilting as well. I don't do anything fancy, and I'm just looking for a basic good quality machine. I'd love to have an auto thread cutter, since one of my biggest hassles is cutting my thread and then not having enough through the needle. I constantly have to rethread after cutting, even though I use the cutter on my machine so it should leave a long enough tail. Otherwise all I really need is straight stitch, zig zag stitch, a button hole option, and ability to quilt. I'd really like to keep it under $200. Do you have any recommendations?

Re: Which machine for beginner?

Any machine that you buy for $200 or less will have a small throat space. If you want to make quilts larger than crib size it will be very difficult.

Jean bought a little Janome for traveling and for her grandkids to use. I can't remember the model number, just that it was the Hello Kitty one. Maybe she will swing by here and fill in the blanks.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

You could get a refurbished machine too. I was in my shop the other day and they had lot's of them. I didn't look at prices though.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I would suggest for your budget, go to your local sewing machine dealer and see what they have traded it. You can get a serviced machine with many nice features for much less than purchasing a new machine. I bought my Pfaff used from a dealer and paid about a third of what a new machine would have cost.

Comment

Originally posted by BobW View Post
          I would suggest for your budget, go to your local sewing machine dealer and see what they have traded it. You can get a serviced machine with many nice features for much less than purchasing a new machine. I bought my Pfaff used from a dealer and paid about a third of what a new machine would have cost.
          That's what I was thinking. Don't pay for bells and whistles that you will never use. I just bought an old Pfaff 1151 for $150 because i love that IDT for straight stitching. I'm thinking you will get more for your money out of an older, well cared for machine.

Comment

Thanks. I'll see what is available locally.

Comment

Auto needle down is a great feature when piecing.
              Sondra J. :icon_wave:

Comment

I agree, these are great suggestions. Check on a refurbished/used machine at your local dealer(s). Be sure to test drive the ones you are interested in. You want a good straight stitch, reliable tension, and the capability of adding a walking foot. Bells and whistles are nice, but you don't really need them.

sigpic
                Marci

Comment

Working...
                X