Sewing table or cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sewing table or cabinet

Do you have a sewing table or cabinet that lets your machine sit flush with the surface? I am considering purchasing a new cabinet/table. What brand do you have and are you satisfied with it? I would appreciate any advice or recommendations you have. I know I'll get good advice from you ladies on the forum.
    sigpic
    Teach me your ways, Lord. Help me control
    my tongue and speak words of kindness that
    encourage and build others up.

Re: Sewing table or cabinet

Yes, I just got a Koala sewing cabinet so my machine now sits on a self that can be adjusted up or down. I've never had my sewing machine sit flush with my sewing surface before now and I'm wondering why I waited so long! I love not having to shove my fabric over a ridge.

Comment

Look in my albums and find the picture of my sewing machine. I had seen in a book how you take an old kitchen table, cut the footprint of your machine out of it, place a shelf for your machine to sit flush w/the top of the table, and had my husband make it for me. It is fabulous! Our old kitchen table was from IKEA and only cost $100 to start with, so even if you bought it new, it isn't that bad of a price. I think it is 3' x 4' and I love it! He set it far enough to the left that I can set supplies in a container I have to the right and have lots of sewing room on the left. I know on the left I have a 24" wide cutting mat, so it has at least that much space there.
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Yes! Eleanor Burns and her sons have a video on taking a table and converting it into a flush-mount sewing table. It's a very practical and economic project. Thought I'd give you a link but I'm having trouble finding the video.
        Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

mine is an old Bernina cabinet , hubby and I have worked to fit my Pfaff. I love the machine sitting flush.
          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
          Sigmund Freud

Comment

My Janome 7700 came with a table that the machine fits into. When I traded up to the 8900, luckily that machine has the very same footprint.

image.jpg
            Hancock sells a similar generic table.

I also have a folding SewEzi table that can be adjusted for any machine ( except really huge ones!). They make a plexiglass insert to fit around the machine base to make the tabletop flush. It can be folded and has wheels on it so you can take it on quilt retreats. Stiching Woman, Bernice has two, one for her Featherweight and one with a flat top for cutting and pressing! She is an " on the go" kind of gal!

image.jpg
            Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; March 15, 2014, 01:39 PM.

Comment

I have the Koala Quiltmate Plus IV and I love it. Lots of space for cutting, quilting and storage. It does have a large footprint but luckily I had a large room to put it in. It was a Christmas present from my DH.
              Ann

Comment

I was lucky enough to come across a really nice sturdy sewing desk with an old Singer touch and sew in it. Had DH remove it and build me a shelf to set mine into. He even drilled a perfect hole so that I can still use my knee lift, I couldn't live without that!

SAM_6675.jpg

My shoulders are ever so thankful!
                sigpic

Comment

You can look in my albums where I show off my new sewing space. I use our porch to sew in but sometimes it needs to be a porch with most of my sewing stuff put away so my sewing machine is in a custom cabinet with a lift. The guy who did my kitchen cabinets came back and built a high cutting table/storage area and on the other side of the room he put in the sewing cabinet. I love it and it works as a side table when the machine is down inside.

Comment

Ok here is what I did. I sew in a loft which only has 1 full wall ( which has a double window, and a 1/2 wall. I took 2 folding tables and made a L shape. In the corner is my Mack Computer. To the left of center ( short leg) is a cutting station, then further down to the left is a ironing station. Ok, back to center. On the right leg ( a 6 foot table) is my machine space. I ordered 2 pieces of 4ft x 3 ft sheet insulation. It comes in many thicknesses, just measure how deep you need it and you can order 2 sheets accordingly. I think I needed like 2 1/2 inch and 1 1/2 inch for a total OF 4 inches. I stacked these on top of each other with a few glue drops to hold them together, layed them down all the way at the end of the table, set my machine where I wanted it and traced around my machine. Cut out the shape, lay on table and set machine down in the hole. Instant quilting table, machine is flush. Now my insulation lacks like six inches being as wide as the table, but I have a tool holder that is the exact size, I set it behind, and Presto, it stays in place. The nice thing about this is these insulation sheets have a shiny silver side which is quite slick helps fabric slide across, another thing I like is it is like styrofoam, so you can stick pins in it as well. Anyway it's not pretty, but it works excellent. I had the tables, so this cost me like $25 bucks. I also store plastic totes under it and have 2 three drawer units on casters, they slide right under it. Honestly if I come across fabric cheap enough that I love I will probably make floor length table clothes to make it pretty as well. I'm sure at some point I will come across a desk or table my DH can modify, but for now this works great. At some point I will take a pic
                    Keep the Faith

dizzyLiz

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=1196342

Comment

I dipped into my retirement money and got a Koala table. It has an extension on the back that comes up. Its just the smaller one with the extension. Couple shelves places, but I have to get my brother to make me the shelves because they were way to costly for just a little piece of wood to use as storage. I love it! Am so happy I spent the money. Now I need to get someone to help me put together a cutting table. Will do it soon. I have saved some directions from others.
                      Karen
                      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

We bought a dining room table at goodwill for $50. My hubby cut a hole in it, and used carriage bolts to suspend a platform under the table to hold my machine. It's the best $50 bucks we've ever spent!!! But of course I have a dedicated sewing area and I don't have to worry about putting things away.
                        Attached Files
                        LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

I have a Horn table and I LOVE it! I have the lift, so my machine can sit on top of the table for embroidery, or flush when I am sewing.

It makes all the difference in the world when you are quilting big quilts to have a large, all one level, surface.
                          Cathryn

Comment

I have a Perfexion quilters cabinet and a a 3 drawer caddy that fits under the cabinet. My cabinet has a lift,and a large leaf that folds down on the back side of the cabinet When the leaf is up it gives you a really large area behind the machin and it has a large area to the left. I have been very pleased with the quality. I ordered it off the internet and it was delivered fully assembled. All together it cost about $1200 but that was about 6years ago. My favorite thing is having my machine flush with the cabinet, your quilt doesn't get hung on the machine. Hope this helps you.

Comment

I also have a SewEzi table and just love it! (the one like Jean showed) It is sturdy and I have it set up with another table behind it and another small table to the side where I have my ironing pad.
                              Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Comment

Working...
                              X