Modern trick to a shoofly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modern trick to a shoofly?

I am thinking about making a throw for my teen step-daughter who never seems to have an interest in my quilts. But I am gonna do it. She happened to see a picture of a disappearing pinwheel block that I was showing my husband and she said she liked the shoofly block. She loves only black and white so I was thinking of a white background and multiple black and white prints for the shoofly.

For the back I was going to make it all white so she could have friends sign it and leave her a message.

So.. Do you think that idea would be modern enough and be interesting for a 17-18 year old? And what pens are the longest lasting? I know there have been a ton of threads about pens but I thought I would ask while I was posting.

Thanks!
    :icon_wave:

Have a wonderful day!

Friend me on Facebook under Kelly Howell Faulconer

Re: Modern trick to a shoofly?

I use Zig Millennium pens...but heat set the signatures (iron them) before washing no matter what pen you decide on. Use an archival pen. You might want to consider having them sign before quilt is put together. Ironing on freezer paper to the back of the fabric makes it easier to sign.
    SandyWhite
    Ocala, Florida
    http://handpiecing.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by SandyWhite View Post
      I use Zig Millennium pens...but heat set the signatures (iron them) before washing no matter what pen you decide on. Use an archival pen. You might want to consider having them sign before quilt is put together. Ironing on freezer paper to the back of the fabric makes it easier to sign.

Thank you. Heat set with no steam right?

Have a wonderful day!

Comment

I have also been searching for modern looks to traditional blocks for the same reason. I want to give a throw to someone who says she doesn't like " patchy" stuff. (But always watches TV wrapped up in a quilted throw). Check out this quilt. Algonquin Quilters Guild 2008 Raffle Quilt. Found it via Google. It would look good in black and white. I am thinking of making one throw sized in dark and medium blues and with out the triangle boarders.
        "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
        Hillary Clinton

Comment

Originally posted by Marta View Post
          I have also been searching for modern looks to traditional blocks for the same reason. I want to give a throw to someone who says she doesn't like " patchy" stuff. (But always watches TV wrapped up in a quilted throw). Check out this quilt. Algonquin Quilters Guild 2008 Raffle Quilt. Found it via Google. It would look good in black and white. I am thinking of making one throw sized in dark and medium blues and with out the triangle boarders.

Thank you Marta. I looked that up. I love the different colors that they used.

Here is one I found on pinterest. I could not figure how to save the picture so I took a picture with my phone. It is a bad pic. But you can get the idea. They said they used a fat quarter bundle for the shoofly and Kona ash as the background color. It makes it modern looking. This pic looks like the shoofly that Jenny Doan does with the disappearing pinwheel. I think my idea will be cool.

Your idea for that other one in blues will be cool too!
          Attached Files

Have a wonderful day!

Comment

The Micron pens also work well.
            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Sounds like an interesting idea! However, I would still check with your stepdaughter before starting. You don't want to put all the money, energy and time in and then only get an unenthusiastic "yeah, it's nice"! Maybe you can pitch your idea to her and also let her look up patterns. Maybe she'll find one she likes even better. You could also go farbric shopping together. Might be a nice bonding experience!

Comment

Having friends sign the back would make the quilt priceless -- she just may not realize it until they all go off on their own. What a wonderful gift you would be presenting...at a special event with those friends in attendance, of course!

Quilter's Rules:
                #1 Buy fabric - no matter how much you already have.
                #2 Sew all day and all night - no cooking allowed.
                #3 Start a new quilt before the last one is finished - must return to #1.

Comment

Working...
                X