X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easyquilts
    replied
    Re: I broke down and ...

Sorry, folks.... But the Shark went back.... It was just too big and heavy for me....and....there was no way to tell how much water was left... The steam was awesome, though.

The iron I am replacing was left here by the previous owner, and I began during it when Soencer... The big black Chi hopped up, and knocked my it on on the floor... It worked well, but that plugging and unplugging thing got to be too much.

So.... I returned to my fav iron... I bought a good Black 'n Decker, that was marked down to twenty dollars... It 's small. Just heavy enough, and I can see the water level... I 'm happy.....

I keep trying the larger, expensive irons....would love to have one....but they never feel right in my hand..,, at least I son 'to have to drawl under the table anymore!

Leave a comment:

• Simply Quilting
    replied

Enjoy your new iron. I'm glad you found one that will work for you. I never knew how difficult it was to buy an iron until a couple months ago when I needed to get a new one. So many choices but finding one that you like and won't break the bank - yikes, not for the faint of heart.

Leave a comment:

• bkthomas
    replied

I want one! HawaiiRoxy has one!
    The one I have - I have to un-plug to shut it off......I want a Shark!!!!
    Glad you got one!

Leave a comment:

• bubba
    replied

I have a Rowenta, and I agree with you, they are heavy. For that reason, I replaced it last fall w/a Olisio which I love. While it is large, it weighs less than the Rowenta does. I also think it heats faster.

While I was at Sew Expo last year, I saw an ironing board cover that is made of Teflon and you need to use as hot of an iron. Well, I did not buy it because I had just bought a new board and did not know the measurements of it. This year (just a couple weeks ago), I was at Sew Expo once again and I watched the demo and bought it. I don't think I will ever ever ever buy any other kind of cover. This thing is fantastic! Yes, it was expensive, but in this case, you clearly get what you pay for.

Leave a comment:

• cyndiofthevortex
    replied

I had one of those plug and unplug ones! I bought it at a thrift shop for $3, so no big loss when I sent it packing. Why oh why would anyone design an iron to do that? I loved everything about it except that one feature and that was a deal breaker.

I was just thinking today about having a back-up iron, which I do have. I recommend everyone have one! Just something really cheap so that you won't go bonkers if your main iron decides to quit on you when you're "in the zone" quilting. Sort of like making sure you have enough sewing machine needles.

Congrats on the new iron and IMHO, keep the old one just for emergencies!

Leave a comment:

• Jerry's wife
    replied

I'd get a new iron too if I had to get under a table to unplug & re-plug it back in. Kudos to you on your new iron & a more happy Quilting time for you! Now, if you are not under the table, you have MORE time to SEW!

Leave a comment:

• edwina
    replied

let me know how you get on with the iron,Irons are one of the things that are quite cheap in the UK ,Happy ironing

Leave a comment:

• songbird857
    replied

good luck! Let me know how you like it - I have a shark vacuum, which I love

Leave a comment:

• easyquilts
    started a topic I broke down and ...

I broke down and ...

bought a decent iron.... My old one was becoming a pain.... The only way to activate it, after the light wrnt off was to crawl under the table, then unplug and plug the thing in.... A real pain.... Both literally and figuratively.

I nought. Shark... The Rowenta felt too bug girls my small hands...although, if the Shark doesn't work out, I may reconsider the Rowenta.

This is my first iron that cost over 15-20 dollars... It was forty dollars, and heats up to 1600 watts, which is much more power than my old iron had...

Now to test it out... Let's hope it works as advertised... I want to work on my JRR2..
Working...
X